Michigan-Detroit
Options

Opinion on photography pricing

I'm not very good at comparing vendors out of thin air so I was hoping for some input from you ladies. We are looking at using the photographers who did FI's Aunt's wedding. We really liked them and their photo quality. From what I can tell, photographer pricing ranges pretty greatly. The package that we would get is priced at $2800 and it includes 8 hours of shooting with TWO photographers, up to 600 high res edited images on DVD, photobooth for the reception, and a one hour engagement session. They don't include any prints with this package, and I'm not sure how the self printing rights work (we are meeting with them next week to discuss further details). From you experience, does this seem like a fair price, given that we really like their style?

I'm having a hard time finding other to compare them with, because I'm basically just picking random photogs off of lists to check out, and it is hard to have an unbiased eye because I already like the ones we're considering.

Thanks!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Opinion on photography pricing

• Options
    Mrs0toBeMrs0toBe member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well I can tell you what we are paying for our package with 11-4 productions

$1895 for 7 hours with one photographer.  No photo booth (Rock the Booth).

DVD with all photos.  Rights to all photos.  Online ordering.

Coffee table wedding album. $150.00 extra credit towards prints.
  • Options
    larzhopelarzhope member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    it does seem fair - I've seen more expensive photographers and cheaper photogs.  It does seem like you should have rights with this package though - ask how much extra that would be.
  • Options
    jhawthorne85jhawthorne85 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I think $2800 for 8 hours wtih 2 photographers sound fair IF you had rights to the photos..im paying $1000 for 2 photographers, unlimited hours, and the rights to my photo's....I'd shop around a little more if I were you!
    Photobucket Married at last! *11-18-11*
  • Options
    emarston1emarston1 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_opinion-photography-pricing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:88Discussion:173c7a94-1016-41e8-a024-d936fb6219e2Post:da983b81-cf56-451d-8033-5e3d2dbec2e7">Re: Opinion on photography pricing</a>:
    [QUOTE]it does seem fair - I've seen more expensive photographers and cheaper photogs.  It does seem like you should have rights with this package though - ask how much extra that would be.
    Posted by larzhope[/QUOTE]
    This.  Photography pricing can range greatly based on any number of factors.  Just make sure you see a lot of their work and that you love it.

Also, definitely find out if you get the rights to the photos.  If you don't, I would keep looking.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_opinion-photography-pricing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:88Discussion:173c7a94-1016-41e8-a024-d936fb6219e2Post:68cc18e7-9189-435f-b0cb-2cee3e13bf68">Re: Opinion on photography pricing</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think $2800 for 8 hours wtih 2 photographers sound fair IF you had rights to the photos..im paying $1000 for 2 photographers, unlimited hours, and the rights to my photo's....I'd shop around a little more if I were you!
    Posted by jhawthorne85[/QUOTE]

Would you mind me asking who you are using? I definitely do want to shop around more, but I lack a good method for it other than just checking out random names from a list, you know? I guess I will take the time to wade through the vendor review thread here, hopefully that will help.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It sounds very reasonable to me as long as you have printing rights.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    larzhopelarzhope member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_opinion-photography-pricing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:88Discussion:173c7a94-1016-41e8-a024-d936fb6219e2Post:994ed225-c57f-4a2e-af2a-6ac6fecf2bd3">Re: Opinion on photography pricing</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Opinion on photography pricing : Would you mind me asking who you are using? I definitely do want to shop around more, but I lack a good method for it other than just checking out random names from a list, you know? I guess I will take the time to wade through the vendor review thread here, hopefully that will help.
    Posted by swhite2012[/QUOTE]

Check out the vendor sticky at the top of the board (those are the posts at the top with the pin in them). Here, everyone has listed their vendors and some even list pricing for them so you can narrow it down that way.  You'll see that we use a lot of the same vendors on here b/c we know other knotties have had great experiences with them.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm paying $700 for 1-2 photographers, before, during and after ceremony, First 2-3 hours of the reception to get the must have photos (cake, dances, etc), full rights and all photos on dvd, 20-30 edited photos and she said usually she takes over 1200 pictures. We don't get an album, but that's fine since I'm getting it from somewhere else (she does go thru a printer if I chose to get one from him as well as the extra prints)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think the pricing sounds fair, as long as you get photo printing rights.

If you are looking for comparisons, some popular names on this board are Pure Amour Photography, Amy Boeve, Amanda Williams, and the Camera Chick.
  • Options
    MMRoberts11MMRoberts11 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_opinion-photography-pricing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:88Discussion:173c7a94-1016-41e8-a024-d936fb6219e2Post:68cc18e7-9189-435f-b0cb-2cee3e13bf68">Re: Opinion on photography pricing</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think $2800 for 8 hours wtih 2 photographers sound fair IF you had rights to the photos..im paying $1000 for 2 photographers, unlimited hours, and the rights to my photo's....I'd shop around a little more if I were you!
    Posted by jhawthorne85[/QUOTE]

I'm basically getting this package too for the same price.  I'm using Larry Roels of LWR photography.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards