Maryland-Baltimore

"Going away" outfit?

Do folks still do this? Are y'all changing clothes to leave the reception?

Our reception and ceremony are in the same place, and the reception doesn't end until 11... I was planning on wearing my wedding gown the entire time, pretty much until I fall into bed, even to the hotel lobby bar for the after-party. My mom thinks I should change into another outfit before I leave the reception so she can take my gown, etc.

That would make sense to me if we were leaving the next morning for the honeymoon, but the wedding is Saturday and we don't leave till Monday... plenty of time for me to take it home, or drop it off at the cleaners.

Thoughts?

Re: "Going away" outfit?

• knc503knc503 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have been to a lot of weddings this past year, and I didn't see anyone change. I don't plan on changing! I think it's up to you and what you are comfortable with. Like you said, it's not like you are leaving the next morning for the honeymoon. I would't want another thing to have to think about taking to the reception, even if it is something simple like a change of cloths.
  • edited December 2011
    I wore my gown till the very end. It was one less thing to carry out of the reception I guess, haha.

BFP#1: 01/10, M/C 6w -- BFP#2: 06/10, M/C 5w -- BFP#3: 09/10, DS born June 1, 2011
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP#4: 07/12, M/C 5w3d -- BFP#5: 12/12, EDD 08/18/13
    BabyFruit Ticker

Decorate This
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with PPs.  If you're not leaving until Monday and you'll have Sunday to give your dress to your mom, I wouldn't worry about changing.  It's one more thing to worry about and why take your dress off sooner than you have to?  I kept that thing on as long as possible!
  • edited December 2011
    Agreed with all the PPs!  I will absolutely not take my dress off until bed.  Will be wearing it to Fells Point bars as well.  My FI will probably have to beg me to take it off at the end of the night. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Miss ... Mrs.
  • ajerome21ajerome21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with everyone.  I am wearing this gown once so I will be wearing it the whole time!!!  Also, I haven't seen people change clothes in a really long time! The last time was my cousin's wedding in 1999 and it was bc they were leaving for their honeymoon right after the reception.  It seems like you have plenty of time to drop off the dress.  It's up to you.... you'll be fine either way. 

sweet - i think it's awesome you are wearing your dress to fells point! lol.  I plan to wear it to the lobby bar for the after party. I kinda want to go to some other little bar down the harbor and if we do.... I will be wearing the dress! :)
  • edited December 2011
    Haha heck yeah I am wearing my big poofy white dress!  I only get to wear it once, and I am going to enjoy every second from the time I put it on @ 2/3PM until the time I take it off at probably 2/3 AM lol! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Miss ... Mrs.
  • tracy_ktracy_k member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh good. I haven't seen anyone do it in years, either... my sister did, so that's probably my mom's frame of reference. Of course, that was 17 years ago!

Seems like it's one of those things people used to do but really kinda don't anymore unless they're into the retro thing or are leaving the next morning for the honeymoon.

Also I just want to wear my gorgeous dress as long as humanly possible! I tried it on over the weekend (fiance was out of town) and am SO in love with it. :)

• ajerome21ajerome21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I can't wait until I get my dress... It should be here at the end of December, im probably going to try it on like everyday until I take it for alterations. lol! Ever see the episode of "Friends," where Monica picks up her brother's FI dress and she tries it on and does not take it off... she even does the dishes in the gown. lol - that will so be me! lol.
  • tracy_ktracy_k member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to purchase my dress (at David's) fully expecting to order it, and they sent me home with the one I tried on! I was a bit shocked to take it home with me, but totally thrilled that I wouldn't have to wait.

I just made my appt for alterations, I want to add a corset back (the dress fits like a glove but I just love the corset look), and add a slight sweetheart look to the neckline, but that's it other than the bustle! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards