Maryland-Baltimore

Dress alterations @ Alfred Angelo or no?

I bought my dress at Alfred Angelo and it should be in soon. I'm not expecting to need a lot of alterations. I may need to take the top in a bit--or not since it's a corset back, and I will be cutting off the train/hemming the dress. But that's it. No bustle or anything complicated.

It's the same size I tried on in the store which was perfect except the length.

I have heard that AA's alterations are really expensive. Should I just go with them since it should be fairly easy or should I go to another seamstress?

Any recommendations?

Re: Dress alterations @ Alfred Angelo or no?

• edited December 2011
    If they are really expensive, I would use someone else.  I just wanted to cut costs wherever possible!  Since your alterations should be pretty straight forward, why pay an arm and a leg for them?
  • nancyrn526nancyrn526 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    NOOOOO!!!!! I also bought my dress there but have heard horror stories about their seamstress and the work that she does.  My friend got married in Oct and also bought her dress at AA and used them for the alterations.  Her bustle broke before  the reception even started and she had a horrible time communicating with the lady.  I would go elsewhere.
  • Winnie3503Winnie3503 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No Way-
    They are expensive and soo rude.  My friend got her dress there and got it altered there.  I went with my friend to get it altered and was disgusted when the seamstress called her fat twice.  She did this while on the floor infront of other brides trying on their dresses.  To make it worse she kept commenting on how pretty and skinny all the other girls looked in their dresses.
    Being newly engaged, I would NEVER use them!
  • geminieyes05geminieyes05 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I bought my dress at Alfred Angelo and I loved the person I worked with.

Since then I have gone back a few times (for bridesmaid dresses, etc) and have definitely not been impressed with the service. I call ahead of time for appointments and they tell me I don't need one, and then act like I am wasting their time when I go in with my Bridesmaids for their dresses.

Its funny that I read this post now because I am going to pick my dress up on Tuesday. I am also a plus size bride, and proud of it! I wont need my fitting for a few months but I have to say if the seamstress said anything like that to me, I would probably freak out on the floor.

I will probably give her a chance, if I even need alterations. But I will definitely keep this post in mind.

We will see how it goes I guess.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards