Michigan-Detroit
Options

Maternity Line at Forever 21

Maybe I am just getting old but I thought this was kind of crazy that a store targeted towards teens is starting a maternity line.  What are everyone else's thoughts?  

Photobucket Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Maternity Line at Forever 21

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I think it's great.  I still shop at Forever21 and I am far from being a teen.  Cheap maternity stuff gets a thumbs up from me!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I read about this yesterday.  Honestly I was surprised that they started a maternity line because the store is mostly geared towards young people; but there are a lot of women in their 20s and 30s that shop there so I don't necessarily think it's "encouraging teen pregnancy" the way the protester claimed.  If I was a 16 year old shopping there and saw maternity clothes my first impulse would be to walk the other way and not think, "hmmm I think I'm gonna run out and get knocked up today so I can wear that cute mommy top."  :-)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I love it! They have a plus size line FAITH 21 and since I am a size 14, I am excited to be back wearing Forever 21! I am slo excited to know that I can also be stylish and cute when I get preggo! Like pp said, typically 20 and 30 year olds wear there clothes, so I have no bad thoughts about it :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would have never thought they would have a maternity line. Like you said, the store is gear towards teens. Not that I care, I haven't been to one since I was probably 25.
  • Options
    Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I find it odd that anyone gears anything toward "maternity". When I was pregnant, even hugely pregnant, I just bought larger sized clothes, LOL.

While Forever 21 is geared toward teens, I've even found the occasional thing there that I've liked. Not much, but on occasion.

LOL Festivegal: If I was a 16 year old shopping there and saw maternity clothes my first impulse would be to walk the other way and not think, "hmmm I think I'm gonna run out and get knocked up today so I can wear that cute mommy top."  :-)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Well the article points out why they are doing it - there's a market for it. They are launching the line in the states with the highest teen pregnancy rates for a reason.

Lots of teens shop at our stores, same teens are getting pregnant, we can sell those teens more clothes if we offer maternity clothes too. TADA!

ETA - those states had high rates of teen pregnancy BEFORE the line so I don't think the company can be blamed for that one.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Julz629Julz629 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The first time I heard about it, I thought WHAT?

But really, I think its perfectly fine.  And a good business decision for them.  Let's put it this way...if the fact that Forever 21 has a maternity line is encouraging teens to get pregnant, then there are much further issues that need to be addressed.

I feel like some parents just want to point the finger to someone for an increased rate of teen pregnancy when the problem can be more appropriately addressed at home.
    Photobucket Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_maternity-line-forever-21?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:88Discussion:44c9fb55-20ee-4373-9f74-b1914fbf4c5ePost:a20d602d-2ad9-4e11-9410-044afb36c578">Re: Maternity Line at Forever 21</a>:
    [QUOTE]The first time I heard about it, I thought WHAT? But really, I think its perfectly fine.  And a good business decision for them.  Let's put it this way...if the fact that Forever 21 has a maternity line is encouraging teens to get pregnant, then there are much further issues that need to be addressed. I feel like <strong>some parents just want to point the finger</strong> to someone for an increased rate of teen pregnancy when <strong>the problem can be more appropriately addressed at home.</strong>
    Posted by jholbel[/QUOTE]

But but Julie! That would mean parents need to *gulp* actually <em>BE </em>parents... whoever heard of such a thing! ;-)
  • Options
    Julz629Julz629 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://detroit.weddings.com/main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_maternity-line-forever-21?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:88Discussion:44c9fb55-20ee-4373-9f74-b1914fbf4c5ePost:6eb64315-e362-433d-82d1-49bfa08921cc">Re: Maternity Line at Forever 21</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Maternity Line at Forever 21 : But but Julie! That would mean parents need to *gulp* actually BE parents... whoever heard of such a thing! ;-)
    Posted by futuremrsbrian[/QUOTE]

I take it back!  UNDO!  UNDO!

It's true!!!  The kids are getting pregnant because Forever 21 is saying it's the cool thing to do!
    Photobucket Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_maternity-line-forever-21?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:88Discussion:44c9fb55-20ee-4373-9f74-b1914fbf4c5ePost:d5c2a3cf-09c7-43bc-898d-3be906e37427">Re: Maternity Line at Forever 21</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Maternity Line at Forever 21 : I take it back!  UNDO!  UNDO! It's true!!!  The kids are getting pregnant because Forever 21 is saying it's the cool thing to do!
    Posted by jholbel[/QUOTE]

Boy. Its a good thing they didn't have this when I was a teen - I always listen to the clothing stores about major life altering decisions.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm with you guys, I don't think it's a big deal at all. Retailers are always trying to find new ways to expand their brand, and this will definitely do it.

regarding targeting areas with higher rates of teen pregnancy(and at the risk of being flamed), I actually think it's a pretty good idea.  Obviously younger people shop there, and if they are already a bunch of pregnant girls, then they know there is a market for it, right?  And not to mention, teenagers are poor, so they need cheap clothes.  Forever 21 delivers that, so they know it will go over well.
    Final Count 181! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    emarston1emarston1 member
    edited December 2011
    Well where else are the stars of 16 and Pregnant going to shop?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    From a business standpoint, great idea.  Genius.  Why not?

From an ethical viewpoint....eh.  I don't think it would necessarily encourage girls to get knocked up, but it obviously is encouraging them to spend money on maternity clothing when they should probably just be sticking to the bare bones (like maybe some salvo trips?) and saving any little amount of money they have for their child and their future.  But that's more of a responsibility thing.  No harm in buying a couple of cute shirts or something.   
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards