Louisiana-New Orleans

Ceremony and Reception Locations

I have no idea about where I can look for good places to have our ceremony and good places to have our reception.  Where are some nice places that won't hurt my wallet TOO badly, but ar still nice and pretty?

I'm also trying to find a wedding dress.  I've gone to David's Bridal, and they had a couple nice dresses, but I fit a size 2 and they hardly have any size 2 dresses that I like.  Where else can I look?  Has anyone shopped at Pearl's Place?  How was it?  Has anyone had a good/bad experience shopping online?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Re: Ceremony and Reception Locations

• edited December 2011
    At the House of Blues you can have your Ceremony and Reception both on site.  The Ceremony would be an outside tented courtyard and reception in a beautiful room called the Parish!
  • edited December 2011
    I second the vote for House of Blues - we are having our wedding reception there next year!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    On the dress thing, I'm a size 2 and I found my dress at David's Bridal.  I kind of understand your hesitation on their dresses, but when I tried on the one I fell in love with and the girl helping me pinched the waist back to fit me, I knew it was perfect.  And that's how it'll look once it's altered. 

I went to Pearl's Place and hated the experience.  I've heard that from a bunch of different people--here on theknot and elsewhere--but I'd definitely give them a shot, just to explore all your options.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Sorry, forgot to ask--how many people are you looking at for the reception and what reception budget are you looking to keep around?  House of Blues might work.  My FH and I are over at Magnolia Plantation in Metairie, and it's a reasonable price (everything, like DJ, centerpieces, unlimited food and open bar, linens, etc. included) if you are looking for something more traditional-esque.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • phunluvin82phunluvin82 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Like PP said, how many guests (ballpark) are you planning to have.  That would affect what types of places I'd recommend...possible venues for a 50 person wedding will be very different than a 250 person wedding.

Regarding the dress, I think I'm not understanding the question...is it that you can't try the dresses on in your correct size, or that they literally can't even order certain dresses for you b/c they are not offered in that size?  Because no matter what size you are, you pretty much have to expect that the sample sizes will not be your correct size and they have to clip and cinch them every which way to show you how it 'would' look.  Unless b/c of time-constraints, you can't have one ordered and need to purchase a sample gown.  And then, either way, there are always alterations...
  • skatoryskatory member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I ended up getting married at a private home but I wanted the have the ceremony and reception at the Wax Museum. I think it's called Muse Conte wax museum. I love the idea that the guests could roam arounf the little museum. A real NO feel. I ended up getting my dress back home but did go into Pears place (the one in Metarie, dont know if there's another) and it was a not so enoyable experience at least for my BM and I.
  • amyj54amyj54 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Maison Dupuy - it was an amazing place to get married - centrally located and amazing food.  Christie Anderson is an angel and walks through everything with you and has wonderful suggestions for vendors.  I give this place an A++++ can't wait to go back for our 1 year! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards