Michigan-Detroit
Options

Ceremony and Reception location help

Hello!

Does anyone have feedback on places to hold both a ceremony and reception? My fiance and me are different religions so a church is out of the picture so hold both the ceremony and reception at the sae place would be nice.  I so far has looked at Wellers and Weber's any feedback on either one of those.

I work at a hotel in Ann Arbor so I am numbered to the places I can go, and I would prefer to not get married where I work.

I am thinking a summer wedding also so I am trying to plan around the bigger conventions that I know come to the area ever year to so my out of town guests don't have to pay crazy high rates.

Re: Ceremony and Reception location help

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Does it have to be at a hotel? Why are you limited to the number of places you are allowed to go? If you have your wedding at a golf course, you can do an outside ceremony and then the inside would be set up for the reception. Also, if your reception site is close to some hotels, you can get the rooms at a discounted rate. It's worth checking into.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am limited because I want to have it at a hotel, but it doens't have to. I am open to having it wherever, I am thinking that having the ceremony is a bgetter idea so my guests can go to the reception area while I do pictures.  I am open, I have no plans set in stone at all.  I am just shopping around for now sinc eI have plenty of time.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Look into The Dearborn Inn. They have indoor and outdoor space for ceremonies and/or receptions. They have a few different ballrooms and they all are completely different. They have been awesome to work with as well :)
  • Options
    KRN726KRN726 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    How about Lovett hall at The Henry Ford? Much better than a chain hotel.
  • Options
    trifoxntrifoxn member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am getting married at the Whitney and having the reception there too. I am having the ceremony inside in front of the stained glass window because wei loved how the light came through so warm in the evening. We will be eating in the garden area and having dancing upstairs on the second floor. We have requested a bartender for the third floor for people who want to come later and just hang out at the Ghost Bar (they will not be counted in my guest list as they will not be there for dinner).  The photographer I am using said that she did a wedding there in March and it had so many great places to take pics at. It was a breeze to get taken care of and well within my price range. It was exactly what I wanted.
  • Options
    Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It would help to know how many people you are expecting to attend.

Our venue, Greenmead, is a historical park in Livonia. They have a non-demoninational chapel (no crosses or anything), and a venue on site. Both hold 100, but you can also have a tent.

http://www.ci.livonia.mi.us/tabid/189/Departments/Community%20Resources/Greenmead/NewburgIntersection.aspx

The rental cost for a non-resident of Livonia for both facilities would be about $1100.......... less without the chapel. You can hire your own caterer, bring in your own liquor.

Good luck.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Greenmead is really awesome, I almost booked there myself!  Very affordable too.

In the Ann Arbor area, I'd check out:

The U of M Union and League 
    Ann Arbor City Club 
    Matheai Botanical Gardens (can only accommodate fairly small weddings though)
    Earhart Manor at Concordia University

I know all those places can do both ceremony and reception, and are very nice!

Near Ann Arbor:

Waldenwoods in Hartland (SO pretty!  This was our second choice, we came very close to booking there)
    Longacre House in Farmington (really cool old house)

Bit further away, but still worth checking out:

Heather's Club in Bloomfield Hills (where I ended up booking - SO nice and surprisingly affordable!)
    Groose Point War Memorial
    Cranbrook
    Garden Park of Holly

Good luck!  This is the hardest part.  If you have any questions about these places, feel free to page me. 
  • Options
    ms nobodyms nobody member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_ceremony-reception-location?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:88Discussion:65b30043-8877-4836-8ace-1eebff517908Post:9074cde7-3cd0-45a3-ae4b-1d6d563b0985">Ceremony and Reception location help</a>:
    [QUOTE]  I so far has looked at Wellers and Weber's any feedback on either one of those. I work at a hotel in Ann Arbor so I am numbered to the places I can go, and I would prefer to not get married where I work. I am thinking a summer wedding also so I am trying to plan around the bigger conventions that I know come to the area ever year to so my out of town guests don't have to pay crazy high rates.
    Posted by kringel[/QUOTE]
    Ok. I'm having my reception at Webers in ... omg 16 days. lol
    I really like  Webers. Yes there are always things i would love to change, but any strange issues/cross communications we have will not carry into the wedding day because it's just a erally well run place with such a great repuation (for a reason). Their hotel prices are a bit higher than i would like, but it's nice. The Clarion across the street is nice, i think it was recently remodeled, and they have much better prices for hotel rooms.  I blocke doff rooms at both hotels, and most of my guests booked at the clarion.

Webers has probably the lowest minimum in the area (6500) for the room i'm using. They have the in house pastry chef, and add the cost of the cake to theminimum, which is helpful if you're having a smaller affair. Plus their food is well known and better than most i've ever had.

I'm having my ceremony at the Michigan Union. it's super cheap (like 250) for 5 hours. the Michigan League is also an option and has comparable pricing for ceremony room rental. The league has a hotel across the street, so that is alays an option.

I've heard good things about Wellers, but i've never been there.

ETA: A2 city club has a great rep too, it's a very nice space!
    IMO the botanical gardens aren't worth the trouble and cost. but that's just me, and i didnt particularly care to have an outdoor wedding no matter how nice itis outside lol.

It's hard being an ann arbor bride on these boards sometimes since most people give east side/suburb recs, so if you need any help let me know! :)
    Bio Update 4.25.10
    imageimage
    Amanda Williams Photography
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards