Michigan-Detroit
Options

How Does Your Ring Fit?

All right, ladies.  I LOVE my ring.  Love it love it love it.  And it's even more fantastic because FI picked it out all on his own.  Super points for him.

I am, however, not sure that I love how it fits.  It was HUGE when FI gave it to me, and we got it resized.  But even now, I'm not sure it's small enough.

It will not fly off when I shake my hand, but it regularly moves up my finger until the knuckle.  Also, it will tilt so that it looks sort of diagonal on my finger, which drives me crazy because I am totally OCD sometimes in a way that I choose to believe is adorably quirky.   My biggest issue is that it will actually turn on my finger so that the stone is facing my palm.  I hate this.

FMIL has told me horror stories about how she had to have her ring cut off of her finger twice now because it was small enough that when her fingers swelled, the ring cut off her circulation.  So I don't want to go TOO small.  How does YOUR ring fit?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: How Does Your Ring Fit?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    FI bought a size 6. We had it re-sized to a 4 and it's still a little too big. The stone flips around when I'm cold or typing a lot. It's annoying, but not bad enough to get resized again. I'm hoping it will fit better once I have the wedding band. Plus, I think your hands swell a little as you get older.
  • Options
    MMRoberts11MMRoberts11 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If your ring moves that much it sounds like it still is not the correct size. 

My ring stays on my finger and only moves slightly after I shake my hand really hard.  While taking it off when my fingers are swollen it has some resistance but not to the point where there is no way it will come off.  This is how a ring should properly fit.
  • Options
    bee&beebee&bee member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    mine fits a little like yours does when my hands are really cold.  However when I wake up, it's very hard to get my ring off and it doesn't move much cause my hands are puffier and warm.  We'll see how it is this summer.  I wouldn't want to go any smaller cause then I don't think I would be able to get it off at all. 

I hate how mine spins sometimes or leans a little but the jeweler said it was a good size and to not go any smaller.
  • Options
    emarston1emarston1 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It really depends on your finger.  I know some people who have bigger knuckles but very thin fingers so it will continuously spin becuase it needs to be big enough to fit over the knuckle.

That being said, mine fits well.  It doesn't slide around too much and there is a slight indentation in the fleshy part of my finger (the bottom portion) so it's secure.  But I also have no problem getting it on and off.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Mine turns around on my finger sometimes if my hand is on the colder side, but then again it squeezes and leaves an indent when my hand is warmer/sweaty.  I prefer it this way though because any smaller and I think it would be too tight on a warm day.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Random note: it's nice to see some ladies have a size 4 ... My rings a size 5 and spins around when I'm cold (which is often) but people make fun or comment on my small hands so it's nice to know others do too lol
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_ring-fit?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:88Discussion:065e60d5-02c3-4356-8cca-e5b8da7263fePost:abef37e2-7cd6-46fb-8c58-0581ab22bb77">Re: How Does Your Ring Fit?</a>:
    [QUOTE]It really depends on your finger.  I know some people who have bigger knuckles but very thin fingers so it will continuously spin becuase it needs to be big enough to fit over the knuckle.
    Posted by emarston1[/QUOTE]

This. I have creepy spidery hands :(
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Really the only time it spins around is when I clap alot (weird, right?).  I had it sized down twice and now it is the correct size.  It started as a 6, then sized to 5.5, now it's a 5.

I'd recommend going to the jeweler.  They can see if your ring is fitting like it should.  While you're there, try on a sizer that is the next size down.  If it doesn't go on or come of, you'll know that you shouldn't go any smaller.  But, if it goes on and off easily and feels comfortable, you could think about getting yours smaller.
  • Options
    golemhmgolemhm member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My ring fits really loose.  If I swing my hand around quickly my ring will go flying off.  FI ordered a size 4, which is what I measured at, but for some reason the ring is very loose.  It's an eternity band, so it cannot be resized.  My center stone is constantly off to the side almost resting on my pinky finger.  

Although my ring fits loose, I'm glad I have some room with it.  My ring will never be able to be resized, and I'm sure my finger will only get bigger, not smaller.  Instead of having your ring resized again, your jeweler can add gold balls to the ring so that it will fit tighter.  The balls can later be removed with no damage to the ring.  I just haven't done it yet because I have a feeling those little balls inside my ring would drive me nuts.  I've gotten used to my ring being really loose and I'm extremely careful with it (and I have lots of insurance on it).  I think it's all a matter of how you want it.  It doesn't bother me the way my ring fits, I'm so used to it now.   
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My ring fits the same way as matuofm. I have though about getting it a bit smaller but wanted to wait until summer which is when your hand swell.

I also have considered having the balls placed in it.

I have to be honest and say that I wear my ring whenever I leave the house. However, I never sleep in it and rarely cook or clean in it. So my ring gets alot of down time. Does everyone else were there ring all the time or more like me?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    golemhmgolemhm member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_ring-fit?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:88Discussion:065e60d5-02c3-4356-8cca-e5b8da7263fePost:82c42d18-cd28-4aca-9a2a-d7f20929ee3f">Re: How Does Your Ring Fit?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have to be honest and say that I wear my ring whenever I leave the house. However, I never sleep in it and rarely cook or clean in it. So my ring gets alot of down time. Does everyone else were there ring all the time or more like me?
    Posted by LOTON01[/QUOTE]

<div>This exactly.  I only wear my ring when I leave the house. </div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Mine is a bit loose, regularly turns around my finger.  I would recommend just going to where he bought it and having them check it out, they would be the best at telling you if it fts properly. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Mine is loose and rurns around alot! FI proposed the same day that I gave birth to our son so when we went looking and they measured my finger it was alot larger than normal size. Got it resized and it is still a little loose but not too much that it will come of unless I rapidly shake my hand.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker OurPlanningBio image 140 Made The Cut!
    image 104 Are Ready To Party! image 6 Are Missing Out! image 30 Can't Find The Mailbox!
  • Options
    larzhopelarzhope member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_ring-fit?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:88Discussion:065e60d5-02c3-4356-8cca-e5b8da7263fePost:abef37e2-7cd6-46fb-8c58-0581ab22bb77">Re: How Does Your Ring Fit?</a>:
    [QUOTE]It really depends on your finger. <strong> I know some people who have bigger knuckles but very thin fingers so it will continuously spin becuase it needs to be big enough to fit over the knuckle.</strong> That being said, mine fits well.  It doesn't slide around too much and there is a slight indentation in the fleshy part of my finger (the bottom portion) so it's secure.  But I also have no problem getting it on and off.
    Posted by emarston1[/QUOTE]

This is me... FI ordered a 5, but for some reason they made a 5 1/4.  Resized it down to a 4 3/4 and it was still a little big.  They put the sizing globes in so that it would allow my fingers to swell a little bit, and then there were days I couldn't get it over my knuckle. They sanded down the globes a bit so it always fits over my knuckle but it still spins.  I've also got an extremely thin band, so it is definitely top heavy.
    I originally wanted a euroshank (squared off bottom) to help w/ the spinning but my jewelr doesn't do that....

It does drive me nuts a bit too... I'm hoping when I wear my wedding band with it it will get better
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Funny you ask.. I am actually going tomorrow to get it resized. I have the bigger knuckle and the skinny finger so it turns a lot even though I have  Euro cut.  We already had it sized down to what we thought would work but are going back because it has fallen off for some reason.  It doesn't make sense because it doesn't just slide off or anything.  As far as how often I wear it.. I pretty much wear it all of the time.   I take it off to do dishes  and clean and thats pretty mcuh it.
  • Options
    matuofmmatuofm member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much for your input, guys.  It had never occurred to me that this was the problem, but I think that I must also have a bad case of "spider-fingers."  Urgh...now I've creeped myself out.  :)  It's pretty tough to get the ring over the knuckle already, so I may just have to deal with it how it is - but I'm also thinking that it may get better in the summer when our good ol' Michigan humidity kicks in.  Thanks again!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards