Michigan-Detroit
Options

Suggestions for Northern Michigan honeymoon?

So FI and I have decided to save a ton of money by honeymooning up north. We took a vacation to St.Ignace last year, and absolutely LOVED the little inn on the beach we stayed at. So we're thinking of spending the first 3-4 nights there, hanging around St. Ignace and going to Mackinaw Island for a day (staying on the island is soooo expensive). From there, we were thinking about maybe going up to Tahquamenon falls for a night or two or three (they have cabins in the state park for $70/night with a minimum of 2 nights). We've never been up there, but it looks really pretty. We were also thinking of perhaps going up to Pictured Rocks? We went there last summer, but were only there for like an hour on our way to Marquette...

So anyway, what do you all think of that? Do you have any suggestions for other destinations near that area? We for sure want to go to St. Ignace and spend a day on Mackinaw, but we're pretty open to the rest. We are outdoorsy type people and just want something relaxing :) We'd like to be gone for about a week.

Thanks for any input!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Created by Wedding Favors

Wedding Planning and DIY bio Updated 05/15/12
image 167 Made the list
image 115 Accept
image 46 Decline
image 6 Not ready to decide
RSVP deadline: June 8

Re: Suggestions for Northern Michigan honeymoon?

• Options
    mirandall28mirandall28 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think all of that sounds like a great idea! Tahquamenon and Pictured Rocks sound like really good suggestions too. I've always wanted to kayak the Pictured Rocks. If you both are outdoorsy types than the whole UP is basically your playground! :)
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That sounds awesome! I love northern Michigan.  The hubby and I just did a mini-moon to Mackinaw Island less than 2 weeks ago.

Although the island is indeed expensive we stayed 2 nights at the Island House Hotel with their Romantic Retreat package. It was about $900 (including tax) for a 2 night stay that included champagne and strawberries, 2 dinners at an amazing restaurant, 2 breakfasts, a lunch, fudge, a private carriage tour of the island, and ferry tickets and parking in the city.

It was so worth it and considering how expensive the island is it's a pretty sweet deal.  And depending on when you're thinking of going you could do it for as low as $650.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh...also if you don't mind doing some camping, there is a really nice KOA campground in Petosky that has cabins.  And Petosky itself is a really awesome little town.  You might want to consider Traverse City, too and then you could do some really awesome winery tours. :)
  • Options
    vk2204vk2204 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    If you are feeling really outdoorsy you could always do a backpacking trip! My FI and I backpacked Isle Royale a few years ago and it was honestly one of the best times I have ever had. They also have a cabin/hotel to stay in if you do not want to hike the whole island.
  • Options
    MMRoberts11MMRoberts11 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love the UP!  I don't have suggestions about hotels or anything since I always just camp at state parks but Pictured Rocks are great.  If you are up to it, I suggest kayaking near them.  It's SO much fun and you can do guided tours if you want.  There is also a glass bottom boat tour where you can see some of the shipwrecks in the area.

Tahquamenon falls are always nice to see. 

Also, if you like hiking the Porcupine mountains are a great area and then there is aways Copper Harbor which is a great historical point and has some great views.
  • Options
    Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011

I agree, Petoskey is an adorable town. We stayed at the Stafford Inn there, right near the water and there is a dock you can sit on at night, really pretty.

A few years ago we went on a trip and went to Taquamanon Falls, then north all the way up to Whitefish Point, there's a museum there about the Edmund Fitzgerald.

You are right, staying on Mackinac Island is expensive, but you might want to do a google search for a B&B which would cost less, but allow you to stay overnight.

Good luck. Always love traveling Michigan!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards