Maryland-Baltimore
Options

Officiant fees

Hi, I am looking for an officiant for my wedding, we want it to be non-denominational.  I have been in touch with one, who seems great, but the fee is $400. For those of you who have looked around and/or already booked one, does that fee seem average? 

I am not trying to be cheap on something so important, I just had thought it would be more in the $250 range, so I am wondering if $400 seems a bit high or average for an officiant to perform a 30 minute ceremony in Baltimore. Thanks!! 

Also, any recommendations are welcome!

Re: Officiant fees

• Options
    iamstephiamsteph member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think that is about what we paid for ours. It was kinda shocking to us too. 
    Married December 18th, 2010 :)
  • Options
    mybooboosmybooboos member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I interviewed a few officiants, with fees ranging from $350 - $725(!).  We settled on a person who was ~$400, which seems to be the going rate.

You could always have one of your friends go on-line and get certified to be "officiant for a day".  My girlfriend did this, and had her brother officiate the ceremony.
    Presentation is everything!! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I paid $400 for my officiant as well.  I think that is pretty average.  Like pp said, you can have a friend get ordained if the price is really a sticking point for you.

I understand the shock of the fee, but most officiants will only do one wedding per day so as not to run late for other events.  Also, they put in time ahead of the ceremony itself - meeting with you, telephone calls, creating a ceremony, attending rehearsals, etc.  When you think about all of the work beyond the 30 minute ceremony itself, I think the fee makes sense

Edit:  I would highly recommend my officiant, Rev Laura Cannon, for a non-denominational service.  She really created a fantastic ceremony for DH and I.  I am religious but DH is not, so we really wanted someone who would take both of our beliefs into account to make something meaningful. Good luck in your hunt!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I was just about to post the exact same thing. I figured it would be about $200-$250, but $400+. I'm in total shock. My step-dad's brother got ordained, but I'd really rather not use him for various reasons. But, I may have to...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was surprised by the cost, too, especially since I know people who do this as their side job.  However, there is often a lot of time that goes into it and they usually have to give up part of their weekend for you (plus, the marriage is the most important part of the wedding!).  $400 is about average based on what I saw.  I second the rec for Laura Cannon and I also liked Ginny Carson.

We wound up having DH's best friend officiate, but it was less a matter of cost and more an issue of personalization for us.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Mine is $350.
  • Options
    bethesda15bethesda15 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone for your feedback, this is super helpful.  I have seen Rev. Laura Cannon recommended on a lot of threads, I am going to contact her (I think she is in the $400 range too).  I don't think my fiancé and I would want a family member/friend to marry us - would rather a "professional" do it!! 
  • Options
    mandamarie81mandamarie81 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are having Sharon Winterling and she's $250.  She isn't doing a lot of weddings this year though, but you could try.  

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_maryland-baltimore_officiant-fees?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:85Discussion:eca5978d-4e75-4680-8b39-267d36d1ede8Post:c3b504e7-e6ee-4807-b68c-0e22a10a3df0">Re: Officiant fees</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are having Sharon Winterling and she's $250.  She isn't doing a lot of weddings this year though, but you could try.   Her website is: <a href="http://www.weddingofficiantmd.com" rel='nofollow'>www.weddingofficiantmd.com</a>
    Posted by mandamarie81[/QUOTE]

We used Sharon as well and she was absolutely wonderful! I highly recommend checking her out!! She does take a little while to email back sometimes but that is because she has another fulltime job. She does the officiating on the side. It is something that she loves to do.
    KStar Design.com
    Fluffy
    ***TTC Buddies w/ Monkey1018 & TTC/GP BFF w/ Jeep Doll***
    **GP Lucky Charm: TheDeatons**
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards