Michigan-Detroit
Options

Cake Tasting

I know many bakeries offer free cake tasting.. but which ones offer it without the hassle? I mean, yes we are searching for our baker but we also just want to eat free cake!! (I say this while training for my first half marathon in October.. and my wedding in November..) 

Sooooo which bakeries are great about free cake tasting and quality service, without trying to force contracts in your face or anything?

TIA!

Re: Cake Tasting

• Options
    edited December 2011
    i think elite sweets in livonia has free tastings and dont bug you...

...its nice to know im not the only one up :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My FI is in the UP (and I'm supposed to be up there with him but a friend bailed last minute and I didn't want to drive 6 hours alone) and they don't have any cell service up there so I'm being a worry wart... staying up late... in and out of sleep... and of course, all over theknot.com trying to fill my brain with wedding plans [: 
  • Options
    lcsnowflakelcsnowflake member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

Sweetheart bakery in Warren will let you pick up samples of cake without an appointment and no pushy contracts in your face.  I would just call ahead before you go in to get the cake.

Good luck with the half marathon!  Are you doing the Detroit?  I did it for the first time this past year and signed up for it again for 2011. 

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Sorella's home bakery in Livonia did a very  nice job for our cake tasting.

You get to choose from 4 different cake flavors and 4 different fillings to try. They had the samples ready when we got there, left us alone to try everything and talk about it amongst ourselves, the portions were much bigger than we expected for a tasting (we couldn't even eat it all between the two of us) and then they just sat down and went over our options there that we could do for the cake and had lots of options to choose from! Then they just checked to see if our date was still available and said we could come back in when we wanted to do a contract and make our deposit.

No pressure, very nice people, great cake and I highly recommend them!
  • Options
    amyn1919amyn1919 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sweet Dreams Bakery at 13 and Ryan...i was in there the other day..you literally can eat and leave..they are very low pressure!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I love you all for not judging me to simply want to taste cake in peace! :-)

-- and yes, my FI and I are doing the Detroit HALF Marathon and I couldn't be more nervous/excited! We ran our first 5K in November in San Antonio - the Warrior Dash, which is a couple miles with obstacles and MUD and it was soooo much fun but I want to run farther, I want to push myself. Maybe I'll see you there in the mass chaos of thousands of people ;-) 
  • Options
    lespurcelllespurcell member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Zingerman's in Ann Arbor sends you home with a box of 6-8 different flavors of cake. They were all DEELISH!!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love. ~Albert Einstein
  • Options
    larzhopelarzhope member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_cake-tasting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:88Discussion:4acc5130-fe58-4692-897d-6a5cb08ed580Post:2255211f-fad6-41f4-bde5-bfb7407577de">Re: Cake Tasting</a>:
    [QUOTE]I love you all for not judging me to simply want to taste cake in peace! :-) -- and yes, my FI and I are doing the Detroit HALF Marathon and I couldn't be more nervous/excited! We ran our first 5K in November in San Antonio - the Warrior Dash, which is a couple miles with obstacles and MUD and it was soooo much fun but I want to run farther, I want to push myself. Maybe I'll see you there in the mass chaos of thousands of people ;-) 
    Posted by Milsey32[/QUOTE]

I second elite sweets in Livonia, thats where our cake is coming from.

I just ran my first full marathon yesterday. did a half in November.  One of the beautiful things about running and training is that cake samples? so the least of your worries.  Your appetite will become so voracious that you won't feel bad about that double bacon cheeseburger or 3 donuts and it totally won't affect how well you run :)  Part  of the reason I enjoy runnign is so I can eat what I want!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I second the Sweetheart Bakery in Warren.  They had a box of cake samples ready for us and did not even talk contracts with us at all until we asked.  And the cake is sooooo good!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You can try Holiday Market Bakery in Royal Oak. You can try two different flavors and they give you a little small cake to take home after you taste a slice. Also if u go with them on ur 1 year anniversary they give u a coupon to come back and get a cake to cut on your anniversary in case u don't want to save the one from your day.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    @lespurcell - I'm so pumped because I'm going to AA next weekend anyway! 
    @larzhope - yes, I definitely enjoy eating what I want since I can just run it off, haha - congrats on your first marathon!
    @tcage - thanks! so far that's definitely the closest, but I don't mind driving for free cake that will contribute to our awesome reception! :-)

thanks thanks thanks thanks xoxo
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're using Gwen's Cakes in Saline and she had a ton of cake for us to try and we loved all of it. Neither of us really like cake and we LOVED her. Free tasting and her prices were some of the best around.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Jen - you haven't been around much lately!  Come by more often!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards