Ohio-Columbus
Options

Did you invite your FMIL dress shopping?

Re: Did you invite your FMIL dress shopping?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I went with my mom and sister first just to look.  I knew i was going to go multiple times but I wanted my FMIL to come with us at least once.  My FI is her only child/son so i felt that she should be included.  The day she came with my mom and I is actually the day we found and purchased my dress.  She was very blessed to be there!
  • Options
    pharmgirl1024pharmgirl1024 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I did not invite her, only because I was already bringing my mom and my step-mom and I was worried about them being a handful. I thought adding another mom into the mix might make me go crazy!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I will probably invite her because my fiance wants me to! 
  • Options
    reynolsereynolse member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I didn't. I am from a different city than my FI's parents, and I wanted it to be special with my mom the first time I went (and it was a Thursday). We actually found the dress on the first day, so I am thinking I will invite her to the fitting!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I did.  I actually went dress shopping by myself to see what I liked and form my own opinion.  Then I took my mom, FMIL and FSIL shopping with me.  They all loved my dress and it was perfect!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    jnkreagerjnkreager member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I did--I took my mom, sister (MOH), and FMIL.  We are close and she doesn't have any daughters so it made sense to invite her.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    ininmdmaininmdma member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am planning to invite her, along with my mom and sister (MOH). My FMIL only has one child (my FI), so I want her to be part of as much as possible so she get's the whole "wedding planning experience."
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I did. I waited until she could come to visit and I went with my mom, sister and FMIL. We get along EXTREMELY well and talked almost everyday so I couldn't imagine leaving her out. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I will be. Our moms get along well and I hope she'll join us (FSIL has been married twice so this isn't new to her).  I'm hoping she'll keep my mom sane, too.  :-)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    AjoydAjoyd member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I did invite her and my FSIL because I wanted to make them a part of the experience. It was the first time for the moms to meet. It went great, very low stress, and they were all very supportive. FSIL is a little crazy but what can you do? :)
    Married my love 8-25-12 TTC #1 since September 2012. BFP 2-2-13. photo 455d4bc3-3623-4c16-8dd1-1fbc7e99e147.jpg BabyFruit Ticker My BFP Chart
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I did not.  She lives a couple of hours away and she and FH are not particularly close.  I highly doubt she would have come had I invited.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I didn't invite her initally even though I could tell she really wanted to go. During the time I was planning my wedding, I was in the process of repairing a strained and difficult relationship with my Mom, so I wanted it to be a special time for the two of us. However, my Mom was unable to go back with me to re-try on dresses when I was ready to purchase. I was going to go alone since my MOH/sister was unable to go as well (we were in town and were planning an out of state wedding). But my MIL wouldn't let me so she came as well as my SIL. I don't regret it at all. It was a wonderful time and I knew I had found the right dress.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I did. I have gone dress shopping multiple times, but on one of the larger shopping outings, I invited her. She has 4 boys and no daughters. Her oldest son just got married at the beginning of October, and his wife didn't inclue my FMIL in anything, so I thought it'd mean a lot to include her in as much as possible. I wouldn't have it any other way since she has made me feel like family since the very first time we met. =) She had a blast and it meant a lot to have her and my mom there with me.
  • Options
    annmarie714annmarie714 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I did but she stopped by for a minute, said she liked it, and had to go to work.  I didn't invite her on the trip I actually purchased a dress because I wasn't expecting to find it so quickly.  Not to mention, the day I bought my dress, it was just my mom and I.  I couldn't imagine it being with anyone else (my mom is my best friend).
    Where there is love, there is life.-Ghandi
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I did. I invited FMIL and Future Grandmother along with my Mom and BFF. I'm close with his mom and grandma so I absolutely wanted them to go.
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-columbus_did-invite-fmil-dress-shopping?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:112Discussion:b67b5532-70ad-44e7-9eea-ccaa9792b7a3Post:a3559e32-699f-4244-946d-872c1c53fde2">Re: Did you invite your FMIL dress shopping?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I went with my mom and sister first just to look.  I knew i was going to go multiple times but I wanted my FMIL to come with us at least once.  My FI is her only child/son so i felt that she should be included.  The day she came with my mom and I is actually the day we found and purchased my dress.  She was very blessed to be there!
    Posted by kleem15[/QUOTE]

I did this too since I married the only child too!  My mom was completely left out when my brother got married.  My MIL also got ready with us at the salon for a bit (she left before us to go hang out with her son when the guys were getting ready at her place).
    imageimage

Sept 2011 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Ceremony Photo Anniversary

~~Planning~~

~~FOR SALE~~
  • Options
    Cassandra999Cassandra999 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I did not.  We just happened to decide to go one day when my mom was in town visiting.  I would have, if it was more of a planned thing.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I plan on bringing FMIL with me. I think she's really gonna love the experience, as she has never gotten to experience it before. We will probably plan a special trip up there (since I am in FL) that way we can specifically go for dress shopping (and probably vendor meetings and such).
    I want to include her in as many things as possible.
  • Options
    osuchica85osuchica85 member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My FMIL only has sons too. I was originally going to invite her but my sister is coming in to town from AZ and I had to book a bunch of appointments for during the week due to when she would be in town. I have to have my sister there. My FMIL will be at work though. So, I guess maybe I should have her come see it later before I buy it, if I find something. I just feel really bad because when we first got engaged I told her I wanted her to come dress shopping. Now I think it looks bad because I won't be able to have her go. Oh well. Thanks for all the responses ladies.
  • Options
    ininmdmaininmdma member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You could always still invite her if you want. At least then you've followed through as much as you can with having her participate...whether she wants to call off work is her decision, but at least you would've made the offer.
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Lbrant21Lbrant21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I did, but she's from out of state. Instead I sent her pics from the day. She loved it.
  • Options
    NineoceansNineoceans member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was going to until my fi asked why...lol. She's a littttle critical and wedding dress shopping is not super fun for me so I only wanted a few people that would be brutally honest
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards