Bridesmaids Gifts.

Ok, this is what I have so far.

Tote bag
Stainless steel water bottle thing
Flip Flops
A clutch
Tissue with their initals
Mints

Im thinking of getting them a braclet too. Is that enough?
Daisypath Wedding tickers
200image 167image 32image 1image RSVP Date: May 1st

Re: Bridesmaids Gifts.

• Options
    I think that sounds really nice.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    That sounds very nice! I was going to do a cute robe to wear the day of, a mani kit, decorative wine glass, plus some other things but just changed my mind the other day! I kept seeing people on the forums suggest shopping for bridesmaids as if it's their birthday and I love that idea! Luckily I didn't have anything purchased yet. To stay on budget I'm shopping for 1 girl a month (I have eight). I'm getting whatever I think they'd like - books, DVDs (one girl loves Mr. Bean so she's getting the complete collection as part of her gift ;-) ), t-shirts, etc. it's fun!
  • Options
    Sounds great! I'm at a total loss for ideas.
    Items for sale & Detroit vendor Reviews:
    www.detroitwedding.weebly.com
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I think that's definitely enough.  It's not like it's Christmas, after all.  I got my party one monogrammed item each.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I think as long as you're paying for hair/makeup/shoes than that is really cute!!  I'm doing a similar package but instead of a bracelet I'm doing diamond initial pendants from Tapper's...I don't want them to wear them on the day of the wedding but it's a cute addition!

I like the idea of giving them all the same kind of stuff as opposed to the "birthday" idea.  It's hard enough to shop for their birthday each year - may as well make this all about being a bridesmaid while you can!  It's also another way of feeling like a clan...like they all got the same goodies and can gab about how much they love the swag they got in common.  The initialed items personalize it enough in my opinion.
  • Options
    That sounds like more than enough. For my girls, I was getting them their jewlery to wear the day of. I found this website that has a store located in South Carolina that makes all of their jewlery with crystals and pearls. They send you samples of the crystals/pearls if you need to check on the colors. I was also going to get them their clutch and flip-flops to match their dress which I am going to possibly glam up.

The website in case if anyone is wondering is:
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_bridesmaids-gifts-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:88Discussion:60e60274-b83b-4cb8-b0a2-29c35b6d437dPost:5e3afdb3-d1f1-4e69-91e7-2f5b4208eee2">Re: Bridesmaids Gifts.</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>I think as long as you're paying for hair/makeup/shoes than that is really cute!!</strong>  I'm doing a similar package but instead of a bracelet I'm doing diamond initial pendants from Tapper's...I don't want them to wear them on the day of the wedding but it's a cute addition! I like the idea of giving them all the same kind of stuff as opposed to the "birthday" idea.  It's hard enough to shop for their birthday each year - may as well make this all about being a bridesmaid while you can!  It's also another way of feeling like a clan...like they all got the same goodies and can gab about how much they love the swag they got in common.  The initialed items personalize it enough in my opinion.
    Posted by MrsGilliatt[/QUOTE]

Hate to thread jack, but I really don't agree with the fact that she (or any bride) should have to pay for hair, make-up and shoes. I'm not! I told my girls hair and make-up are not required. Most are having their hair done, but that's their choice and they're paying for it. None are having make-up done and that's fine. As for shoes, that IS a nice gesture if you're requiring your BM to wear a certain shoe. In our case, I wanted them to wear a certain color, but didn't want to dictate the style so I told them they can pick out whatever shoe they want and pay. In this case, they also have control over how much they spend -- don't care if they're Payless or Loubotin's.

The OP is giving a lovely thank you gift and I really don't think she's required to do more than that unless she's really dictating they look a certain way as far as hair, etc. are concerned (and I don't think she is).
    Items for sale & Detroit vendor Reviews:
    www.detroitwedding.weebly.com
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I made my girls jewelry with pearl and crystal (earrings & necklace or bracelet), made them a hair flower, personalized tote bags embrodered with their name, a fabric flower pin to attached to the tote, flip flops, made momogrammed wine glass, getting ready robe for the day of and a DIY bridesmaid "survival kit" with bobby pins, safety pins, nail file, tissues, tiny bottle of wine :), comb, hairspray, gum, q-tips...etc. in a cute cosmetic bag. I spent about $50 on each of them.

I think what you are getting them is perfect :)
  • Options
    I am not paying for their hair and makeup! Its not like its a requirment to be in the wedding...and to be honest they dont expect me to either. Ive been in at least 5 weddings and no one ever paid for my hair or makeup. Also I think I read someone on here, that buying them something they are using in the wedding isnt considered a gift. Like shoes, hair pieces, make up & hair.

Thanks Ladies.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_bridesmaids-gifts-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:88Discussion:60e60274-b83b-4cb8-b0a2-29c35b6d437dPost:a4e00da2-d219-43ad-ade3-aa594029efbf">Re: Bridesmaids Gifts.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am not paying for their hair and makeup! Its not like its a requirment to be in the wedding...and to be honest they dont expect me to either. Ive been in at least 5 weddings and no one ever paid for my hair or makeup. Also I think I read someone on here, that buying them something they are using in the wedding isnt considered a gift. Like shoes, hair pieces, make up & hair. Thanks Ladies.
    Posted by missmelanie81[/QUOTE]
    Totally agree!  I've been in 3 weddings, and have friends who have been in several as well, and NEVER heard of the bride paying for hair and/or makeup.  I think what you're doing is completely fine!  I've also gotten jewelry for the day of the wedding for every single one of those weddings I was in as my gift for being a bridesmaid :)  I think you're golden!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I think you should only offer to pay for hair/make-up when you require it. If you give them the option, I think it's perfectly ok to not pay.

I was thinking of treating my bridesmaids to a spa day instead of giving a keepsake. I think it's more important to give a memory instead of something they may not use or like. Anyone do anything like this before?
    Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Anniversary
  • Options
    I am going to take my girls out for dinner to give them their gifts. Instead of doing it at the RD. We all love mongolian BBQ...so we are gonna have a girls night out. A couple of my bridesmaids are either under 21 or dont drink/party so they wont be attending my bacholarette party...so this is a nice way to have everyone together.
  • Options
    I think what you have is plenty. I got my girls:

A stationary set
    A personalized makeup bag
    A mani set
    Hand Sanitizer (it was on sale- and I put it in the bag)

I MAY get them a personalized water bottle or coffee mug if I can find any on sale.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    You all have such great ideas and some I had never heard of!  I have been in one wedding, my sisters.  I only went to three others and two I was younger so have no idea what was done with gifts.  I am paying for their hair because I want it up.  Make-up is up to them.  They are invited to the spa day but have to pay for themselves.  I bought them the jewelry for the day, monogramed yoga bags and individual yoga mats that fit their personalities.  All of my ladies are fitness enthusiasts and enjoy yoga so I thought it would work for them.  I felt this was good but hearing what everybody else does I am now wondering if it is to little.  
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I think all that, with the bracelet, is a lovely gift. I did something similar for my own: I gave them a tote filled with shoes, a t-shirt, a couple of things I thought they would love, and bath/body stuff for each (plus a heartfelt note). My MOH also got a handmade afghan for being such a wonderful friend.

I'm a little surprised sometimes at the attitude of brides who don't think they should do much for their wedding party. I wished I could have done more. These women gave up so much time, money, and energy to help make my day even more special. The least I can do is let them know I appreciate them in a meaningful way.

And it's not about money or how much you spend - something simple and heartfelt will do. But having been in a wedding and having been married myself, I know the work my friends and I put into supporting each other, and I think it's awesome when women go to the trouble to show their appreciation.
  • Options
    From MarissaY
    "I'm a little surprised sometimes at the attitude of brides who don't think they should do much for their wedding party. I wished I could have done more. These women gave up so much time, money, and energy to help make my day even more special. The least I can do is let them know I appreciate them in a meaningful way."

This is my sentiment exactly!!!  You are spot on.  I have been in a few weddings before, and you know as a bridal party member you too want to look great without taking the spotlight from the bride.  As a bridesmaid you have every right to get your hair and makeup done - and look your best.  That said - I wanted my bridal party to be spoiled rotten - and look and feel their best.  Paying for their hair and makeup is required if you want them to have it done - I agree.  But if you don't even offer to do this for them it's kind of weird in my opinion.  I've never been to a wedding, let alone been in a wedding where I didn't at least get my hair blown out or done.  If you're not even offering you're kind of not giving them the option.  They do so very much - beyond just the showers and the dress fittings and parties - but with dealing with every little detail and phone call when you need someone to talk to.  It's just a nice gesture on top of whatever gift you give - to make them feel that much more validated. 

You can disagree with a bride "having to pay for hair and makeup" all you want - but I can guarantee you my bridesmaids are much more excited knowing they'll get to feel like a princess on my wedding day - than a bridesmaid who isn't even extended the courtesy.  I'll be paying for their shoes as an added bonus - I don't think you have to pay for shoes, but you have every right to dictate shoes the way you do their dress.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards