Missouri-St Louis
Options

HELP!!! David's Bridal Problem!

I purchased my dress through David's Bridal about 2 weeks ago. http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Strapless-Lace-Tea-Length-Cap-Sleeve-Gown-9T9948 Athough it's available through the stores in smaller sizes,  I was only able to try on an 18w. I'm a size 2.  The hem of this tea length gown dragged the floor while i had on the sample. My MOH and i had to imagine what it would look like in my size, which i expected due to my size. The consultant reassured me over and over again that it would come in a 2 and the hem would be tea length. considering I'm 5 feet tall, i figured there would be about 2-4 inches of extra at the bottom and i asked about hemming. The consultant reassured me that alterations could fix that and it would indeed be a tea-length dress. I agreed to trust them and purchased the dress, paid in full, upon order.

Fast forward 2 weeks, I get the call that my dress has arrived. I go pick it up and I ask to try it on, because I hadn't tried it on in my size, or even any size close to mine.  I try it on, zip it up and the damn hem still drags on the floor. It took me 15 minute to get a consultant to pay attention to me, (in a not busy store!!!) and to get someone from alterations to help. The lady from alterations came up and looked at the dress and told me it couldn't be hemmed! I was so upset. My mom convinced the lady to actually look at the structure ofo the dress and she changed her story, but wantd to cut 12 inches off the bottom of the dress, effectively removing the lace hem and entire under layer of tulle. I said I'd think about it, and left with the dress (because it was paid for!). I received a call from DB management telling me they spoke with alterations and they couldn't hem it at all. they offered to order a size 0, but the 2 fits exactly right around my waist. A 0 would not zip.

Sorry for the ramble, but here's the purpose of my post. Anyone have an alterations shop that can do the impossible? We're on a tight budget so I can't afford to just buy another $500 dress, but I can find the money for extra alterations. Thanks.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: HELP!!! David's Bridal Problem!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I purchased my dress through David's Bridal about 2 weeks ago. http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Strapless-Lace-Tea-Length-Cap-Sleeve-Gown-9T9948 Athough it's available through the stores in smaller sizes,  I was only able to try on an 18w. I'm a size 2.  The hem of this tea length gown dragged the floor while i had on the sample. My MOH and i had to imagine what it would look like in my size, which i expected due to my size. The consultant reassured me over and over again that it would come in a 2 and the hem would be tea length. considering I'm 5 feet tall, i figured there would be about 2-4 inches of extra at the bottom and i asked about hemming. The consultant reassured me that alterations could fix that and it would indeed be a tea-length dress. I agreed to trust them and purchased the dress, paid in full, upon order.

Fast forward 2 weeks, I get the call that my dress has arrived. I go pick it up and I ask to try it on, because I hadn't tried it on in my size, or even any size close to mine.  I try it on, zip it up and the damn hem still drags on the floor. It took me 15 minute to get a consultant to pay attention to me, (in a not busy store!!!) and to get someone from alterations to help. The lady from alterations came up and looked at the dress and told me it couldn't be hemmed! I was so upset. My mom convinced the lady to actually look at the structure ofo the dress and she changed her story, but wantd to cut 12 inches off the bottom of the dress, effectively removing the lace hem and entire under layer of tulle. I said I'd think about it, and left with the dress (because it was paid for!). I received a call from DB management telling me they spoke with alterations and they couldn't hem it at all. they offered to order a size 0, but the 2 fits exactly right around my waist. A 0 would not zip.

Sorry for the ramble, but here's the purpose of my post. Anyone have an alterations shop that can do the impossible? We're on a tight budget so I can't afford to just buy another $500 dress, but I can find the money for extra alterations. Thanks.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In all reality, you are asking for the dress to basicly be remade if you are wanting 12 inches out of the waist.  I would try talking to a regional DB person and seeing if there is anything they can do.  I know you can exchange once for size.  I am not sure if they would let you exchange once for your company doesn't make this in my size.  Cory at Sunset Hills DB is amazing!!!  I would recommend making an appointment with her and seeing what ideas she may have.  Because if it doable....she will be able to figure it out.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    realistically, it's more like 8 inches. However, the biggest problem was being told that it could be done prior to paying for the dress and then upon receiving the dress, it's no longer hemmable. It just frustrates me.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Is there a seam at the waist that is covered by the ribbon?  If so, it is alterable, but not hemmable.

I'd have a tailor who I absolutely trust do an alteration from the waist, essentially cutting it in half at the seam and moving up the dress to the length you want it, and then have them adjust the a-line at the back seam to fit the appropriate proportions on your body.  

David's Bridal probably can't do it, but someone who does lots of couture or really comprehensive alterations on a regular basis can.  
    White Knot
    Stand up for something you believe in. White Knot
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would be extremely frustrated!!!  I understand where you are coming from.  I would try to see if there is a manager that will listen to you and that you bought the dress being told one thing, and then once you paid for it and it arrived, you were told something different.  Even if they won't do a return and give you your money back.  They may be able to do a store credit and you can choose a dress that will work for you. 

But, I do love that dress!  It is so pretty!  I thought about getting it.  So, I would see if a more talented seamstress might be able to alter it for you.  I am not sure what store you are at.  But, I know the Sunset Hills store has a seasoned seamstress with much more than just David's experience, it might be worth seeing if she would be willing to do it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I just sent your message to my friend that does alterations to see what she says about your situation. I will let you know what she says.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you everyone for the responses. Luckily I have a while until our wedding and i have time to try every alteraton shop in the city!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I know of one of the best alterations places in town.  Her name is Connie, and she works from a place in Kirkwood called R&M Designs.  314-821-2932.  She is wonderful.  We have used her for two of my sisters weddings, and my best friend used her as well.  Everything fits you like a glove, and she also makes dresses, so she really understands structures of a dress.  My sister had a very unique bottom to her dress, and had to alter it about 4 inches, and you would of never known.  Also, I was plus size at the time of all these weddings, so she was able to get the alterations for me just right with top part of the dress always being to big cause of my waist, and always about 6inches long, cause im so short.  She is who Town and Country Bridal refers their Brides to, which is how we got hooked up with her to being with.  When I bought my dress at Amore in July, we told the shop owner that is the only place we will get our alterations done. Because I am still loosing so much weight, we only ordered  2 sizes down on my waist measurement, but of course, it still is a size bigger in the chest then I already measure for.  And even though Amore doesn't refer her, they said that Connie is wonderful, and has been one of the best in St. Louis forever. Good luck.  And sorry they couldn't be more accommodating.  But I would trust Connie with anything! Just make sure you ask to work with Connie, because there is other women working there, but I have never used them. So I can only speak for Connie.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_missouri-st-louis_davids-bridal-problem?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:87Discussion:403e11c0-4fb6-45a8-99c3-b479777539caPost:c383abab-1324-442c-b6f5-6d6a1d9a51a5">Re: HELP!!! David's Bridal Problem!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know of one of the best alterations places in town.  Her name is Connie, and she works from a place in Kirkwood called R&M Designs.  314-821-2932.  She is wonderful.  We have used her for two of my sisters weddings, and my best friend used her as well.  Everything fits you like a glove, and she also makes dresses, so she really understands structures of a dress.  My sister had a very unique bottom to her dress, and had to alter it about 4 inches, and you would of never known.  Also, I was plus size at the time of all these weddings, so she was able to get the alterations for me just right with top part of the dress always being to big cause of my waist, and always about 6inches long, cause im so short.  She is who Town and Country Bridal refers their Brides to, which is how we got hooked up with her to being with.  When I bought my dress at Amore in July, we told the shop owner that is the only place we will get our alterations done. Because I am still loosing so much weight, we only ordered  2 sizes down on my waist measurement, but of course, it still is a size bigger in the chest then I already measure for.  And even though Amore doesn't refer her, they said that Connie is wonderful, and has been one of the best in St. Louis forever. Good luck.  And sorry they couldn't be more accommodating.  But I would trust Connie with anything! Just make sure you ask to work with Connie, because there is other women working there, but I have never used them. So I can only speak for Connie.
    Posted by Kel1237[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Connie altered my grandma's dress for my wedding and did a great job in 3 day's turn around time (grandma lives in CA and came for the wedding and bought a different dress while she was here because she thought she was going to clash!)

</div>
    White Knot
    Stand up for something you believe in. White Knot
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Try out Sandy's Tailoring too.  She does a ton of alterations for proms and weddings and general everyday clothing.  She is on Hampton and has been for years!!!  Google Sandy's Tailoring and call her.  Tell her your situation and take the dress there. She will know if it can be down without ruining the look of hte dress. 

Anniversary
  • Options
    jlk0219jlk0219 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I feel SO bad for you!!  Unfortunately your situation is not an isolated event.  Several years ago my mom worked in the alterations department of a David's and this happens ALL of the time!  The sales consultants know nothing about what can and cannot be done with a dress in alterations, and only so much can be done- without completely remaking the dress.  They have to meet their monthly sales quota so they say whatever they need to in order to close the sale.

If there is no seam at the waist, which it looks like there isn't, it's going to be pretty impossible for them to do it without chopping the dress up- like a pp said.  Honestly, I would be taking this straight to the store manager and throwing a huge fit- this is completely the consultant's fault.  Return policy or not, the way they've "resolved" this with you is unacceptable, and I think it would only be fair for you to get store credit for the amount you paid for the dress.  Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards