Louisiana-New Orleans

Communicating with Florists?

We are on a pretty tight budget when it comes to the flowers, so I've reached out to a few of the vendors that people have mentioned on here with quality work at lower prices. We had pretty much decided on one of them, but have not yet put down a deposit because of a few hesitations. It's important to me that I meet my vendors before signing a contract with them, and I've expressed this to her several times. I understand how busy she is as a one-woman show, and I know lots of people hire vendors without meeting them until the day of without a hitch, but this is just something that has really helped to put my mind at ease throughout the planning process. However, she insists that she is so busy that she does not have time to meet any time soon, and that it really isn't necessary to meet until we get closer to our date anyway. She has also been extremely difficult to get in touch with, both by email and by phone, sometimes taking weeks to respond! I've heard nothing but rave reviews about her, and many people even say her lack of communication in the planning process is nothing to worry about, but I can't help but wonder - if this is how she is now, how will she be on our wedding day? Has anyone else run into this problem with the lower budget florists? Should I start looking for other florists or tough it out with her? Any suggestions for good, reliable, communicative florists in NOLA that won't break the bank?

Re: Communicating with Florists?

• I think if people act like this when they are trying to get their business, it's very indicative of how they do business in general.  My florist does not email, so I'm not sure that she would be a good fit for you, but I've PM'd you with the name and contact info of a florist that my cousin uses that works out of her home.  I think she is pretty reasonably priced.
  • For some reason, I can't PM you but here is her info.  She lives on the northshore.

The  florist's name is Jan Hunter. Her house # is (985)871-0278 and her cell is (985)502-3335. Her email is hunterte@att.net.
  • That's exactly what I'm afraid of! Thanks for the info. If you don't mind, please send me your florist as well when you get a chance - I don't mind communicating by phone if she gets the job done!!
  • I hired Meade Wenzel.  She is very well respected, does fabulous work and has great prices, but isn't always that communicative.  I've given her direction of what I want things to look like and I'm basically letting her do her own thing.

As I mentioned, if you are a really hands on bride, she will not be a good fit for you.
  • I'm not sure who you are talking about, but I hired Christina O'Malley.  I am a type A control freak, super organized personality, and I was comfortable hiring her and paying her deposit based on only a few emails.  I have never met her and not sure I ever will until the day of (or that I need to).  My wedding planner recommended her, my venue coordinator seconded that recommendation and had nothing but good things to say, and she has nothing but great reviews on this board.  Since you are like me and going with a budget florist, I assume that flowers aren't at the top of your priority list.  My attitude was this woman knows what she is doing, the professionals I have hired approve of her, and at the end of the day if the flowers aren't absolutely perfect I will not be crushed because my attention and top priorites are elsewhere as indicated by my budget.

Also, is it possible that you have been trying to communicate with her during the busy season of the last couple of months?  I've noticed  alot of vendors have been slower to respond in the last couple of months and even my own WP (who is normally super responsive) has been bogged down.  Not an excuse, but maybe that is a factor??  Good luck....I'm sure it will work out for you.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I've decided not to go with a florist. I found the prices to be a little steep and their  not very important.We're just doing candle decor and maybe a few rose petals on the tables. But that does leave a big question for flowers for myself and my bm. Not sure how we're going to handle this,just yet. 
  • Thanks NO2012, that helps ease my mind a bit. I have the same attitude towards flowers as you. What's really putting me off is her lack of communication. I don't live in New Orleans, and I can't make it down there to meet with my vendors very often, so I really rely on phone and email communication. I've expressed my concerns to her, but she really has done nothing so far to try to accomodate my situation. I understand and appreciate that she is focusing on her current brides, and I can only hope that she will do the same for me when the time comes.. However, with the way she is dealing with me as a potential customer so far, I am starting to feel like she doesn't need or appreciate my business! I just wonder if she will be that wishy-washy on the day of our wedding...
    Sarahgetmarried - that's not a bad idea. I think the candle decor and petals will look great on the tables. We are doing the same with most of our tables - just small, simple arrangements for the family tables. Maybe you could contact a grocery store flower department or a small local florist for you and your bridal party's flowers?

• Check out fiftyflowers.com - you can order bouquets and bouts or order flowers to make your own.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • CMB3912 Thanks for the info. I've been looking around the Fifty Flowers website. I think that's what we'll do. But I am glad we chose to go with candles only, the pictures that Nikki sent were very pretty!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards