Michigan-Detroit

Confessions/Vents

Re: Confessions/Vents

• Confession:  I was reading "The 7 Must Haves on Your Wedding Day" and I have no idea what blotting paper is and why I would need it to "sparkle not shine."  

Vent:  One of our credit cards gave us an offer of buy one round trip flight at full price and two companions fly for $99.  We offered this to one of the GM and his wife since they live in Phoenix and FI could fly from Phoenix instead of Yuma.  We have to purchase the tickets by 4/30.  I understand it isn't even the beginning of April yet.  However, we do not see these friends all of the time and we have to book on the phone.  To further complicate it I will be flying out before FI but want to fly back with him and our friends.  We cannot book my flight until we can book their flight and he doesn't want to pressure them into booking.  They have already said they wanted to and we figured out the dates, GM just needs to confirm with his boss.  Normally I would say booking last minute would give us better deals but when we are trying to coordinate a flight back together I am afraid there won't be any seats and I won't get to fly back with my new husband.  I just want to book the flights and have one less thing to worry about!  Unfortunately, I know I will not win this one and so just need to sit back and let him deal with it, grrr.....
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • In Response to Re:Confessions/Vents:[QUOTE]Confession: nbsp;I was reading "The 7 Must Haves on Your Wedding Day" and I have no idea what blotting paper is and why I would need it to "sparkle not shine." nbsp;Vent: nbsp;One of our credit cards gave us an offer of buy one round trip flight at full price and two companions fly for 99. nbsp;We offered this to one of the GM and his wife since they live in Phoenix and FI could fly from Phoenix instead of Yuma. nbsp;We have to purchase the tickets by 4/30. nbsp;I understand it isn't even the beginning of April yet. nbsp;However, we do not see these friends all of the time and we have to book on the phone. nbsp;To further complicate it I will be flying out before FI but want to fly back with him and our friends. nbsp;We cannot book my flight until we can book their flight and he doesn't want to pressure them into booking. nbsp;They have already said they wanted to and we figured out the dates, GM just needs to confirm with his boss. nbsp;Normally I would say booking last minute would give us better deals but when we are trying to coordinate a flight back together I am afraid there won't be any seats and I won't get to fly back with my new husband. nbsp;I just want to book the flights and have one less thing to worry about! nbsp;Unfortunately, I know I will not win this one and so just need to sit back and let him deal with it, grrr..... Posted by mlynn1223[/QUOTE]

I think blotting paper are those sheets that you use to absorb the oil from your face.
  • Hmmm. I guess my confession is that I'm maybe starting to get a little overwhelmed with the whole wedding planning business. I've been pretty laid back up to this point, but with 50+ things still on the checklist and 17 days to go, I'm kinda nervous. All of those things are in process of being completed, but I really hate being in the middle of things. I'd just like to check things off completely!
    Items for sale & Detroit vendor Reviews:
    www.detroitwedding.weebly.com
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Confession/Vent:

I'm feeling really disillusioned about my running program.  I started the C25K program back in November, and I'm really loving it.  I'm not making nearly the sort of progress they suggest, since I started off in such bad shape that I couldn't job for 1 minute straight.  Oh, and because there've been about 6 weeks total between Nov. and now when I was too sick to run.  So I'm only advancing at the rate of about 1 week of the program per month.  :P  But I'm making progress, and I was feeling really great about that.  I'm at the point where I'm doing about 2.25 miles three or four times a week, at 5 min. run/3 min. walk interval level.  I was starting to feel like this was too easy, and to move on to the next week's program, when...

The weather changed.

Now it's like I've never run in my life.  The comfortable pace that I used to run in the snow is now leaving me gasping for air, unable to catch my breath.  And my body feels like it weighs a million pounds.  It's like trying to drag a sofa along with me as I run.  It was the fact that I was always improving that was keeping me motivated to get out the door and run in the morning, and now I feel like a 20-degree temp. shift was all it took to put me back to the starting line.  :(
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_confessionsvents-84?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:88Discussion:58165547-4fd1-49d5-a796-a1807f14e7d4Post:67955873-d289-4132-8a43-0dfdc5dd9ae3">Re:Confessions/Vents</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Confessions/Vents: I think blotting paper are those sheets that you use to absorb the oil from your face.
    Posted by vk2204[/QUOTE]

Correct.  And anyone who doesn't even know what they are wins eternal enmity from me and my disgustingly greasy face.  ;)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_confessionsvents-84?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:88Discussion:58165547-4fd1-49d5-a796-a1807f14e7d4Post:354b81e6-122a-4177-9da8-59ed2fc597fd">Re: Confessions/Vents</a>:
    [QUOTE]Confession:  I was reading "The 7 Must Haves on Your Wedding Day" and I have no idea what blotting paper is and why I would need it to "sparkle not shine."  [/QUOTE]

<div>Confession: I got through my wedding day without blotting paper.  ;)</div>
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Vent: This past weekend FI and I went to a drinking game party where I had one drink and he had like 10. I knew he had too freakin' much alcohol but I thought he was okay when we left. It was a 20 minute drive home and about halfway home we hit a stoplight and he throws open my car door and starts vomitting. He ended up getting vomit all over my car as well. When I got home he went inside to clean himself up and then I got to be outside till 4am cleaning my car so it wouldn't REEK the next day.

To top things off, when I FINALLY get done cleaning my car (and spraying an entire bottle of febreeze all over), all I wanted to do was go to bed. FI was already asleep and snoring LOUDLY. I tried to turn him over so he'd stop snoring and he was just a bunch of dead weight. So on top of cleaning up his mess, I got to sleep on the couch for the night just so I COULD sleep.

The weekend is the ONE time I get the chance to get a "good" nights sleep and it was ruined. I'm always so tired during the week that I "catch up" on the weekend and it really pisses me off that an entire night of sleep was ruined. I woke up sore and stiff the next day too.

Confession: I am still pissed about this but trying to pretend I'm not so he doesn't think I'm holidng a grudge.
  • MMRoberts11MMRoberts11 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited March 2012
    I'm kinda tired at looking at houses.  I'm not sure if we can get the mortgage now since I got cut down to part time and am looking for another job in a semi-different field.  So I kinda don't want to fill out all the info just to get turned down and find out we have to wait until I've been employed longer.  Plus we're not sure where I'll be working exactly so the exact location of the house is difficult to pin down.  Ugh... I guess we just need to make a decision and go with it.  After what happened with my neighbors this weekend I'm so ready to move.

ETA: I have a new one.  My mom is driving me insane.  She saw the shower list I sent her (her and my FMIL are the hosts) and called me saying other people should be on it.  Apparently she thinks my grandma's siblings should be invited even though they are not invited to the wedding nor will they be added to the guest list.  I told her I didn't like the idea and it would come across as gift grabby but she was more concerned about us seeing them at christmas and having to explain why they weren't invited.  Maybe it's just me, but for some reason I can't get her to understand that they will be more mad if they spend money on a shower gift than if they are just left out completely.
  • I really don't like my job but anything else I can find is minimum wage so it's not worth quitting.
  • Vent: I'm co-hosting a pure romance party on Friday, and the other host and I went shopping last night for food/drinks for the party. I ended up spending over 100 bucks of stuff, while the only thing my friend dished out money on was a bottle of margarita mix. I'm annoyed because not only am I allowing us to do it at my house, I have to prepare everything, I bought everything, and 85% of the guest list is hers. :-\

Confession: I'm too much of a pushover to stand up for myself, so I end up doing all the stuff I don't want to for this party, and complain over the internet.
    Follow Me on Pinterest Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited March 2012
    Confession & Vent:  I think terrible thoughts about FFIL and FMIL.  They have not made our relationship easy and now that they know there is a house and a wedding date they are even worse.  They refer to me as "that woman" and not by my name and tell FI that we will fail in our marriage and house.  They have no pride in their son, are miserable people, and they absolutely disgust me.  His father broke his leg back in october and since his mother is allegedly unable to take care of the house FI has been doing everything.  They thank him for nothing, badger him over everything, and in my opinion are severely bent people.

I know what I signed up for, I knew that they were difficult, socially inept people, but this has escalated into something I never imagined.  Now FI and I are fighting more and more because of them.  He says I'm marrying him not them.  Yeah but they come with him and will always be there trying to sabotage everything.  I think they will try to ruin either the house or wedding or both.  FI of course says not to worry but how can I not.  I know things will be different when he's out of that house because things were drastically different this weekend when we went away to Traverse City. It was absolutely effortless when we were together this weekend.   But I'm concerned about the damage that could be done to our relationship until he moves out.  They are toxic people and I don't wonder anymore why the rest of their family members want nothing to do with them.

I'm just sad, this is supposed to be such a happy time in our lives and they make it so we can't be.  I don't know what to do, we got into a huge blow out fight last night and he has never raised his voice to me like that before.  I know he is frustrated and is getting it on both sides.  He keeps stuff in, says nothing and then explodes and I typically catch the brunt of it.  But am I not allowed to talk to him about how I feel about the situation?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_confessionsvents-84?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:88Discussion:58165547-4fd1-49d5-a796-a1807f14e7d4Post:c3b0db4e-90cf-49a8-8fb0-4a78a151dd08">Re: Confessions/Vents</a>:
    [QUOTE]Confession & Vent:  I think terrible thoughts about FFIL and FMIL.  They have not made our relationship easy and now that they know there is a house and a wedding date they are even worse....  They refer to me as "that woman" and not by my name and tell FI that we will fail in our marriage and house.   I don't know what to do, we got into a huge blow out fight last night and he has never raised his voice to me like that before.  I know he is frustrated and is getting it on both sides.  He keeps stuff in, says nothing and then explodes and I typically catch the brunt of it.  But am I not allowed to talk to him about how I feel about the situation?
    Posted by getintheboxx[/QUOTE]

There is a long answer to this question, and it involves a lot of being gracious and having to be the bigger person because you love you husband and are required to put some effort in so as not to make his life harder than it already is. 

HOWEVER...

There are limits.  You are required to put up with passive-aggressive comments.  You are required to put up with occasional offhand remarks about your homemaking skills.  You are NOT required to put up with being called "that woman," either to your face or to your husband's face when you are absent.

Your FI owes you the respect and courtesy to refuse to allow his parents to speak to/about you as if you are a piece of dirt.  And if he refuses to stand up for you like that, I wouldn't be marrying him until he did.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • PhoneCardLadyPhoneCardLady member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited March 2012
    Confession - it's now T-minus 27 hours until Dan and I FINALLY go on a trip!
  • Vent:
    This weather is kicking my butt. I can't breathe, I've lost my voice and I just look completely horrible(puffy eyes, runny nose, hacking cough) Oh yeah...I'm feeling sexy. 

Confession:
    Even though I'm looking like a beast right now, FI still told me I'm completely gorgeous. I know he was lying to my face because I have seen myself in a mirror today but it still made me feel better. I love that man. :) 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_confessionsvents-84?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:88Discussion:58165547-4fd1-49d5-a796-a1807f14e7d4Post:c7cbdc45-5f25-461d-a316-2d12b8db04a2">Re: Confessions/Vents</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Confessions/Vents : There is a long answer to this question, and it involves a lot of being gracious and having to be the bigger person because you love you husband and are required to put some effort in so as not to make his life harder than it already is.  HOWEVER... There are limits.  You are required to put up with passive-aggressive comments.  You are required to put up with occasional offhand remarks about your homemaking skills.  You are NOT required to put up with being called "that woman," either to your face or to your husband's face when you are absent. Your FI owes you the respect and courtesy to refuse to allow his parents to speak to/about you as if you are a piece of dirt.  And if he refuses to stand up for you like that, I wouldn't be marrying him until he did.
    Posted by matuofm[/QUOTE]

I am going to work on biting my tongue with things because it gets us nowhere.   He does defend me/us all the time, it does nothing but end the conversation because they don't have a leg to stand on. But once they think of something new to complain about it all starts up again because they are grasping at straws.  What they think is right, everyone else is wrong.  His mother came up with the brilliant thought that if we got a $150,000 house that we would end up paying half a million for it because of interest rates.  Yes people this is the dumb we deal with.  They are so detached with reality.

They are just beside themselves because he didn't ask for their opinion on marrying me, my ring, or the house.  Why would he, he is an adult and they crap all over everything anyway.  For example:  His father didn't speak to him for over a week because he went out and bought a car with his own money and didn't consult his dad on it to get his approval.

You unfortunately can't pick your parents and his relationship has changed with them dramatically.  They don't speak unless they need him to do something or to bash us. And that was going on before the engagement and house. 

I know I just need to suck it up and hope they are done with our home sooner than later.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_confessionsvents-84?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:88Discussion:58165547-4fd1-49d5-a796-a1807f14e7d4Post:b54ef2e1-1202-43d8-abcb-710af750c87b">Re: Confessions/Vents</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Confessions/Vents : I am going to work on biting my tongue with things because it gets us nowhere.   He does defend me/us all the time, it does nothing but end the conversation because they don't have a leg to stand on. But once they think of something new to complain about it all starts up again because they are grasping at straws.  What they think is right, everyone else is wrong.  His mother came up with the brilliant thought that if we got a $150,000 house that we would end up paying half a million for it because of interest rates.  Yes people this is the dumb we deal with.  They are so detached with reality. They are just beside themselves because he didn't ask for their opinion on marrying me, my ring, or the house.  Why would he, he is an adult and they crap all over everything anyway.  For example:  His father didn't speak to him for over a week because he went out and bought a car with his own money and didn't consult his dad on it to get his approval. You unfortunately can't pick your parents and his relationship has changed with them dramatically.  They don't speak unless they need him to do something or to bash us. And that was going on before the engagement and house.  I know I just need to suck it up and hope they are done with our home sooner than later.
    Posted by getintheboxx[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>It might be helpful for you and your FI to go to marriage counselling through a professional (not those one-day workshop things).  It sounds like his parents have serious boundary issues, and it will only help if you two learn together how to set boundaries for your own happiness.  Plus, it will help your FI see your side of things in a constructive way, rather than just viewing you as someone who is complaining.  Hang in there though...it sounds like a really tough situation.  </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_confessionsvents-84?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:88Discussion:58165547-4fd1-49d5-a796-a1807f14e7d4Post:3dfec5bd-7cd2-4b71-abc9-0f6a44518ad7">Re:Confessions/Vents</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Confessions/Vents : Correct.  And anyone who doesn't even know what they are wins eternal enmity from me and my disgustingly greasy face.  ;)
    Posted by matuofm[/QUOTE]

<div>I suffer from the opposite, very DRY face, not sure which is better.  I will pick some up though just incase I sweat since it is outside.  Thanks!!</div>
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Confession: I fight the urge to elope every day.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards