New York-Hudson Valley
Options

Do tell me....

Tell me ....
Did you know when your bridal shower was? Or was it a total surprise?

If you knew were you glad? Did you have to put on your academy award face so the rest of the guests "thought" it was a total surprise?

Are showers even a surprise any longer?

What was your experience?

If you have an inkling yours is coming up tell me what you're going to do?

Inquiring minds wanna know........pssssssst I found out when mine is! Shhhh
bah hahahahahaha Innocent
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Do tell me....

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Tell me ....
    Did you know when your bridal shower was? Or was it a total surprise? Knew when mine was, helped my mom plan it.

If you knew were you glad? Did you have to put on your academy award face so the rest of the guests "thought" it was a total surprise? It was never supposed to be a surprise so I didn't have to fake anything.  I was really glad I knew, had no issues with worrying about 'what will I be wearing... etc"  I also hate surprises.

My friend wanted a surprise shower and in all honesty, it was a pain in the ass to plan.
  • Options
    Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I knew when it was, but the rest was supposed to be a surprise. But, I found out the location the week of.

If you knew were you glad? Did you have to put on your academy award face so the rest of the guests "thought" it was a total surprise?
    I was glad. When I've planned showers in the past, I always found that keeping it a surprise was a lot of work with little payoff. They almost always figure it out. I planned my sister's shower the year before mine and my mother forced us to try and keep it a surprise. It was really stressful and she figured it out about a half hour before her big entrance. She didn't pretend she was shocked when she walked into the room, she just had a big smile on her face. After that, we decided no more surprise showers,

Are showers even a surprise any longer? I think a lot of people still try to make it a surprise, but the past 5 I've been to, 4 of the brides figured it out.

I think it's easier for everyone if it isn't a total surprise. The bride can wear what she wants and be prepared and those planning don't have to stress about keeping it a secret.
  • Options
    tstegertsteger member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Tell me ....
    I know when mine is.  I am helping with the planning.  I have been to so many recently where the girls dropped the ball in planning.  I am a planning person anyway.

If you knew were you glad? Did you have to put on your academy award face so the rest of the guests "thought" it was a total surprise?  As above.  I don't want mine to turn out like a few I've been to recently. 

Are showers even a surprise any longer?  I just went to one that was a suprise, she had no idea.  Cool, but I don't like suprises.

If you have an inkling yours is coming up tell me what you're going to do?  We are doing it at a restaurant in Suffern, Ravi's.  Lunch, Games, Gifts.  We are also doing my bachelorette that weekend because we have so many out of town guests. 

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I do know when my shower is- I helped my mom find the place!
    They are a little annoyed that I know (they being my family/bridal party) but I really just want to be a part of the fun!
    I absolutely HATE surprises!
    I have been in 6 bridal parties and 5 of the brides helped plan their own showers!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    MYLOVE315MYLOVE315 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    **DMonty**  .... That's so funny, my older sister who is my MOH made me swear NOT to let on I know!!!!....she said my other sister's would be pissed.

I told her when I threw my other sister's shower she made me promise what to tell her to wear and then she would know.  I don't like surprises either....I just want to look good and dress appropriately not like I'm doing the laundry so that's why I pushed to know <teehee />...

Altho I am feeling a bit like a control freak....double checking on who they invited ...they meaning my 2 MOH's my maid of honor is my niece & my matron of honor my sister....they were going to go over the guest list w/ me  before they sent out the invites one more time......she told me yesterday they were already sent out!  <arrgghhh /> Oh well.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    kristinanddankristinanddan member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Mine was supposed to be a surprise, but due to some scheduling issues I knew - I just never let on that I knew. It was a major pain in the butt to pretend I was surprised and all of that, but it made my mom and sister happy so whatever.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Mine is going to be a surprise up until that weekend. I personally did not want to help plan, unless they wanted me to. I'm a teacher so I'm constantly planning, plus with the wedding I feel like I'm on planning overload. I know I'll like whatever they do.
    Plus, my sister is having so much fun with it and refuses to let me know any specifics. I just know the invitations are ordered and the place is booked.
    I will find out the day before when my college roommates show up on my doorstep. I want them to stay at my house since I don't get to see them that often.
    Hopefully by then I'll have a dress to wear. I've been looking everywhere and I can't find anything!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My sister called me at work (and almost gave me a heart attack!) and made me tell her when my weekends off were so that they could plan it. I know it's on March 26 at my parents house. Definitely not a surprise. I'm the planner/decorator in the family so I've gotten calls from my mom and sister asking me how they should decorate. I don't want it to be an explosion of decorations from Dollar Tree so I don't have a problem taking that on.
  • Options
    MidgetteMidgette member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

No, it was a surprise. Thought I was going to a 50th Bday party. Well played family, and friends, until the very last min, when J was acting really weird n almost slipped in the 5 min car ride! LOL

Are showers even a surprise any longer? I think it depends on the group or person

What was your experience? I was dressed for a party, so its not like I looked like a mess so I was good to go lol

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_tell?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:113Discussion:04e25a7a-e8de-42b5-bd3f-c859fe13ea04Post:9042d492-01cc-46aa-8929-747a1f598d9d">Re: Do tell me....</a>:
    [QUOTE]**DMonty**  .... That's so funny, my older sister who is my MOH made me swear NOT to let on I know!!!!....she said my other sister's would be pissed. I told her when I threw my other sister's shower she made me promise what to tell her to wear and then she would know.  I don't like surprises either....I just want to look good and dress appropriately not like I'm doing the laundry so that's why I pushed to know <teehee />... Altho I am feeling a bit like a control freak....double checking on who they invited ...they meaning my 2 MOH's my maid of honor is my niece & my matron of honor my sister....they were going to go over the guest list w/ me  before they sent out the invites one more time......she told me yesterday they were already sent out!  <arrgghhh /> Oh well.
    Posted by MYLOVE315[/QUOTE]

<span style="line-height:115%;font-family:'Arial','sans-serif';color:#1f1f1f;font-size:10pt;">I wish someone would spill the beans to me!!!

My shower is a complete surprise and I am already freaking out. Not that I need to know the details b/c I really don't care what they do. I have 8 sisters and they all want a piece of the action, so me staying out of it is best idea, if I would like to keep my sanity. I just want to look appropriate for the occasion.

I am trying to get my niece who is my MOH to tell me what the deal is, but my sister who is my matron of honor, is ruling with an iron fist and threatened my niece’s life if she spoke. Now no one is talking and I am worried that I will look like crap the day of. My plan is to work on the weakest link first, who is one of my two nieces in the bridal party.</span><span style="line-height:115%;font-size:10pt;"></span>
  • Options
    ssagessage member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

It was a total surprise until we had to leave to get there....my mom was in charge of that and had a sort of lame reason to get me to the restaurant...but i blew that off...but then she kept harping on leaving but at the same time saying "oh, don't worry about it...she will wait...don't rush"...in the end, we were 1/2 hour late...The excuse was an out of town family friend wanted to take us to lunch...which is believable until i couldn't get why she would have us "meet" her at the restaurant and not come to the house...ps, she lives in Ohio and was at the shower.  And we were late b/c i assumed she was coming to the house and it wasn't so time sensitive LOL.  I played off like it was a surprise...I think they all believed me. 

Like i said, it was surprise until i figured it out right before...but the fact that my two OOT BMs were there and totally kept it from me...and that they came down the night before and stayed with my MOH...that was a surprise (in a sense) but all in all it was good and I think they believe it was a surprise.  And, had my mom not been her normal ridiculous self, it would have been 100%.

Are showers even a surprise any longer?

I think this depends on who is planning it and the bride to be honest.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_tell?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:113Discussion:04e25a7a-e8de-42b5-bd3f-c859fe13ea04Post:9042d492-01cc-46aa-8929-747a1f598d9d">Re: Do tell me....</a>:
    [QUOTE]**DMonty**  .... That's so funny, my older sister who is my MOH made me swear NOT to let on I know!!!!....she said my other sister's would be pissed. I told her when I threw my other sister's shower she made me promise what to tell her to wear and then she would know.  I don't like surprises either....I just want to look good and dress appropriately not like I'm doing the laundry so that's why I pushed to know <teehee />... Altho I am feeling a bit like a control freak....double checking on who they invited ...they meaning my 2 MOH's my maid of honor is my niece & my matron of honor my sister....they were going to go over the guest list w/ me  before they sent out the invites one more time......she told me yesterday they were already sent out!  <arrgghhh /> Oh well.
    Posted by MYLOVE315[/QUOTE]

***Another note- my MOH is totally into kareoke bars- I could JUST IMAGINE what she would have planned!  I just HAD to have my hand in it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Mine was not a surprise.  Nor did I want it to be.  Between other weddings and a BM graduating law school/studying for the bar we were limited in dates to begin with.  I much preferred knowing when it was.  I was there when guests arrived so I didn't have a grand entrance where I was "surprised".  I was happy to know and happy with the event.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards