Louisiana-New Orleans
Options

Post Wedding: Name Change

I am looking for advice on what I need to do to change my last name.
It's hard to find reliable information on what you need to do.

So far what I have found: it looks like you have to have the certified copy of the license (ordered at an extra cost from the marriage office). It seems like this step alone can take months. And then you take that to the DMV and go from there with SS and credit cards, etc. 

Looking for anybody with experience dealing with this.
Thanks.

Re: Post Wedding: Name Change

• Options
    Thats pretty much it. I received our copy about 6 weeks after I ordered it. Our bank accepted the memento copy we were given the day of, so that's all I've changed so far. I'll hopefully make it to the DMV next week. Really, just make a list of all your ID type things, bills, memberships, lease, etc and go through it.
  • Options
    agueor1agueor1 member
    First Comment
    edited November 2012
    Ladies of Louisiana! Just an fyi, below is the process to change your name:

1. Social Security Administration: Go to the Social Security office FIRST and present your certified marriage certificate. There are no fees imposed to change your name.  Ask if they process the change instantly or if it takes 24 hours. If it is instant, they should give you two letters. One will have your new name with your SSN and the other letter will tell you that the new card should arrive in 2 weeks.

2. DMV: Go to the DMV ONLY if the social security office gave you two letters and processed the change immediately.  They cannot process your change if you do not have this document. If you don't have two letters, wait until your new social security card arrives in the mail then go to the DMV.  Once you have either the letters or new card, go to the DMV and present your current license, proof of insurance, certified marriage certificate (not marriage license), and registration.  They will then process your new DL and registration.  You can also update your name on your car title. If you choose to do this, you will need to provide your current title as well.  If you have moved and are updating your address AND name, you will need to also present three bills or statements that include your new name and new address in the address block.  

Tip: if you live in New Orleans, go to the social security office in New Orleans, not Kenner. The Kenner office does not process changes the same day like the New Orleans Office so you would have to wait until your new card comes in before going to the DMV.

Just thought I would save you some time!!! 
  • Options
    IHey ladies!  does anyone know if we can go to ANY Social Security office? I heard the one in Kenner is way less busy than the one downtown New Orleans.

thanks!

n Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_louisiana-new-orleans_post-wedding-name-change?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:84Discussion:ef4011c0-7b67-4cfc-81e8-cef4de6bc35dPost:ec3fb0ad-f095-4aad-b055-8408bf4cb96e">Re: Post Wedding: Name Change</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ladies of Louisiana! Just an fyi, below is the process to change your name: 1. Social Security Administration: Go to the Social Security office FIRST and present your certified marriage certificate. There are no fees imposed to change your name.  Ask if they process the change instantly or if it takes 24 hours. If it is instant, they should give you two letters. One will have your new name with your SSN and the other letter will tell you that the new card should arrive in 2 weeks. 2. DMV : Go to the DMV ONLY if the social security office gave you two letters and processed the change immediately.  They cannot process your change if you do not have this document. If you don't have two letters, wait until your new social security card arrives in the mail then go to the DMV.  Once you have either the letters or new card, go to the DMV and present your current license, proof of insurance, certified marriage certificate (not marriage license), and registration.  They will then process your new DL and registration.  You can also update your name on your car title. If you choose to do this, you will need to provide your current title as well.  If you have moved and are updating your address AND name, you will need to also present three bills or statements that include your new name and new address in the address block.   Tip: if you live in New Orleans, go to the social security office in New Orleans, not Kenner. The Kenner office does not process changes the same day like the New Orleans Office so you would have to wait until your new card comes in before going to the DMV. Just thought I would save you some time!!! 
    Posted by agueor1[/QUOTE]
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards