Missouri-St Louis

Name changing

Hey ladies, 
 Does anyone know how to go about leagally changing your last name. We are going to get our marriage license next week and wanted to get a jump on that too. So if any of you could point me in the right direction that would be AWESOME! Thank you! 
"I heard Jesus he drank wine, I'd bet we'd get along just fine. He can calm the storm and heal the blind and I bet he'd understand a heart like mine" ~Miranda Lambert
We ride, never worry 'bout the fall.....I guess thats just the cowbow in us all ~Tim McGraw

Re: Name changing

• edited December 2011
    It is extremely simple.  Once you have your signed marriage license (after the wedding).  You take it to the license bureau and get a new license.  Then you take it to the SS office and get a new SS card.  Thats it.  Once you have those two pieces of identification with your new last name there will be no question and you just move forward chaning your passport, bills and personal life into your new name.  I think it is best to travel your honeymoon with your maiden name, because you will not have the identification with the new last name, especially if you are traveling internationally.  You can still have the hotel call you by your new last name, but travel plans (flights where identification is necessary) may be easier to use your maiden name one last time.

Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    fam6,

Thank you so much! That is pretty easy.
    "I heard Jesus he drank wine, I'd bet we'd get along just fine. He can calm the storm and heal the blind and I bet he'd understand a heart like mine" ~Miranda Lambert
    We ride, never worry 'bout the fall.....I guess thats just the cowbow in us all ~Tim McGraw
  • edited December 2011
    I had to have my new SS Card before they'd issue me a new license in my married name, so I'd do the same thing, in the opposite order.

You'll also need the photo ID in your married name to switch over bank accounts, credit cards, etc.
    White Knot
    Stand up for something you believe in. White Knot
  • edited December 2011
    Odd...I didn't ever even get my new social security card...even though I know I should have...oops.  So, check with your local office...but in general pretty painless process!
  • angiems97angiems97 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the advice girls as I was wondering this myself.  I am going back to work for the school year right after we get back from the honeymoon so I will be changing my name during that busy time.  I am also getting used to the idea that today was my last day at my work with my old name or Miss ____________!  A good change but will tkae some getting used to for staff, students, and me!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards