Missouri-St Louis

Cakes that DON'T cost 4.25

I went to a local baker and we came up with the basics on a cake.  I was quoted way higher than the prices on the internet.  I didn't know what to say because this was my first time tasting cakes.  Do any of you ladies know where I can get a simple cake with two bows on it for a little less. I will even do sheet cake as long as I have somthing pretty to cut.  Thanks so much for all your info. 

Re: Cakes that DON'T cost 4.25

• edited December 2011
    My daughter's cake will be from Harter bakery, they are simple, pretty and taste very good.  I have no idea what their prices are since it is part of our wedding reception package.  I also know that 10th Street Bakery in Belleville IL will give you a "dummy" cake and you actually purchase sheet cakes to serve.  My daughters friend used them and they tasted good, not sure about the price.  Patty Cakes in Highland IL won the Cake Off on TLC and advertise prices of $2.50 per serving with fondant and fillings costing more.  Good Luck!
  • edited December 2011
    Do you want fondant work?  The place (Lubeley's) I got my cake they did buttercream icing and it was $1.75 a person.  For a full fondant covering it is much more expensive.

Also- some places will charge you for fondant work per piece- $25+ apiece.  So, add $50 on top of whatever you'd pay just for cake.
    White Knot
    Stand up for something you believe in. White Knot
  • edited December 2011
    Wedding Wonderland starts at like $1.90 per person!  They have some great cakes! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 99 Invited!
    image 45 Are Psyched!
    image 5 Are L0$3RZ
    image 49 Are MIA!
  • Jenniferm911Jenniferm911 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    check out exquisite cakes--we just had a tasting with Gwenn and she brought the tasting to us, we had a blast talking with her!  Her prices are very reasonable--around $1.50 and she also does cupcakes.  She doesn't use fondant except for small decoration and her work is fantastic and her cakes taste wonderful!!!--she is able to make her buttercream have that same smooth look of fondant.. 
    exquisitecakesllc.com
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah Wedding Wonderland is amazing. my DH doesn't usually even like cake and he ate a few pieces of theirs. They don't do fondant but they have a lot of beautiful options.
  • rweiss07rweiss07 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm using Gwenn at excuistie cakes too- she is amazing and has the most moist cake you have ever tasted!
  • ashmady11123ashmady11123 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wedding Wonderland - they have the non dairy whipped icing and it was AWESOME!  Got tons of compliments on the cake.
  • mightyoakesmightyoakes member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Believe it or not, IGA in St. Charles is the best bakery in St. Charles and has made the wedding cakes for nearly everyone in our family! They are delicious and inexpensive!
  • HarmlHarml member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Whipt cream in chesterfield! They do italian buttercream and fondant if you want it (did that rhyme?) in basically any design you can think of
  • edited December 2011
    i'm sorry, i heard a lot of stuff about wedding wonderland, and we just did tasting there and i wans't very impressed. everything just tasted really artificial, like the ingredients they use aren't very good quality. i however, do agree that they have good prices
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards