Michigan-Detroit
Options

NWR - Glasses Vent

I have been wearing either glasses or contacts since the age of 13.  I have never been vain about my glasses - to me when I started wearing contacts they were the bakup to give my eyes a rest.  Sometimes I will wear my glasses for a week before going back to my contacts.

Well earlier this week I take out my contacts (the extended wear) and for some reason it just didn't seem right when I put my glasses on.  I just felt 'off-kilter' (I wasn't dizzy or got a headache).  I found a pair with the same scrpit (but w/o the no line bi-focal) and have been wearing them all week.

Earlier this year I went ahead and got a new script for both glasses and contacts as i usually do every other year alternating between scripts.  I got contact this year but thought I might be able to swing a pair of lenses if needed.

It looks like the time has come but almost flipped - the lenese alone will be $260 and that doesn't include tax!  While I could do w/o the Transitions, I am very sensitive to light.  The script in my one yey is pretty bad so I go with the high index so the lenses will be lighter and thinner.

I don't know if I can wait until January and just have a new script done at that time and let my insurance pay for it.  I am trying to stretch out my contacts so they will last me more than a year but I will do whatever the doctor says.  I had an eye ulcer years ago and I don't want to go thru that again!

I really could use a 5 of 6 on the lottery right about now - pay for the glasses, new contacts, pay all the bills and have the wedding of my dreams - with money left over to tithe and put into savings!

Re: NWR - Glasses Vent

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Well you have a better chance on the lotto than I do- I'm far to cheap to play : )   On a related subject... I have been buying my glasses from Zenni optical for a couple of years now and they are great. It is a online company and single vision glasses start around $7. I have been happy with their customer service people and quality of glasses. You just need your script and pupillary distance, doctors don't usually give you that if you don't ask. I don't have transitions, but it costs $5 extra to add color tinting, so I just have another pair made for wearing in the sun. The website is a pita to maneuver, but once you get cheap @ss glasses that are great quality, you'll never shop at a eyeglass place again! 
  • Options
    PhoneCardLadyPhoneCardLady member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011
    Well, I'm just getting lenses but they are still expensive.  I have a very bad astigmtist (sp) and because of that I go with the high index lenses so they will be light.  I also have bi-focals and I go with the no line, and of course the anti-glare coating.  I can do with or without the Transitions but this is nice as I don't have to buy a prescription set of glasses (I do however have regular sunglasses when I wear my contacts).

I did a price check at Costco - $178 + tax w/o Transitions, $210 + tax with.  That also includes $18 for the tracing of the lenses as it is not something from their stock.  Last time when I went to Sam's Club to get lenses they waved the fee as I did buy the frames at Wally World!

I'm not much of a lotto person either - that's why I would be happy with 5 of 6 numbers at the moment.  I just need some cash FAST!
  • Options
    courtney1188courtney1188 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_nwr-glasses-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:88Discussion:40b66b7f-fa4b-4146-96cd-3f3ab05e1757Post:23c8732d-a063-480b-87c0-c3757be4cba4">Re: NWR - Glasses Vent</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well, I'm just getting lenses but they are still expensive.  I have a very bad astigmtist (sp) and because of that I go with the high index lenses so they will be light.  I also have bi-focals and I go with the no line, and of course the anti-glare coating.  I can do with or without the Transitions but this is nice as I don't have to buy a prescription set of glasses (I do however have regular sunglasses when I wear my contacts). I did a price check at Costco - $178 + tax w/o Transitions, $210 + tax with.  That also includes $18 for the tracing of the lenses as it is not something from their stock.  Last time when I went to Sam's Club to get lenses they waved the fee as I did buy the frames at Wally World! I'm not much of a lotto person either - that's why I would be happy with 5 of 6 numbers at the moment.  I just need some cash FAST!
    Posted by PhoneCardLady[/QUOTE]

I totally feel your pain! A super strong prescription and astigmatism unfortunately tends to mean it's a must to pay for the anti-glare coating and extra so that your lenses are not coke bottle thick. Plus of course you don't want the cheapest glasses, they need to be cute if you're wearing them every day! I've had pretty good luck pricewise at pearlvision, last time I went there I got a free pair of presciption sunglasses with my regular glasses!Q
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards