August 2013 Weddings
Options

August Brides..Please help with invitation

Majority of my guest are from out of town..we have a limit of 150 people in our guestlist. When should I send the invitations? RSVP date? My wedding is on the 15th of August
We have some people on the "B list" and will not send them any invitations until we know how many rsvps we will have. Please help :)

Re: August Brides..Please help with invitation

• Options
    My wedding is 8/31.  I am sending out my OOT invites on June 1st and my local guests around June 15th.  My RSVP date for all guests is 7/27.

Love is the ultimate superpower.   
    It can make you weak and strong simultaneously.  

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_august-2013-weddings_august-bridesplease-help-with-invitation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:0c4df628-5c86-4382-8f99-5d75e3f57aa4Discussion:081b84b1-8a64-41d1-ab62-92bc2a5d3cd4Post:a0f98ee3-df6b-4f81-b329-0bc122cb73c5">August Brides..Please help with invitation</a>:
    [QUOTE]Majority of my guest are from out of town..we have a limit of 150 people in our guestlist. When should I send the invitations? RSVP date? My wedding is on the 15th of August We have some people on the "B list" and will not send them any invitations until we know how many rsvps we will have. Please help :)
    Posted by Lavi3[/QUOTE]

Invitations typically go out 6-8 weeks from the wedding date, and RSVP deadline depends on when your venue needs a final headcount. Usually it's recommended you put the RSVP date a week before your venue needs the deadline, that way you have some time to track down people who haven't sent their rsvp.

And in all honestly, B listing is really frowned upon. I would recommend not having a b-list as it's rude and could make those guests feel like second choice (which they would be).

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 123 Invited
    image 96 Are ready to party
    image 27 Will be missing out
    image 0 Are undecided
  • Options
    I am getting married the day after you, August 16!  I've read similar advice to the PP regarding the timeline.  However, most invitations that I've actually received have arrived more like 10-12 weeks in advance, and my final count is due two weeks out, which is definitely on the early side.  I will probably compromise on invitations out June 14, with an RSVP date of July 26.  I would definitely make the RSVP date later if you can though; I am already hoping that my guests aren't bothered by it, but with my venue's policies I don't see another choice.

I agree with linnyv about skipping the B-List.  I know how hard it is to deal with family pressures when making a guest list, but it is more hurtful to people to be b-listed (and there are many ways they can figure it out) than to not be invited, which they are usually understanding about.  In all honesty, even though you should always budget for 100% attendance and make sure you can handle it if it happens, us girls with weeknight dates can probably expect a higher decline rate anyway.
  • Options
    Invites usually are sent out 6-8 weeks. Your RSVP date will depend upon your venue. My venue needs a final head count 1 week prior to the event. I am making my RSVP date for 2 weeks prior to that, simply because I will have time to contact people who dont send back the RSVP cards, as I am expecting a few people to not even bother sending them.

As for the B-listing you are doing, I have to agree with PPs and say that its incredibly rude. Nobody wants to be a second-class guest, or a back-up guest. Only invite the people you really want there and can afford to have.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Sierra524Sierra524 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited March 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_august-2013-weddings_august-bridesplease-help-with-invitation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:0c4df628-5c86-4382-8f99-5d75e3f57aa4Discussion:081b84b1-8a64-41d1-ab62-92bc2a5d3cd4Post:5d410f04-cef0-4670-aafa-cc5a9cae6491">Re: August Brides..Please help with invitation</a>:
    [QUOTE]My wedding is 8/31.  I am sending out my OOT invites on June 1st and my local guests around June 15th.  My RSVP date for all guests is 7/27.
    Posted by island07b2b[/QUOTE]

Mine is 8/31 too! I am making my RSVP date August 1.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Our wedding date is 8/31. We are sending all of our invations out the end of May, and having the RSVP due July 31. We are sending them out early so any out of town guest can make their reservations, and we can hopefully get the marjority of the RSVP's back early enough that with those last minute ones we still  have pently of time to give final count.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My wedding is 8/3 and we are planning on sending the invitations out 6/1 and having an RSVP date of 7/1.  Our caterer needs a final headcount 3 weeks before so we need to get them back early!  And Lavi3, I completely understand why you have a B list!  I know others say it's not the most "proper" things, however, when you have a lot of out of town guests, it's way too difficult to plan how many will actually show up.  We plan to do kinda the same thing.  About 75% of our guests are out of towners, so we have no way of knowing how many will show up.  Our venue has a minimum of 100 (we invited about 125)...we know our families will all come, but its all the other guests and whether they'll bring dates.  Our backup's are distant family that we know would be able to come on short notice & wouldn't be offeneded if they didn't go.  We didn't send them save the dates or anything, so if they aren't invited, oh well!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm getting married on the 17th and we are sending out our invites June 1st or within that first week!!!!
  • Options
    I'm getting married on 8/10.  We sent invites to our international guests last week and plan on sending the rest of the invites at the beginning of June.  Our RSVP date is 7/13, because our hotel block closes 7/10, and we need a final headcount for chair covers 3 weeks out.

I agree with most PPs, B-listing is awful.  Imagine how you would feel if you found out you were only invited to your friend's wedding because someone "better" couldn't make it.  It's just wrong.  We have at least half of our guestlist from OOT and aren't b-listing.  I understand venues have minimums, but if you don't make the minimum you can usually spend the money in other ways like upgraded bar, appetizers, linens, venue membership (for CC) or merchandise, etc.  My friend's brother didn't meet the minimum at his reception so he upgraded the bar and bought some merchandise to make up the difference.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards