Michigan-Detroit

After shot locations

I need help figuring out a location for our after shots which are included in our photography package. I like the downtown detroit idea but my fiance is not so keen on it...any suggestions ladies?? I love Cranbrook but I believe you have to have a certain photographer for them to allow you to shot pics there. Thanks

Re: After shot locations

• edited December 2011
    At the risk of sounding like a moron, what are after shots? Are they several days/weeks later?
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Ya they are done after the wedding at anytime instead of doing engagement shots you do pics of just you and the groom all dressed up. Its a way of not having to do so many posed pics on the actual wedding day.
  • edited December 2011
    LoL Booger - idk what they are either...
  • edited December 2011
    So, you get back into your wedding gown and he rents a tux and you go and take pics all over? I have never heard of that before. I would rather have the pics done on the wedding day to capture how we feel on that day. And if I'm paying money to get my hair and make up done for the wedding, I want as many pics as possible because it's not everyday you get your hair and make up done. Would you get your hair and make up done the following week?

Downtown Detroit would be fun. What is it that makes your FI not want to get pics there? There's a ton of areas like down by the Detroit River and on Woodward by Comerica.
  • edited December 2011
    We aren't having ours done until about a month after the wedding once we get back from our honeymoon...I will most likely get my makeup done and I'll be in my gown but he will just wear a suit probably. Its also called a trash the dress session. Alot of my girlfriends did them and they turn out gorgeous. You can do more interesting and artsy stuff. My photographer has even done some in laundrymats, bowling alleys, fields, out in the woods - she likes to use odd places. Some people even get into the water in their dresses because it doesnt matter once you have already worn the dress.

We will take pics of just us on the wedding day too but Im more of a fan of the candid shots on the wedding day. I like moments being captured versus alot of posing but I hate having my picture taken lol

My fiance said he doesnt want to be one of those people walking around Comerica park in a wedding dress but I told him he didnt have to worry since Im the one in the dress not him haha

I would prefer a beach setting since I wanted a destination wedding but there arent many pretty beaches in Detroit
  • edited December 2011
    Now it's all making sense. I know what trash the dress sessions are. I was just confused when you used the term "after shot locations." What if you try a park? I know that Kensington Metropark has some nice areas. The beaches are ok, not the greatest, but it is a beach. Also Island Lake in Brighton/South Lyon has a beach area as well. Those locations would make for great shots for a TTD session!
  • edited December 2011
    Ahhh, I've never heard of the trash the dress referred to as after shots that's why I was confused.

Are you looking for like sandy water beach or just water/outdoors shots? There's lots of nice parks, depending on what area you're in, that could be pretty. Also the riverfront in downtown Detroit would be a fabulous location.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • genahubbardgenahubbard member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I don't know how far it is for you, but Elizabeth Park in Trenton is a very popular site to take pics. You don't need a permit (I checked), they have 3 cool rustic bridges, a big water fountain and it's on the Detroit River so you have water there.

Have fun trashing that dress!

• edited December 2011
    My fiance and I are going to do this - I was thinking downtown Royal Oak...they have some cool buildings and parks close by. I thought getting pictures on the train tracks might be fun too and also at my old High School :0) Good luck - I know it will be so much fun for you!!!
  • edited December 2011
    Okay so if you wanna go to Cranbrook they do sell a permit for a fee, but my photographer friend who shoots engagement photos there ALL the time says that it's best to just "show up" and go and no one will bother you and you will save money :)
    cjae2 Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards