Maryland-Baltimore
Options

Poll: Are you/did you have a receiving line?

I may have asked this before, but I'm curious to  see what other people are doing.  Thank you!
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Poll: Are you/did you have a receiving line?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    That's so funny you posted about this, we were just talking about that topic last night.  We had our first meeting with our wedding coordinator at the Tremont last night!  So fun! 

Anywhoo, we're trying to weigh the pros/cons of having a receiving line.  FI is really against it because we have so many people ( />200), but my mom really wants one.  FI would rather schmooze table-to-table at the reception because he feels it's more personal (although more time consuming). 

If we do a receiving line, it will only be us ad each set of our parents.  (NOT the entire bridal party.)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Miss ... Mrs.
  • Options
    MagpieJCAMagpieJCA member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're not doing a traditional receiving line, but FI and I like what his cousin did, which is at the church, after they exited, came back to the front and greeted everyone as each row filed out.  Although now that I describe it it does kind of sound like a receiving line...
  • Options
    kmiller1012kmiller1012 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We aren't doing one b/c they told us it takes so long and more time away from the reception.  We will just go table to table to talk to everyone.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Magpie, funny you should say that.  I actually went to my friend's wedding this summer where the B&G did that, and FI and I thought it was really nice.  The B&G did a normal recession, and then after the BP recessed out, the BG came back in and everyone clapped and then "dismissed" people by row.  It was a nice touch, but it was a large wedding (probably 200-250) and it did take a while.  And we were in the last row!  But I might consider doing it this way.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Miss ... Mrs.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    No - we didn't have one.  After the fact I kinda wish I did.  There were a bunch of people at the wedding we never really got a chance to talk to and even though it takes a while, I think it would have been easier than trying to make it table to table. This is actually one thing I would do if I had to do it all over again. 
    *Erin*

MyBio image

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We did, and it didn't take very long because we only had about 100 guests. It was just me, DH, and our parents. It was a nice way for all of the extended family to meet the parents, and for parents to meet work colleagues, etc. who they may not have otherwise. DH and I still went from table to table to greet everyone, but I'm glad we did the receiving line too.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We didn't and I'm glad we didn't.  We actually wound up joining the cocktail hour with everyone for the last half - and still got a few outdoor nighttime pictures in.  It worked out well, we were able to talk to a majority of our guests and enjoy a drink with everyone. 

DH still wishes he was able to talk to EVERYONE that was there, but he'll get over it.  My opinion on the whole thing - if someone wants to talk to you, they'll find you - and they did.  Which I loved.  I wish I could have talked to more people in order to thank them, however, I wanted to dance and enjoy myself and not go table to table. 

FWIW - I was told by a friend of my moms that she was much happier watching us dance and have a great time than us going table to table to say hi. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We didn't have one either, we went table to table while dinner was being served (we were too excited to eat!) and then nibbled on our dinner a little bit.    I was glad that we were able to greet each guest. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm so glad I asked this.  Thanks for all of the responses!

At this time, we are planning on having a receiving line for a few reasons:

- our ceremony is at 5pm and the reception is at 7pm.  the ceremony will only take 45 minutes and it will only take 25 minutes to get to the reception venue (aka - we have time to speak with people)

- i want to be able to talk to as many people as i can.

- my mom is pro-receiving line  :)

Part of me doesn't think we need to have one, so maybe I'll change my mind?  I don't think FI cares either way...

Thanks, everyone!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My DH and I did a mini recieving line with just us and our parents. It went quicker than expected and it was really great to say hi to everyone individually. Even though we still ended up going to every single table during the reception, it really cut down on the pressure to do it. It was more relaxed and quicker than if we didn't do the line.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're thinking that we aren't going to have one...as with some pp, we are only having about 100-110 guests, and plan to make table visits during the reception. I also agree with the poster who said that most people will find us...now that I think about it, every wedding that I have attended, I have always made it a point to seek out the bride and groom to wish them well in person...but for those shy folks, we'll make sure we visit each table!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards