Michigan-Detroit
Options

Out of state gift question

hello all. I have a question for you ladies. What is the custom as far as wedding gifts are concerned? I am from New Jersey attending a wedding in Michigan. Here in New Jersey we always give money as a gift. From what I heard in other states an actual gift seems more the "normal." what would you say is normal in your neck of the woods? please help. Thank you!

Re: Out of state gift question

• Options
    emarston1emarston1 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It was pretty much even between cash gift and boxed gifts.  If you are used to giving money, then give money.

As a former bride, we were NEVER disappointed to see a check in the envelope :)
  • Options
    Amerz20Amerz20 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you!!! Very good to know. I just didn't want to be the only one not showing up with a present. Lol. I think I will do both. Some cash along with a nice crystal bowl or vase. Appreciate your quick response. ;)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yep, I think its a mix here.  I always give a physical gift, but you won't be out of the ordinary by giving cash.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think it depends on your social circle. We always give money, but a wedding I went to last year almost all the gifts were actual gifts. If you're used to giving money, then I would do that. Especially if you're flying - bringig a gift might be a hassle.
  • Options
    Meegles4Meegles4 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I think money is pretty common here. I'm not from Michigan and my extended family is from Nebraska and it seems they're all about the gifts. I was too until I started dating my FI and he strictly gives money for the wedding, as does his family. In fact, my FMIL told me to expect money, not gifts, from their family for the wedding.
    Items for sale & Detroit vendor Reviews:
    www.detroitwedding.weebly.com
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    jolla92126jolla92126 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If giving a gift, consider having it shipped to their house so they don't have to transport it from the reception.
  • Options
    larzhopelarzhope member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think this is more a cultural thing - I'm Italian and we almost never given phsyical presents @ the wedding.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards