Maryland-Baltimore

I've booked 2 churches but have no reception venue! HELP!

So here is the dilemma. I live in Glen Burnie and my fiance lives in Parkville. I have my church (St. Phillip Neri in Linthicum) and his church (St. Joseph Fullerton off of Belair Rd) booked for August 6th 2011. Our original venue ended up being too expensive for our price range (Hillendale CC). My parents want to pay for the wedding and they say their budget for dinner is $80/person for the reception. We'd rather not have a buffet. To top it off, the (cut down) guest list is just a little under 200 people.

Any suggestions Knotties? For a place with everything that is in that price range or a venue with a caterer? Is this even possible?

I just started planning and I'm, already stressed!

Thank you in advance!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: I've booked 2 churches but have no reception venue! HELP!

• edited December 2011
    If you are having difficulties finding a venue and caterer in your price range, it might be more helpful to establish your overall budget, and see what you can cut down from there.  You can easily DIY STDs or invites, use in season flowers, a less expensive dress, forego favors for guests, and many other things to pinch a budget.  

Also, some vendors are willing to drop a price down...without knowing how far over budget your venue of choice was, it is worth going back to them and asking how they can make it work for you (for ex, serve only wine and beer, choose less expensive menu options, etc to get the per person price into your range).  Good luck!!!
    June 2011 Siggy Challenge: My Dress

imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I really don't have any suggestions but I am just wondering about your two churches. How is your ceremony going to be set up?
  • snanzoosnanzoo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would check  Michael's 8th Avenue as a venue close to St Philip Neri. I think that they are a venue that is in your parents price range. As for a venue near St Joe's you may want to try Columbus Gardens it's right down the road from the church. I hope this helps a little!
  • edited December 2011
    I also don't understand how this two church thing is supposed to work.
  • starliner14starliner14 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For the St. Phillip Neri church, Overhills Mansion, is just on the other end of I-195 in Catonsville.  We are having our reception there on 9/11/2010 - it is a smaller venue with a maximum capacity of 200.  But, the location is extremely convenient.  The exclusive caterer is very reasonably priced with good food - we're paying $45 per person for them.  They do customized menus - you can go more expensive, and you can go less expensive.  You also save money, because you provide your own alcohol - and whatever isn't opened at the end of the night gets returned to the vendor with a full refund on that alcohol to you.  We have several friends who had their receptions there, as well, with nothing but excellent reviews!
  • edited December 2011

Both churches are tentatively booked. One by me and one by him. Once I figure out where the reception will be I'll cancel one of them! Sorry I confused you guys!

I'll check out your suggestions! Thanks so much! Smile

• edited December 2011
    Ahh, that makes more sense.

I had my reception at Overhills, and we fit 125 people comfortably - but many more than that and it will be a very tight squeeze. 

Check out the Towson Golf & Country Club - they have a ballroom that will fit 175-200 guests and they have many menu options that should fit your budget.   Keep in mind that the cost of the bar is one of the things that really adds up during the reception, so consider just doing beer and wine and a signature cocktail instead of a full bar.
    Here's their website: http://tgcc.net/site/index.html

• edited December 2011
    What about Eastern Yacht Club?  That wouldn't be too far from St. Joes, maybe like 15 mins.  I have heard some great things about EYC, though not sure on pricing and space.  It's worth looking into, though.  Very pretty, right on the water.  One of my good friend's parents did their vow renewal reception there, and a few knotties have had their weddings/receptions there. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Miss ... Mrs.
  • edited December 2011
    We went over the figures again and made a trip out to the original venue we wanted and they are going to work with us! All the stressing out for nothing! I couldnt be happier. It seemed astronomical, but they'll be cutting us a deal since my fiance used to work there. YAY!

Now I'll just have to cut it down to 1 church LOL

Thank you for all the advice! <3
  • edited December 2011
    Yayy glad to hear they were willing to work with you :)
    June 2011 Siggy Challenge: My Dress

imageWedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards