Michigan-Detroit
Options

Registry drama with the groom!!

Has anyone finished their registry with out your FI? Im going crazy. He doesn't understand that you cant put a set of golf clubs (imo) on the registry.. I drew the line at the sound system for the entertainment area. He says everything is for me because im theone who cooks and so on. I think he is in a major funk because it feels like he is arguing about colors and dishes just for the sake of argueing! Grr..We finished misserably at BB&B. We went to Target last sunday and left after we put 3 items on the registry! Lol.. we're going through a little wedding planning funk! He is a doll but being difficult right now!'btw.. i am going to get his golf clubs for him as a wedding gift!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Registry drama with the groom!!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Maybe try Home Depot. That is what we're doing. BBB is for me and Home Depot is for him :) Everyone is happy!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I can sympathize. FI asked me if we could put a playstation3 on the registry. I said that I think the registry is for stuff for us to start our lives and home together. So he then said, "I want quilts, lots of quilts". I have a silly FI, but he was dead serious about the quilts.Great gift idea btw, I'm sure he'll be thrilled!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would do home depot if they had electronics! I told him they dont do registrys. lol. BB&B was a no brainer for us. We want a new digital camera for when we start our family so that is why we really wanted Target. It is a great Idea though.. is it bad to have three registies?Quilts... LOl! They are soo cute, aren't they?! Steve insisted on a hat and umbrella rack then wanted to buy a top hat and umbrella.. I couldn't stop giggling!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sears has electronics and tools and they have a registry, a friend of mine did that for her registry and we are thinking about it too. My FI doesn't get the concept of a registry, he doesn't like asking people for things and he thinks the registry does that like we are requiring our guests to buy us a gift, he also thinks we have everything we need, and by "need" he means our missed matched dishes from my mom etc.. He's slowly coming around though.
    200 Celebrating with us image
    >
    December 2010 Siggy Challange 11/15-11/21: engagement ring. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Days until I become Mrs. C
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sarah, Wil sounds just like Brian.  When we were registering, he kept resisting things because "we don't NEED them".  *sigh*  I told him if we determine we truly don't need it, we can take it back...not a big deal!  I finally went by myself and added things to the registry...LOL!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I wont feel so bad whenI go with out him then!! LOl!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Don't feel bad at all!!  I didn't...LOL!
  • Options
    catstoy73catstoy73 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    When we did ours, it was like pulling teeth and trying to control a 2 year old having a temper tantrum!  I finally told him that even though we have "everything", the stuff we do have is either: worn, missed matched, old, ugly (from hand me downs) and so on.  He finally got into the game and picked out some nice things for the kitchen and bath.  We went to BBB & Kohl's.  When I finally had enough of his "thoughts" we went home and I got on the computer the next day and added some things that he said were a waste of time.  Glad I did.  I figure what he doesn't know, doesn't kill him!  He still doesn't know what all I added to the registry.
  • Options
    sunkissed212sunkissed212 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    FI keeps asking if we can register at Best Buy. I have to continuously remind him that Best Buy doesn't have a gift registry (and thank goodness for our guests). I did tell him that since we will obviously get money as well, that he can pick something (or a few things) at Best Buy that he would like to have. I just need to set a limit or else we'll have the whole store. lol
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    TTC #1 since 8/2010...2 years, 6 IUI's and 1 m/c later...
    08/2012 IVF #1, 2 5-day blasts transferred 8/19 = BFP! Beta 1 (8/28)=241, Beta 2 (8/30)=457, Beta 3 (9/5)=3,813, u/s 9/13=Twins!, u/s 9/21=Surprise...there's one more! TRIPLETS!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    TruchanaTruchana member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    #1 - I would have his mom or a married sister or sister in law explain to him what a registry is and how it really is mostly for the girl, unfortunately, especially if the guy doesn't cook.  #2 -  Guys don't get it.  My Fiance and I did not fight however he did often use the line, we won't use that.  Like about a tea pot or casserole dishes.  I had to explain to him multiple times, look people are coming to the shower and wedding and will bring either gift or money.  We need to make sure we have enough stuff on here for people to purchase because otherwise they will purchase what they want and it could be some ugly vase or we could get lots of duplicate things.  Just because we might not use it now, does not mean we won't in 5 years.  (like the china).  I would also show him the item check off lists all the places provide.#3 - Ignore him.  Seriously.  Do it on your own or online.   A lot of guys don't get it.  My FI didn't understand why we needed water goblets...his mom just laughed.  Fighting about it is only going to cause you stress.  IF it's something like colors, etc, I wouldn't suggest this, but seriously, who's going to be the one checking the registry as you get closer....You, not him.  He won't even know you added that thing he thought was useless until you are opening the day after the wedding.
  • Options
    alarthamealarthame member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    IMO, and this is probably not what you want to hear, I don't think doing it on your own is a good idea. This stuff is supposed to be for the both of you. You should compromise on what you're going to get together. We each let each other put things that we wanted on our registries. I think a sound system for the entertainment area would be fine since you would both use it in your house together. That said, there were a few things that DH said no to because "we'll never use it", that I added after the fact and told him about and he seemed okay with it (even a few things that we did receive it was like "wow this is cool') I think the whole shopping at the store thing also wears the guys out a bit so they get crabby. Either way... it should be fair.
    ~*~ Shauna & Patrick ~*~ 9/5/09 ~*~
    PhotobucketPhotobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    ^ I totally understand your point, Shauna.  I should probably clarify about my going around afterwards and adding things to the registry.  I didn't add crazy stuff to the registry...just a duvet cover I like and some decorations (picture frames, wall art, baskets, etc) that Bri couldn't really care less about.  Brian is the cook (and I do the baking) so I let him register for whatever kitchen gadgets made his little heart happy. :)  I'd definitely say he got his fair share of the registry...LOL!  Plus, my family is getting him his dream grill (a Weber Genesis).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Taryn it does sound like that, Wil is coming around and I'm set on us doing it togther, we do have some time so we are going to find some places that are a compromise and I think we may register for some DVD's and stuff, that stuff will make him happy, and I know it has to be fair and I want it to be a compromise.
    200 Celebrating with us image
    >
    December 2010 Siggy Challange 11/15-11/21: engagement ring. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Days until I become Mrs. C
  • Options
    Jacks21583Jacks21583 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The only thing FI has said to me thus far is no to a dyson vaccum cleaner. He thinks they are grossly overpriced and I must admit that I agree. U can get a great quality vaccum cleaner for less than $500!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
     ^ As someone with two long hair cats, I will say that the Dyson Animal is the best purchase I ever made.  I tried so many different vacuums before I broke down and bought the Dyson.  I burned out the motor in 6 months or less on all of cheaper vacuums.  I probably would have been better off if I had just bought a Dyson to begin with.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards