Michigan-Detroit
Options

HELP! wedding mind block

I just started planning my wedding but I need some help because I find myself at a brick wall. I was thinking about a fall wedding 2012..reds, burnt oranges, yellows, browns, and a deep purple. Is that too many colors? The only bad thing is..I LOVE the color Lilac but I can't incorporate that into a fall wedding. I figured a fall wedding would be the easiest for the menu since we are both 80% vegan/20% vegetarian. I wanted to make up some squash bisque in mini pumpkins, have a pie bar with apple, pumpkin, cherry, hot apple cider with rum, and so on. I just feel a fall menu is easier to disguse a vegetarian fare. So...should I move up my wedding to August 10th, 2012 to incorporate Lilac? our 4 year anniversary is on August 12th. If I move up the wedding we will have to figure out a whole new menu. Oh, we are having a draped tent in my moms large backyard--if that helps. I think I need to hire a wedding planner but I always imagined doing this on my own. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: HELP! wedding mind block

• Options
    edited December 2011
    First, while lilac is not a traditional fall color, I don't see a reason you couldn't incorporate it into a fall wedding.

If you disagree with that or don't want to use lilac in the fall, that's fine.  I wouldn't change my wedding date just to use a certain color, but you defnitely have plenty of time to do so.  An advantage to the August wedding is that the temperatures at night are a bit more reliable for a wedding reception than they are in October.  There have been several outdoor weddings on this board this month that have turned out great, but there have also already been some nights when it's 35 degrees, which would be pretty miserable for wedding guests.  You need a good backup plan or A LOT of heat lamps for an October outdoor wedding (seriously, I got invited to one a few years ago - it was 35 degrees, and everyone left early).

Finally - a wedding planner is not a necessity, but in the case you have, where it's at your house (so there is no on-site venue coordinator), it's definitely useful.  It also sort of sounds like you are planning to make the food on your own.  For a small wedding, this is do-able, but hard.  For a large wedding, I definitely wouldn't recommend it.
  • Options
    Meegles4Meegles4 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I think you could use all of those colors...really they're just shades of the same color family, so it works.

I also agree with Meg that you could incorporate lilac in a fall wedding. Also agree with her that an August or September wedding might be preferable weather-wise for an outdoor affair. It's really a crap shoot, so no matter what you'll want a back-up plan if you do it outside -- heat lamps in case of cold, tent in case of rain, etc.
    Items for sale & Detroit vendor Reviews:
    www.detroitwedding.weebly.com
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    KelseyBee812KelseyBee812 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you very much Ladies. I will have to do some thinking about the the temperature at night for the Wedding day. I just like the idea of October because no one in my familly has gotten married in that month. I don't think I will incorporate Lilac into a fall wedding if I have it. I was thinking Lilac, black, and white if I do it in August.
    Meg- I am not making all of the food, but I was thinking about it. I love to cook and they are pretty simple. I could just do it a few days before then freeze everything then put everything in the oven the day of. I have no idea. It's still awhile away so I get to decide how I want to do these things. Thank you very much for your help.
  • Options
    KelseyBee812KelseyBee812 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    okay I have another question haha my FI said I could get a pair of Louboutins for our special day :D should I get a short dress to showcase my fabulous shoes?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You could totally do a deep purple and lilac theme in the fall.  Just have the girls wear the darker color and use lilac for an accent color on their sash or bouquets.  Same with everything else...if you use deep purple for your main color it will not looks out of place in the fall.  If you do this scheme, use yellow as your third color in case your flowers don't come in a lilac.

For the shoes, they will show in a long dress if you tell your seamstress to hem it up a bit so they peep out.  The length of the dress just depends on how casual your wedding is...that's up to you.

For a wedding planner, have you considered a day-of coordinator?  That way you can set up everything in advance to the wedding how you like and then have help to get you through the day. (Which you will need. x 100)
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards