Maryland-Baltimore
Options

Plus Size Brides

Hi,  I am getting married next year and everyone has been asking me about the dress but as a plus size woman its the one part of wedding planning Im dreading doing.  Ive looked at pictures and internet sites but I just feel like everything is going to look bad and Its going to be a upsetting experience for me.  Has anyone else had these fears?  Do you have any recommendations for bridal shops that carry plus size dresses around Frederick or Columbia?

Re: Plus Size Brides

• Options
    LoveKissLoveKiss member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Curvaceous Couture in Columbia ( http://www.curvaceouscoutureonline.com/default.aspx )

They exclusively carry plus size dresses, the service is incredible, and I felt like I was among girlfriends as I was trying on dresses with the staff. I had a wonderful experience buying my dress there, and I cannot recommend it highly enough!

Here's me, in the shop, in my dress. <3

Betsy robinson Bridal also carried a decent number of dresses in a bridal 16. They didn't fit perfectly, but at least I could get them on (I'm a street size 18) and get a decent idea of what they would look like in the proper size. My number 2 dress choice, an Essence of Australia dress, was from there.
  • Options
    geminieyes05geminieyes05 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You sound EXACTLY like I did when I got engaged. I wanted NOTHING to do with dress shopping. My wedding is in October and in March my sisters finally convinced me to go. I made an appointment at Alfred Angelo in Glen Burnie and Davids Bridal in Glen Burnie.

I went in the basically told them I would try on anything they brought me, just NO mermaid style. I'm not going to lie I thought the first dress I tried on (my sisters pick) would at least make me feel like a bride even if it wasn't "the one". Well guess what, it was AWFUL! If I were alone I would have walked out. But I had support there, the next 2 weren't bad. i thought the 4th one was "The One", and then I put on the 5th one. It was something the consultant picked that I would have never chosen off the rack. I looked at myself for 4 seconds and said out loud "This is the ONE!"

So long story short, try to go into with an open mind and you'll find the dress. I was SOOO nervous and it turned out GREAT. Bought my dress at Alfred Angelo in Glen Burnie. Ask for Courtney, she has nice sarcastic humor that made the experience even better. Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    jflaniganjflanigan member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A lot of shops in the area have plus size samples too. I got mine at Amanda Ritchey's in Fallston. They were great about everything. Also, although I don't particularly care for the shop, Stella's in the city has a huge range of dresses in plus sizes.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I got my dress at Alfred Angelo as well. While i have heard a lot of bad reviews about the service i had a great experience there. Looking through magazines and online i loved the dresses with the color on them. But once i got to the store and was trying them on i thought they looked hideous on me. My staff person brought me a dress that had a lace bolero jacket. i didnt want to try it on at first because the jacket was totally ugly in my eyes and lace has always made me itch. So i tried it on with the jacket it. Went out and was horrified. I was right the jacket made me itch like crazy. So i took it off and basically threw it at the woman and was like i told you i wouldnt like the jacket. Then i happened to look at myself in the mirror in just the dress and fell in love!!!! That was THE dress!!!! I tried another 1 or 2 dresses on but this one was still in the dressing room and i couldnt stop starring at it. We put it on again and was still in love! I couldnt leave the store without getting it!!!! So basically you never know what you are going to like until you start trying them on! Good luck i am sure you will look great in whatever you get!
    KStar Design.com
    Fluffy
    ***TTC Buddies w/ Monkey1018 & TTC/GP BFF w/ Jeep Doll***
    **GP Lucky Charm: TheDeatons**
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    curvacious couture has some of the nicest people ever and a large selection but too pricey for me ( and we never found a dress that was perfect- my big boobs were always getting in the way).
    I bought my dress @ Alfred Angelo- truthfully i hated their service, very grumpy people work there and my mom and the sales girl got into a huge arugment over size for me (ps always get a size smaller than they want u to get all they want is ur $$ for alterations) BUT i fell in luv with a dress there. 
    Davids Bridal has a huge selection of dresses and the sales ladies @ Glen Burnie are fabulous- i got my bridesmaids dresses there :)  I found 2 dresses for me there that i really really liked but then found my AA dress :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards