August 2013 Weddings

Bridesmaid question

So I have a problem- one of my bm is experiencing severe money problems and just told me she doesn't think she'll be able to afford being in the wedding. This is a close friend of mine from middle school. I'd like her to be in... but I'd like some advice from all you ladies.
Should I pay for her dress/shoes and forgo hair/mu for her? She wouldn't be able to contribute to the bachelorette or bridal shower. Is that fair to the other girls?
Or should I not have her in it but have her involved in another way as a reader or something?
I need your suggestions/advice. Thank you in advance!!!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Bridesmaid question

• I would definitely ask to be involved in another way. One of my BMs told me she can't afford hair & makeup and I really thought about offering to pay - but it is totally unfair to the other BMs.
    I would incorporate her in some way throughout the day & definitely ask for her to get ready with the rest of your party that AM.
    Good Luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm making hair and makeup optional for everyone, but not paying for it. If you did that, I think it would be okay to discreetly help her with the dress, assuming she's a great friend who is sincere about her difficulties and you can't imagine getting married without her. I wouldn't worry about the shower and bachelorette; I know in my case not all of my BMs will be contributing equal time or money there either. Good luck!
  • Can you do mismatched bridesmaid dresses so potentially everyone could wear something they already own or something they're planning to buy anyway? 

I think you should still have her be  BM. I really think it would be okay to offer to pay for her dress. I am not requiring hair and makeup of any of my girls. IDK I just think it's ishty to let money get in the way of one of your nearest and dearest standing up with you. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker whatshouldwecallweddings.tumblr.com
  • Can you make her budget work at all? I am with emeejeeayen on this one. Mismatched dresses are a great way to go (This is what I am doing) hair and makeup is not mandatory.

• In Response to Re:Bridesmaid question:
    I'm making hair and makeup optional for everyone, but not paying for it. If you did that, I think it would be okay to discreetly help her with the dress, assuming she's a great friend who is sincere about her difficulties and you can't imagine getting married without her. I wouldn't worry about the shower and bachelorette; I know in my case not all of my BMs will be contributing equal time or money there either. Good luck!
    Posted by Xstatic3333
    this!
    Visit LasVegas.Weddings.com Wedding Countdown Ticker
    March siggy:THE DRESS
    photo practically_perfect_2_zpsb1ba38c6.jpg
  • ok I think that's what I'll do then - I'd definitely rather have her standing by my side and participating in everything than just sitting as a guest.. we've been close friends since middle school. Thanks so much for your advice girls! (This sounds cheesy but everytime I have a wedding concern I always think to post it here first b/c you all are so helpful!)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards