Michigan-Detroit
Options

Could use some reassurance

Hi Ladies!

We're having our ceremony at The Cathedral of the Most Blessed Sacrament (detroit) and the reception at The Palazzo Grande (Sterling Heights). The wedding is Friday, so we're having the ceremony at 5:00-6:00, then Appetizers/Cocktails starting at the Palazzo at 7:00pm

We couldn't find a church around the Palazzo that would let us have the ceremony, and we fell in love with the Cathedral. The two are apx 20 miles apart. The church said people have done the same in the past (cathedral - palazzo).

Do you think my guests will feel  put out?

Thanks girls

Re: Could use some reassurance

• Options
    emarston1emarston1 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, it's on the far side but I don't think it's bad.  My general rule is about a 25-30 minute drive and I would assume that 20 miles is about that long.  If you love both venues, I wouldn't change it based on the 20 miles.
  • Options
    crhein26crhein26 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

If you want to have your ceremony 20 miles from your reception, that is your choice.  And if you guests do not like it, they may just not show up to both.  However, if you are referring to the Palazzo Grande that I think you are, it is actually in Shelby Township at 25 Mile and Van Dyke.  If your ceremony ends at 6pm and you plan to start appetizers at 7pm, I'm not sure many of your guests will be there.  You are talking about a Friday night, headed north on 75.  Even if they don't take 75 north, traffic is very busy heading north east towards the Utica/Shelby Township area.  It doesn't matter what time of year, it is bound to be congested on a Friday night.  Not only that, but I live near the Palazzo and they have been doing contruction on Van Dyke.  It will be under construction next year as well.  They have been working on it from 23 to 24 Miles this year and next year the plan is to fix 24 Mile to 26 Mile on Van Dyke.  I am in no way trying to detour you from choosing the ceremony site and reception site of your choosing, but you may want to adjust your times a little.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Brian and Cori 11-19-11
  • Options
    Julz629Julz629 member
    edited December 2011

It seems like a bit of a distance to me.  If you love both, I think it's fine.  But I think you should be prepared for the fact that it is more likely people may skip the ceremony and just come to the reception.

Photobucket Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We were in the same situation. We needed to have our reception nears hotels since about half our wedding will be from out of town and my hometown doesn't have hotels near the reception halls. I called every Catholic church within 15-20 minutes of Canton (location of reception) and not one of them would marry us because we didn't belong that parrish. We are now using my home parrish and it's 30-40 minutes from the reception hall. I know that some out of town people who fly in will not attend the ceremony, but we really tried our best. The people who really want to be there will be. We also looked at the Cathedral and loved it, but couldn't add the additional money for it.

I think you'll be just fine with your timing and distance. The people who are closest to you will make it work and be there for both. :) Good Luck.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Vanessa, I peeked at your bio and see you are getting married 9/16/11. Cori brings up some good points in her post, I'm also familiar with the Van Dyke Rd construction, as I recently went out there. I live near Van Dyke and 12 Mile Rd, which is where the GM Tech Center is.

Blessed Sacrament Cathedral is absolutely gorgeous. I cannot fault you for wanting to have your ceremony there. I also know that it's tough to find Catholic churchs that will marry non-parishioners.

I checked google maps, and it's 45 minutes each way, using I-75,  I-696 and Van Dyke Rd. Not sure if you've thought about  rooms for out of town guests yet, but if they stay near the Palazzo (makes most sense), they will be traveling both ways.

I checked the Detroit Tigers schedule, and they are on the road that night in Oakland. Unless the Lions are playing a Friday night game at Ford Field, there shouldn't be much traffic heading downtown on a Friday night, it's all going north on I-75, away from downtown Detroit.  

Rush hour lasts from 3 pm to 7 pm in any direction in the metro Detroit area, with prime rush hour on your travel route to & from the wedding being from 4-6 pm. If there's an accident, or construction, it's worse/longer.

Taking into account what Cori said above, and the info I've posted, I think you can anticipate many people will not make the wedding mass. If they are local, close family or friends, or in from out of town, they will probably schedule a vacation day that day so they can do both. Everyone should be able to make it from the church to the reception venue by 7 pm barring any unforseen traffic congestion.

It's a once in a lifetime experience for you, and you've chosen 2 fabulous venues. You are not in charge of what people decide to do, just make sure they are well informed about the distances and time, rush hour, etc, then let them make their own decisions.
  • Options
    sunkissed212sunkissed212 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am by no means trying to deter you either but I just experienced the heII that is VanDyke traffic on a friday for my own wedding.

We got married (ceremony and reception) at Greystone Golf Club in Romeo. Most of the guests from my side were coming from the downriver communities, and west side (A2, Plymouth, etc). A 'normal' commute time for that drive is about 1:15. Many of my guests missed my entire ceremony (5:30 start) because they got stuck in traffic on the way. It took most people 2-2.5 hours to get to the location. That was the only disappointing thing that happened on my wedding day is that I grossly underestimated the time that people would need to get there. I wish I would have thought of it sooner and let people know to allow a lot of extra time to get through that mess during rush hour.

Just keep it in mind. Maybe make the drive yourself during the time your guests would be, just to see how long it will really take. You can't trust google maps because it doesn't account for traffic and construction. Good luck!!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    TTC #1 since 8/2010...2 years, 6 IUI's and 1 m/c later...
    08/2012 IVF #1, 2 5-day blasts transferred 8/19 = BFP! Beta 1 (8/28)=241, Beta 2 (8/30)=457, Beta 3 (9/5)=3,813, u/s 9/13=Twins!, u/s 9/21=Surprise...there's one more! TRIPLETS!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    gotthemessagegotthemessage member
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much you guys, I really appreciate it- you're the best
  • Options
    zantsterzantster member
    First Comment First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    You've already gotten some great advice from PPs.  I just wanted to add that I have been to a few Friday weddings where some guests have been pretty tuckered out between the hour long ceremony (I am having an hour long mass as well) and travel to the reception place and then a cocktail hour.  I don't know if it's because it is the end of a work week combined with having to travel a bit after an hour-long ceremony or what.  But I have seen guests leave earlier than expected after eating.  And the brides look disappointed.  I just thought you might want to keep in mind how long you are expecting the entire evening to last.  Are you ok if some people leave by 10pm or 11pm? 
  • Options
    gotthemessagegotthemessage member
    edited December 2011
    Do you guys think it would be better if the timing goes like this:

Ceremony: 3:00pm-4:00pm
    Cocktail hour/Appetizers: 5:00pm - 6:30pm
    Dinner: 6:30

Would that help in avoiding traffic? Do you guys think that would be better? That would probably mean less people at the ceremony, but I'm just worried about putting people out.

What do you guys think?
  • Options
    Julz629Julz629 member
    edited December 2011
    I would NOT do a 3pm Friday wedding.  I know that you say you are OK with less guests attending the ceremony, but I feel like you should be considerate of your guests who want to attend the ceremony, but have work.  There has got to be a ceremony site that is closer than 20 miles to your reception site.

ETA:  On the "Floor Plan" page of the Palazzo Grande website, it shows a set up for a ceremony -- have you thought about having your ceremony at the same place as the reception?
    Photobucket Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards