Maryland-Baltimore
Options

Co-Worker Invite Etiquette

I work in a small office (14 people including myself). There are 3 of these people that I absolutely would love to have at my wedding, including their significant others. I don't want to offend anyone by not inviting them, but I simply do not have the space (or the money) to invite all 13 people and their significant others. Any advice on how to handle the situation?

Re: Co-Worker Invite Etiquette

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I was in a very similar situation.  There are 7 of us - I only invited 2.  Then again, there are definitely people that are better friends than others.  I don't believe anyone was offended or expected an invite.  I would invite the 3 people that you want and leave it at that.  You might want to mention to them that you weren't able to invite everyone from the office and you would appreciate it if they could keep the invites on the DL - or just not talk about it with everyone. 

Most people understand that weddings get expensive and know that you can't always invite everyone.
  • Options
    seralee5804seralee5804 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for asking this question!

I was having the same issue when putting together my list.
    Till Baby E Money Comes! BabyFruit Ticker pregnancy Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I invited the people that I am close to, and I had sort of an easy cutoff of 'only people I hang out with outside of work.'  If someone who wasn't invited had asked, I could have told them that - and it's not like the other co-workers weren't ever invited to after-work activities.  Hand in hand with that, it was only people that my husband had met, which was another nice cutoff. 

I made sure to tell the invited co-workers that I was not able to invite everyone at work, so that they didn't bring it up in front of everyone, and I was careful not to talk about the wedding very often.  I think there was one guy who was a little bit offended, but honestly you can't make everyone happy, and I decided that I had some people that I really wanted to be there, and I wasn't about to not include them just because of the other co-workers.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My office is about the same size as yours and I am just inviting my one close friend and her boyfriend. You don't have to invite everyone, just who you are close too. Just don't talk about your wedding too much at work and don't broadcast the fact that some people won't be invited.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i am going through a similar situation.
    i've worked in the same place for 4 years.  when i statred the company had 150 people, and now we have like 450.

i'm still very close to my first manager in the company, but you move teams alot, so i've grown close with a ton of people in my 4 years here.

i know i will invite my first manager - i was at her wedding.  i also think i'd invite the girl who reports to me and my current manager (all with their signifigant others).  the problem is right now i'm on a team full of girls and we're all kinda close and talk about my wedding plans all the time. but we don't hang out outside work.  i feel bad not inviting them, but who knows how our team will change in the next year and who i'll still be close with.  how do you decide?
  • Options
    RayValerieRayValerie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I held to my guns and invited exactly who I wanted at my wedding.  There have been times that others have parties etc and do not invite me...not a problem.
    Just remember to hold true to yourself and invite who YOU want there.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards