Louisiana-New Orleans
Options

Tip before reception?

My wedding is later this month, I had my final meeting with the reception hall and he asked to be tipped BEFORE the reception...is this normal? My first reaction was "OK if he says so!" but then I realized that the service could be really crappy, since there was no incentive for a good tip if it had already been given. Anyone tip before, or been asked to do so?

Re: Tip before reception?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I havent had my final meeting, but that sounds strange. Our price includes tip so maybe thats why he wont be asking us (or i hope not! ha!). I am curious to see what others think but I dont think i would do it until after the service like you said. A little incentive.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    ladean2ladean2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree.  Some vendors include gratuity in their quote.  I think those that don't must earn it.
  • Options
    hollybee92hollybee92 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have to pay my grat first, but I think others like a photog or band should be  tipped afterwards. A venue still has to pay their workers...
  • Options
    aarodrigaarodrig member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I can certainly understand the concern, but my brother was a banquet waiter at a local hotel for years in college, and swears the best way to get GREAT service is to tip the captains beforehand - a huge part of their payment comes from those tips, and if they know in advance they'll be paid well (they don't split tips until the end of the event), they really go all out for you. It might seem counterintuitive, but we're definitely tipping ahead of time.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards