Michigan-Detroit

Make up advice

I am getting married Sept 16, which is a Sunday. Most days I wear no makeup, on special days a tinted moisturizer and mascara.  I don't know what to do about make up for my wedding. I don't want to look like a totaly different person. Any recommendations?  I live in the western suburbs. And can someone fill me in on airbrushing vs regular make up? Thanks.
Wedding Countdown Ticker 129image 102image 24image

Re: Make up advice

• vk2204vk2204 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I am like you, I don't ever wear make up. I have heard wonderful things about airbrush though; very natural and light, so that is what I am planning on doing. You can get a trial done to make sure you like it. Other than that I am no help.
  • I don't wear make-up, but I had mine professionally done. I didn't do airbrush, and the traditional make-up lasted just fine. I definitely looked a little different than I usually do, but that was OK because I looked pretty dang hot!

I personally recommend having someone do it and agree doing a trial is a good way to gauge things.
    Items for sale & Detroit vendor Reviews:
    www.detroitwedding.weebly.com
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Definately a trial makeup will help you decide.  Make sure you let the makeup artist know that you don't usually wear makeup so that she doesn't go all wild on you.

In regards to regular vs. air-brush.  Air-brush has  a more natural look to it and is supposed to last longer in heat and humidity.  I am doing my trial nexe weekend and we're using air-brush makeup.  It's more expensive than regular but since I'm only getting married once I wanted to splurge.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am like you and not a huge fan of makeup.  I had two trials and both left me feeling overly made up looking.  I went to Sephora after hearing that they do trials for $50, then give you a $50 gift card to use on products.  I had the absolute best experience there (12 Oaks Mall in Novi).  The girl and I worked together to build my look and she showed me how to do it myself.  I got married a few weeks ago and am so pleased with the way it all turned out from the photos.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_make-up-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:88Discussion:614fa924-aa45-42a2-b9df-4ed6b75384c2Post:fdc0dda4-87d8-4af0-86ba-4229cbb01fac">Re: Make up advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am like you and not a huge fan of makeup.  I had two trials and both left me feeling overly made up looking.  I went to Sephora after hearing that they do trials for $50, then give you a $50 gift card to use on products.  I had the absolute best experience there (12 Oaks Mall in Novi).  The girl and I worked together to build my look and she showed me how to do it myself.  I got married a few weeks ago and am so pleased with the way it all turned out from the photos.
    Posted by AmyNoelle[/QUOTE]

Who did you use at Sephora?
  • mpicklmpickl member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    I was going back and forth about airbrushing vs regular makeup (I knew I would have a makeup artist either way). I eventually chose regular makeup because I didn't feel that airbrushing was worth the extra cost. I also read that, if the makeup smudges or gets messed up in any way, it is nearly impossible to fix without having to redo your whole face (note, this is just what I have read, and I cannot speak from personal experience on this one!).

I went into Sephora after reading about Make Up For Ever HD. I spoke with the salesgirl there and a Make Up For Ever rep that happened to be there that day. Apparently this is the closest they sell to professional make up kits (like the ones used for movie stars and photo shoots), covers well, lasts a long time, and looks good in photographs. I was advised to stay away from makeups with sunscreen in them or any mineral makeup because neither photographs well.

I'm planning on purchasing a Make Up For Ever HD (linked) kit for $80, so I will have the makeup for the many other photo ops between now and our wedding. And I plan on going to get the makeup tril the day of my engagement photos in September.

Last thing: while I was in Sephora the rep matched me with a shade, and also showed me the tinted foundation you can mix to create a different shade if I am more tan on my wedding day than I am now. I thought this was pretty ingenious, since I wasn't about to shell out another $40 per foundation as the shade of my skin changes.

Sorry this got so long! I spent a week researching and deciding on makeup, so I am very passionate about this topic!!  :)   Good luck! I'm sure you will look beautiful whatever you choose to do!
     Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_make-up-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:88Discussion:614fa924-aa45-42a2-b9df-4ed6b75384c2Post:c581e860-111c-4173-9b08-2d166ab58284">Re: Make up advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was going back and forth about airbrushing vs regular makeup (I knew I would have a makeup artist either way)....
    Sorry this got so long! I spent a week researching and deciding on makeup, so I am very passionate about this topic!!  :)   Good luck! I'm sure you will look beautiful whatever you choose to do!
    Posted by mpickl[/QUOTE]

Thanks, that was interesting. I wasn't familar with this makeup. I'll have to pop into Sephora and check it out.
  • I third Sephora, I've got a trial with them on Monday and plan to just purchase my own makeup. I can't justify spending the money to have a pro do it, especially because I know a little about makeup already. I'd rather purchase the makeup and be able to do it as much as I want after the wedding.
  • I had my makeup done professionally and I am glad I paid. I wear eye makeup everyday mostly but I have clear skin and freckles so I never wear foundation or coverup and i still had the airbrushing. It makes the bigger difference for your photos because pro-makeup people are great at highlighting the appropriate areas and ensuring you're not shinny or greasy. I got a trial done at sephora at somerset- I didn't pay upfront and I am not even sure they would have enforced the $50 spending request but I did anyways because I liked their stuff! Try to schedule the trial around another event like your shower, bach party, another wedding you are attending so that your pretty makeup has a secondary purpose!
  • OK, I scheduled an appointment at Sephora for TOMORROW!  Kinda excited to see what they recommend.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards