Missouri-St Louis
Options

Help needed about officiants and MO laws

I am looking into doing a non-religious ceremony and was thinking about asking a friend to officiate.

I have heard many people talk about getting ordained online.  What sites can we trust that really are official? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Also, all over wedding websites it says to be careful to take this route, because in some states they don’t consider this legal. I can’t find anything that says its not in Missouri, but would like to get conformation from someone who has done it.

If we decide not to ask a friend, I wouldn't mind getting a judge. Anyone know how I start that process?

My venue... Image and video hosting by TinyPic ... Image and video hosting by TinyPic ... Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Help needed about officiants and MO laws

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I would call the courthouse of the county you'll be married in and ask them. Never hurts to hear it straight from the source. Sorry I'm not much help.
    PhotobucketWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    MO is weird and licenses are done by municipality, but valid all over the state.  Our officiant had a license or registration number of some kind and signed the paperwork and handled getting it all into the state for processing, so I'd make sure you find someone who knows what they're doing.

As far as finding a judge- you can always call offices of courts and ask which judges perform marriage ceremonies and ask to speak to their clerk regarding availability.

There are also non-demoninational officiants in St. Louis.  We strongly considered one but ended up going with a Christian ceremony.  One of them is active on stlwed.com and she's a woman.  That's all I remember about her except for that she was more expensive than the guy we picked...
    White Knot
    Stand up for something you believe in. White Knot
  • Options
    ashleyegashleyeg member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    try these guys. they are very well priced and will come to your home. they  married my friend who is non religous

http://anywhereweddingceremonies.com/fees.html
  • Options
    ValeriegoughValeriegough member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow. That is a really great price. Thanks for your help everyone!
    My venue... Image and video hosting by TinyPic ... Image and video hosting by TinyPic ... Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am using Ceremony Your Way. The girl we are using is Kirsten.  She has been great, there is no religion involved at all.  And I know she is offical, so there is no uneasy feeling there. Good luck. I found them on the Knot.
  • Options
    jlk0219jlk0219 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had a friend marry us and she got ordained online through The Universal Life Church.  It literally takes about 5 mins and you can order supplies from them too (your official credentials, a keepsake marriage certificate, etc.).  We were married in St. Louis City and had zero problems doing this.  Went and got our marriage license 30 days before the ceremony, signed it after the ceremony with 2 witnesses and also had our ordained friend sign it, turned it into City Hall within 2 weeks and voila... married!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards