Maryland-Baltimore
Options

Who to invite? who should be cut first?

My mother wants to invite half of her office. 15 co-workers in total.  I don't want them there, I don't know them! But my mom insist on them being there.
FYI, she's paying for everything...and I mean everything!!
My guest list is approaching 300 and I need to get it down to 250.  I have a good idea of whom to cut off list but I don't want to anger my mom & at the same time I don't want to cut someone off list in favor of her collegues.

Any suggestions?? ideas??

Re: Who to invite? who should be cut first?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We cut ours from about 280 to 210 (seriously).  And at 280 we still had people we wished we could've invited.  It was the most difficult thing I have done, but you just have to realize your space constraints and people have to understand you can't invite everyone.  Bottom line.  Cutting isn't fun but it has to be done unfortunately :(

My mom was insistent that her 5 co-worker girlfriends come, as well.  But it was okay with me because I know them all and their husbands very well.  So sorry I don't have any advice for that one, either. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Miss ... Mrs.
  • Options
    gabbridegabbride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not knocking you or anything, but how can you have 250?  How can you even have 175?  I had 130 and felt like I didn't get to spend enough time with everyone! 
    As for who to cut...just remember to invite the people that really care for you and who you'll be talking to in 5, 10 or 15 yrs...alot of people that are close to you now,  years from now you'll be struggling to remember their names!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    There was an article on cnn around the time that I was making my guest list that helped me:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/personal/08/01/wedding.list.quiz/index.html

Basically, it asks you questions about how well these guests know you.  If you are realizing that a guest would not know the answer to many of these basic quesetions about you, maybe the invite is better served going to someone closer to you and your life.

My mom also wanted to invite her entire office, and I didn't know them all well.  We compromised but my husband and I were paying for the wedding.  I think that it's hard when she is the one that is paying because she gets a bigger say.  Try to explain to her that there are other guests that are more important to you coming, but you may lose this battle!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    She definitely does get a say on the guest list since she is paying, but I don't think that means she gets to call all the shots. Tell her (respectfully) that the guest list is getting a bit out of hand and ask her what she can do to help with that situation. Maybe these people are super important to her but if that is the case then maybe she can suggest someone else who is rather distant to cut.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards