Michigan-Detroit
Options

i need some opinions..

Hello All,

I need some perspective.  My FI and I have been really struggling with the idea of how much a wedding/reception costs.  My dad suggested an american legion hall (he & my mom got married at one 30 years ago) and my FI's mom has suggested we really give it some thought (they had a wedding at her parents home 40+years ago.) I'm not against the idea - in fact we kind of like it as long as the hall doesn't remind us of a bingo hall.  We like the idea because we can bring our own caterer (friend of both of our parents) and we won't really have to sacrifice cutting the guest list. (Which we LOVE.)

I guess I'm wondering what all of you would think if you were invited to a reception at a legion hall. Would you think it was cheap? Or tacky? I think our families wouldn't mind, but our younger friends are "made of money" people and I worry they may be judgemental.  What would you think? I know ultimately its whatever my FI and I decide and our friends/family will be happy to celebrate with us - but I also know that we ought to think about our guests too.

Also anyone know of any halls to avoid or to take a look at?  Thanks in advance for the help! 
Daisypath Anniversary tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic 195image 155image 40image

Re: i need some opinions..

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I think a Legion Hall is fine. There are plenty of newer halls and nice halls around that you could use.  Don't worry about what your friends and family are going think.  If you want to have it at a Legion Hall so you don't have to cut your guest list I think that is great.  If you have it at a "nicer" hall, and have to cut your guest list I would suggest cutting your judgemental friends anyway!
  • Options
    GwenwhyfareGwenwhyfare member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What it boils down to is you're getting married and people will come no matter where you have your reception. You don't need to have a big fancy party if you don't want to.

If your budget will allow for a Legion Hall, then do that, there's nothing wrong with it.
    There is no death. Only a change of worlds
    life | home
  • Options
    crhein26crhein26 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with pp.  It's your wedding and you should do it the way you want it.  If you want to have it at a Legion hall, then go for it.  And if you are worried about the way it looks, you could always upscale it with decorations if your budget allows.  And at the end of the day, no one really remembers what the hall looks like when your wedding is over anyways.  It's about how much fun they had at your wedding!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Brian and Cori 11-19-11
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with PP as well.   In fact, FI and I may even go your route.   Money totally sucks right now.   It's your party, you can have it wherever you want!  Smile
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with everyone! This is your day! And you will be surprised at how supportive people are rather than judgemental. Even if they are you probably won't hear about it and you'll be so happy that day to care. Most of the time the decorations make the venue anyway so just fancy-it up a bit and it'll be fine. Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thumper1148Thumper1148 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've been to weddings at Legion halls.  The ones I have been to have been nice.    So have you wedding where you want. :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think it really comes down to what you and your FI feel comfortable with. I've been to various weddings. They range from the American Legion to The Royal Park Hotel and the ones that had their weddings at the American Legion or KofC Hall wanted more guests. They didn't care about the fancy things like food and the decor, what mattered to them was the fact that all of their friends and family were able to attend. If what YOU want is all of your friends and family to be there, then go the American Legion route. If you have friends complaining that it's not fancy enough, then eff them. Maybe they weren't really your friends to begin with. Don't worry about what others think. Plan your day the way you and your FI want it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    IMO what makes a good wedding is not the venue's perceived expense. Yummy food, decent booze, lots of dancing, and most importantly a happy bride & groom make a good wedding.

You can have a horrible wedding at a 5-star hotel and a great wedding at a VFW hall.  Honestly you may be surprised with how un-judgey people are - if they are your friends they will be happy and have a good time no matter where they are.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have been to a wedding at a legion hall, and it was actually pretty nice!  You can totally dress it up with decorations, linens, lighting, etc. so that it doesn't look cheap.  I really don't think anyone is going to judge you based on the hall.  And if they do, so what?  You're being really smart and practical about it, you should be proud of that.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards