Michigan-Detroit
Options

When to start dress shopping?

When did you start dress shopping?  My wedding is still 14 months away, but I'm so excited to go.  At the same time, I'm afraid to buy something too early in case my tastes change.  Where are the best places to go on the west side?  Thanks!!

Re: When to start dress shopping?

• Options
    Now! 
    Do you need to? 
    No, not really, but dress shopping is awesome and super fun! Just be careful not to buy too early. Go home and sleep on it afterward. Also, looking online and in magazines is fun too, so you can always start there to get an idea of what you want. I am just past the middle of a 2 year engagement and I just ordered my dress after shopping for almost a year. :)
  • Options
    I ordered my dress 14 months before the wedding!!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I ordered my dress 13 months before the wedding.  I would start now, like others have said, it is fun!  Just go in with the thought of having fun and trying on dresses so that you are less stressed.  If you find one, awesome!  If not, you have plenty of time.  
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I've been engaged for almost a year now and I started shopping in March, I ordered my dress a few weeks ago with 14 months left. Whenever you want to start...go for it!!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I ordered my dress about 3 weeks after we got engaged, but we also have a 7 month engagement. If you are shopping in GR, avoid bridal elegance on cascade. The girl that worked with me changed the price of my dress THREE TIMES and said she did not know when the dress would come in. I pretty much already knew the dress I wanted, so she was pushy to get me to buy it from her & ignored the fact that I wasn't 100% certain & wanted to try on more dresses. She basically said "stop wasting my time." Their dress selection isn't that great & they all look virtually the same. 

If you are in detroit area, I bought my dress from Gina's in Milford. Super nice, sweet, and patient & they gave me an actual date for when my dress will come in. They let me try on as many dresses as I wanted with no pressure at all!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    MMRoberts11MMRoberts11 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited April 2012
    I starting looking at dresses in magazines and online probably the day after we got engaged.  I went shopping at stores about 11 months out.  As far as picking one too early, I would recommend to know the vision of your wedding and be able to tell that to dress shops so they can help narrow down their selection for you.  Also, any pictures of dresses you find that you love bring those so they know what you are going for. 
    Beyond that, as soon as you find the dress stop looking at dresses online, in magazines, and in person.  Whenever you have doubts look at a picture of you in the dress or go visit it to remind yourself why you picked it.
    Also, as far as locations, I'd check the GR board unless you are looking for dresses in the metro-detroit area. 
  • Options
    Oh wow, a year of looking!  Maybe I should start now!  Thanks for the advice :)

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_when-to-start-dress-shopping?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:88Discussion:0532d497-bac8-4bd5-b50b-9cf1106d61afPost:c4ff1628-4418-4ace-8182-c4394424c929">Re: When to start dress shopping?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Now!  Do you need to?  No, not really, but dress shopping is awesome and super fun! Just be careful not to buy too early. Go home and sleep on it afterward. Also, looking online and in magazines is fun too, so you can always start there to get an idea of what you want. I am just past the middle of a 2 year engagement and I just ordered my dress after shopping for almost a year. :)
    Posted by enid08[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    Thanks girls!  I'm so excited!!!!  This definitely seems like the most fun part of the wedding planning!  I'll just be sad when it's over!
  • Options
    Keep in mind that they will be ordering your size, so if you think you will gain / loose a significant amount of weight between now and the wedding, you will will need to take that into account when you order.  I've heard quotes that dresses take between 4 to 8 months to get in once ordered.. then four to eight weeks to get altered, if you aren't in a rush.   

Also be careful to not try to go looking for dresses before your location, style and most obviously budget are set.  You really can't seriously make a desision until those are set in stone.

If you are looking in the Detroit metro area, I second Gina's Bridal in Milford, I also really liked I Do Too in Plymouth...  B Ella Bridal in Northville was nice, but tight. 

Have fun!
  • Options

My first dress appointment was 14 months before my wedding. Now I am nearing the 11 month mark and I still haven't found one. So I would suggest going now so you give yourself some time!

• Options
    yep agree with the other ladies.  I bought my dress almost exactly on year before the wedding.  The nice thing is - after you order it, you have the fun anticipation of waiting for it to arrive :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards