Louisiana-New Orleans

New Orleans/Mardi Gras Bridal Shower ideas

HI,
I am new to the boards and can use some help. My BF is getting married in New Orleans in April. I will be her Maid of Honor. I would like to have a New Orleans/ Mardi Gras themed bridal shower in February. It will be at another bridesmaids house and it will be relatively small (about 30 people). I would like for it to be fun  and different. This will, hopefully, be a do-it-yourself shower. I would appreciate any ideas to make this special. Decorations, food, music, etc... thank you in advance!

Re: New Orleans/Mardi Gras Bridal Shower ideas

• louisianabluelouisianablue member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Definitely order a king cake and maybe serve some daiquiris.
  • edited December 2011
    Mardi Gras colors are purple, gold and green.  You'll  want beads and masks.  There's so many things you can do.  You can drape the beads in chandeliers, you can put them in a clear glass vase or just scatter them on the table.  You'll want to be sure everyone has some to wear.  I have seen mardi gras centerpieces of palm fronds (very easy to get in S. Fla - don't know about NY), peacock feathers and a mask mounted on a dowel. 

I had a mardi gras party and bought some spanish moss at a craft store and draped it along with beads from my chandelier.  It looked really good. 
    I handpainted a sign that said "bienvenue" and stood it on an easel by the front door.  I actually had several signs including "laissez les bons temps rouler".   We served hurricanes but as PP suggested dacquiris might be a better choice for a shower.  The king cake is a great idea!  Either way, you're sure to have a lot of fun. 
  • edited December 2011

As PP suggested, it would be easy to decorate with Mardi Gras beads, masks, doubloons.  You could have a signature drink like hurricanes, frozen daiquiris, mint juleps, etc.  Another idea is to have a jazz brunch theme and serve mimosa and bloody mary.

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_louisiana-new-orleans_new-orleansmardi-gras-bridal-shower-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:84Discussion:ca6cb99a-0ec9-40c2-8285-e3ea39000787Post:5b1747c4-93e4-4d09-8514-38b935aba5e3">Re: New Orleans/Mardi Gras Bridal Shower ideas</a>:
    [QUOTE]As PP suggested, it would be easy to decorate with Mardi Gras beads, masks, doubloons.  You could have a signature drink like hurricanes, frozen daiquiris, mint juleps, etc.<strong>  Another idea is to have a jazz brunch theme and serve mimosa and bloody mary.</strong>
    Posted by NolaWhit[/QUOTE]

<div>LOVE that idea.  Definitely the most "local" suggestion. I've never been to a shower with a daiquiri or hurricane, but I've never been to one without bloody mary's and mimosas.  Use Zing Zang bloody mary mix; it's what all the restaurants here use. </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
  • edited December 2011
    You could also play NOLA-themed music (look for the Mardi Gras iTunes list and I'm sure there is a Pandora Mardi Gras channel). 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    If you are looking for cute decorations / favors, check out this site:

http://www.mardigrasoutlet.com/C179D17/Cajun-Novelties.html

There are a lot of cute items (love the crawfish soaps!) and not super expensive :)
  • leesa623leesa623 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you all for the really great ideas. There is so much I can do with this theme and it's overwhelming.. That website is amazing and I will be sure to order a lot of stuff from there. The Pandora music suggestion is very helpful..the drink suggestions are great too. Any ideas on some food dishes that everyone may like?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards