Louisiana-New Orleans
Options

New Orleans Pharmacy Museum

Hi--I am brand-new to these boards and to wedding planning and to being an organized human being who keeps a folder full of ideas and dates.

I am getting married in about a year and a half--autumn of 2013--in New Orleans. I live in San Francisco. I have no idea what I'm doing.

So far, I am thinking hard about having the ceremony and the reception at the New Orleans Pharmacy Museum. I'd love some help/comments/anything.

--how was your experience there?
--what have you heard about it?
--how much did it cost?
--can you recommend a great caterer?
--etc?

Thanks!

Re: New Orleans Pharmacy Museum

• Options
    Congratulations & Welcome

I did not get married there, but I did tour the facility just last month & have some photos that I took on my cell phone (my camera battery died). They are of the courtyard area only.  I also did a vendor recap with my opinions on the venue if you search the boards from a few weeks ago. The courtyard is 2200 s.f. and can seat 130. 

I saw it in the early morning hours (as opposed to the evening when my wedding would be) and have not been able to locate a lot of photos online of the area actually set up/decorated for a wedding. Hopefully some actual Pharmacy brides will respond.

If you want to see the pictures or any other info  just send me a PM. 
    Good luck with your planning. These boards are a great resource. 

The rates I was quoted were as follows::

One Hour Ceremony:  $950.00
    includes venue space, 1 on-site staff person and 1 security/doorperson

Three Hour Reception:  $1250.00

Four Hour Ceremony & Reception:  $1550.00

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Thanks! I'm sending you a PM in a second.

Anyone else?  Bueller?

Bueller?
  • Options
    I looked at it for my reception and I thought it was just ok.  It has great potential, but I think they could spend some money on sprucing it up.  Also, the bathrooms were pretty old looking.  Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but it wouldn't be a bathroom I'd want to use while in my wedding dress.  JUst my two cents.  Good luck!
  • Options
    Thanks! What did you end up choosing?
  • Options
    Hi Claire!  I am newly engaged and planning a destination wedding in NOLA as well.  But not until May of 2014.  We're on a pretty tight budget (around 10,000) and have been looking for venues, The Pharmacy being one of them.  It is really difficult to find good photographs of the spot...I stumbled upon a few at this website:

Like you, we aren't nearby so we can't visit as readily, and so I would appreciate any additional photos that other Knotties may have or other stories about the site!
  • Options
    amiyazamiyaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited January 2013

I live in New Orleans and am starting my wedding planning for an October 2014 date.  I happened to stumble upon this courtyard walking through the Quarter today and it was right up my alley.  It is quirky with different bottles in the museum and the courtyard has a separate entrance if preferred.  It feels very old New Orleans without much decor needed.  I've since been searching the internet for wedding photos myself and it is quite slim.  I'm planning to have a very small wedding with only have 50-75 people with a $10,000 budget, but my initial inquiries have been disheartening.  Some moderate sized venues start at $2,000 an hour and others are $7,000 just for the space prior to catering costs.

I've heard that Napoleon House is a great value for the French Quarter.  Also, Mason de Macarty in the downtown neighborhood (Bywater) where I live has the best prices I've found as for $4,000 you'd basically have run of the entire B&B for two days including a 2 night rental of their 8 rooms for you and your guests.  They have a chef in house, or you could get outside catering.  Another small venue (50 people max) is Feelings Cafe that is really lovely and in the Marigny.

Places that are out of my price range, but that I liked are::  Race & Religious, Hermann-Grima House Museum, Latrobes, and Bayona.

I feel that putting over 100 people in the NO Pharmacy space, unless full cocktail reception style with a buffet and a very small/non-existent dance floor would be pushing it.  I thought it would be ideal for my proposed smaller group, since it is an intimate and private space.  Don't get me wrong, it is small, but it is stunning...took my breath away to the point that I'd love to at least have my ceremony there.  Another bonus - you can write-off the cost for the Pharmacy Museum site rental. 

http://www.abryanphoto.com/blog/tag/new-orleans-pharmacy-museum/

• Options
    My fiance and I have had our hearts set on the Pharmacy Museum (long before we were engaged), and have been totally and utterly saddened at the Museum's lack of response.  I have emailed, gone down there in person, and unfortunately no one seems to have any interest in helping me (despite the fact that they told me dates were "filling up").  After looking at many other venues and even tossing around the idea of hosting the wedding at our Uptown home (we're working with a 10k budget), my fiance encouraged me to go back to the Museum and try once more.  I am really excited at the responses on here (pricing, space s/f, and your opinions) it gives me a huge amount of hope that our wedding could be perfect at the Museum.  Thank you everyone.  Here's hoping that I can talk to them in person and find a mutually agreeable date!!! :)
  • Options
    We are having our wedding at the Pharm Museum in October. When we booked several weeks ago, there were no Saturdays left, and only two Sundays left in October. 
    We have worked with Stephanie Macklin, and she's been great. Maybe if you ask to speak directly with her you'll have more luck.
    Happy wedding planning!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards