Michigan-Detroit
Options

NWR: Pet Boarding Suggestions

Where do you and your FI leave your pets while you go on vacation?  Bonus points if you have suggestions near Rochester.  Any idea on typical costs as well?

FI and I have never had to leave them before.  I have left my cat for 2 or 3 nights before and I swear he was so unhappy with me when I finally came back.  FI and I are spending 7 nights in Mexico for our honeymoon in November.  Since we are flying out at 6:50 a.m. and returning around midnight that is 2 more nights we need to have them stay somewhere.  Family would offer to take them, but our dog is kind of a nightmare so would never take anyone up on that.  We may have someone just check in on our cat but I have a feeling he will get too lonely, he's a very social animal. 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: NWR: Pet Boarding Suggestions

• Options
    vk2204vk2204 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I cannot remember the exact name of the place (dog gone acres maybe??), but it is in Canton. My family took our doberman there in April for 10 days. He can be a nightmare as well, but the girls who worked there said he was so much fun to play with. We would call and leave messages asking how he was doing and they would call back by the next day.

The package we got was one of the more expensive ones, lots of outdoor time, walks, having a buddy dog, but the only downfall was that since our dog is bigger he didnt have a "friend" to play with that was in his size range.

We got to bring a few personal items for him to make it more homey. And overall we think he enjoyed it!
  • Options
    cmusmiles85cmusmiles85 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We take our dog once a week to Camp Bow Wow (they have several locations- I think they're independently owned). Anyways- HE LOVES IT. The also have video cameras in the play rooms so I can watch him while I'm at work. He'll be staying there over night for the first time Labor Day weekend- but I expect there to be no problems.
    Anniversary Vacation Vacation
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have friends in Troy, Royal Oak and Rochester who all have dogs and they all board them at the Play and Stay Pet Center. (Click)  Sometimes two of our friends will drop their dogs off while they go out so that their dogs can play together and not be stuck in the house.  Its like $26 a night for overnight.    They all love it.  HTH
  • Options
    emarston1emarston1 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We've always taken Bella to the PetSmart Hotel (in Southfield) and have nothing but great things to say.  We also love that a vet is onsite so if anything should happen, someone is there to take care of her.

ETA:  Bella is a cat.  I have no experience with their dog boarding but my good friend has taken her dog there and had good things to say.
  • Options
    MMRoberts11MMRoberts11 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I second the PetSmart Hotels.  If anything were to happen your pet would go straight over to Banfield (their pet hospital).  My second recommendation would be Camp Bow Wow. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    camp bow wow is great, but you may be better hiring a person to care for your pets at home!  they are more comfortable at home and it is less stressful.  try contacting te pet care au pair!  i believe she is located in rochester too!  if you have more questions just contact me...i work for an animal welfare org and am happy to help!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards