August 2013 Weddings

Greetings!!

Hello all! I've been participating on my local knot board for a few months, my friend said her month board was really nice so I figured I should check out my month board too :)

My name is Vanessa and I am from Pittsburgh, Pa. I moved to New Jersey recently because my FI works out of the Newark Airport. Our wedding is in Pittsburgh though, so I will be planning from out of state! We got engaged in March of this year and our wedding date is 8.24.2013.

We are having our ceremony and reception at the same site, it's mostly outdoors with a beautiful weeping willow, pond and house built in the 1700s for the cocktail hour. Our colors are going to be green and a rose/blush color. I have an ivory lace dress with an awesome keyhole cut out in the back. I don't have a clue what I want my maids to wear yet! And my FI is either going to wear gray or tan, vest, no jacket. Our theme is bird/cages, because of the way he proposed. He made a beautiful bird house all lit up with hand written notes to me about our love and creating our own nest inside the windows and on the back. After I was done crying at how nice it was I turned to him and he had a ring. And our venue was recently purchased by the Audubon Society so how fitting!

We have a good amount of the basics done so far and we just got our engagement pics done on Monday in Pittsburgh! I saw half of them and am in love.

I was unemployed for two months when I moved here, finally got a job at a local no-kill animal shelter. It's tough working for minimum wage but it's better than being unemployed! And I'm all about rescuing animals so it's good!  We are set to close on a house in October. I am excited to get established because I really need some friends :(  He travels a lot so it's just me and the pups.

So excited to join this group and hear about all your planning! Thanks for reading :)
Have a great weekend

Re: Greetings!!

• Xstatic3333Xstatic3333 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited September 2012
    Welcome! Your wedding sounds lovely! We are having a mostly outdoor venue too, August is a great time for it. Your dress also sounds great. I love those keyhole back styles. The don't quite work on me, but I am a fan!
  • Hi Vanessa.  Welcome to the August 2013 board.  Your proposal story is so sweet.  How original!   Kudos to your FH on that one. 

Your wedding sounds lovely.  I love outdoor venues and it sounds perfect for what you have in mind.  Looking forward to seeing how all of your plans develop. 

While I've never worked at a rescue I am a big animal lover.  I have to admit my heart would not be able to take working at a rescue.  I would want to take them all.  I have a Rottweiler that I purchased from a breeder but had I been more aware of the rescue I would have gone there instead.  Don't get me wrong I love my Rottie but there are so many good pets that just want a home.  Ugh. Heartbreaking.  Anyway just wanted to say I appreciate the work that you do.  :)

Also, congrats on the purchase of your home!    

Love is the ultimate superpower.   
    It can make you weak and strong simultaneously.  

• Welcome Vanessa!  I am also planning a wedding out of state.  We currently live in the greater DC area and we are planning our wedding in the Philly suburbs since that's where I grew up.
  • Welcome! Your wedding plans sound wonderful! I love the color choices!!! I'll also be planning my wedding out of state, so I feel your pain! : congrats on everything!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Paris & Joel/Began Dating: 2/16/2011/ Engaged: 8/19/2012/ Wedding Date: 8/17/2013
    SURPRISE! Due Date: 10/15/2013
  • Yay! thanks for all the love!

So glad The Knot has these boards because I think my friends would get annoyed at all my planning chatter :)

island07b2b-- there are so many people who aren't aware of rescues!  i love rottweilers! their coats are so beautiful and they are so loving!
    i have volunteered at local shelters before but this is my first time working at one. i dont know how people do it, it is heartbreaking to see the animals and then to hear all the stories about humans coming in who no longer want their pets! but thankfully, there are some really great stories, too... not as often, but when they do happen it makes it all worthwhile.

hope everyone has a great week!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards