Louisiana-New Orleans

no RSVPs in New Orleans?

My DOC and catering manager both told me that I should not expect RSVPs from a lot of New Orleans people.  They both said - don't worry about the RSVP's, just count on 80%.  I'm not from NO, but my fiance is, and the majority of the guest list is NOLA natives.  Is this lackadaisical attitude toward RSVPs true?

Re: no RSVPs in New Orleans?

• cm10/10cm10/10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've never received one from a Nola wedding- only out of town ones.  I only did them because I had about 80 oot guests and I needed to know for transportation and rehearsal plus wedding.  I received about 80% of my cards back from locals and out of towners which I thought was really good.
  • edited December 2011
    My cousin said it was a complete waste of time. She said she only got back RSVPs from the family--in other words, people she knew were coming already. That being said, I'm sending out RSVP cards and I and my MIL will be calling anyone who doesn't RSVP--we're just too tight on our budget and guest list for monkey shinings. 
  • kennywalkkennywalk member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow so it's true!  That totally vindicates my decision not to use mail-in RSVP cards to save money, which I had a hard time selling to my mom, the stationery girl, and others.  We are sending a card listing email, website, phone, etc. and requesting RSVP instead, but now I'll know not to expect a response from all of those NOLA guests.  Thanks a lot!  
  • edited December 2011
    Um, what?

Sorry, but I've never heard this. Maybe my family knows a thing or two about manners, but we always send back our RSVP cards, and we've lived here for generations.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Visit NewOrleans.Weddings.com

Nov '12 September Siggy - Bridesmaids!
    bridesmaids-2
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • hollybee92hollybee92 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

The way I read it, she wasn't saying NOLA people are rude and don't send back RSVPs, just that RSVPs aren't common. I live on the MS Gulf Coast, and I've only had 2 weddings with RSVPs, which I promptly sent back. 90% of weddings I've been to (or been invited) didn't have a RSVP included (some over 300 guests invited). I'm doing very limited paper RSVPs (40 for people I honestly don't know if they will be able to make it) and website RSVP as another option.

Looking back on it, I wish I would have done all email/phone RSVPs.

• Kate504Kate504 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i guess i just don't recall RSVPs, the only weddings I have been to recently are ones that I have been in.

I'm pretty sure my sister had RSVPs for her wedding, but i don't remeber much talk about how many people sent them back, but then again she didn't care to much about anything at the end and just wanted to get married.
    BFP #1 6/18/2012 // EDD 2/28/2013 // Birthdate 2/7/2013

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• edited December 2011
    OOoohh, I like the idea of only sending them to the people who are maybes!
  • edited December 2011
    I HAVE LIVED IN NOLA MY WHOLE LIFE AND I ALWAYS RSVP...
  • zoopsiedaisyzoopsiedaisy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Recently I have seen a decline in the use of them, but until these last 3 or 4 wedding I've been to people have always sent them with the invite.  I remember surprised the first time I didn't get one and thought it was an oversight.  But it wasn't!  I guess it is up to you and your budget.  I'm going to send them and hope for the best!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    i think its been hit or miss with RSVPs in wedding invites I have gotten. I am not doing them but I am going to put the website on the invite asking people to RSVP on the website. Hopefully it works! ha! We shall see!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I sent rsvp cards with my invitations a week ago and have gotten 98 rsvp's back.  NOLA people do rsvp!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker 220 Invited image
    195 Ready to rock image
    12 Party Poopers image
    13 Needs to decide fast image RSVP Deadline: Past Due
  • meganfauermeganfauer member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    New Orleans is a place of OLD TRADITION and old true tradition states that sending a wedding invitation with an RSVP is tacky so that is what they could of meant when they told you this. 
    I think that if you send RSVP's in your invite (which I did b/c i needed a head count) then you will get responses. I think that unfortunately manners have gone out the window ALL OVER THE USA and you might not get people who RSVP b/c there mothers did not teach them to do so. 

BUt maybe that was what they meant when they said in New Orleans there are no RSVP''s. Just a thought. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards