Michigan-Detroit
Options

AWing a day early

I know this isn't wedding related, but I'm so friggin' excited, I have to post it somewhere!!

As some of you may know, Brian is working on his Masters in Computer Science/Information Systems.  His ungrad degree is in Information Systems so the Computer Science classes are a bit outside of his interest/expertise.

Anyway, the only class offered this past semester was an Advance Database class...which is 1) an upper level class and 2) a Computer Science class.  Bri was NOT thrilled.  At all.

He started out ok in the class...did well on the homework assignments.  But the Midterm killed him...he got 50% on it because he struggled with datalogs (one of the concepts) and it was half of the exam. :(  This definitely killed his self-esteem and he questioned whether he should drop the class.  Unfortunately, it is a necessary class for the Masters degree so I convinced him to stick it out and pray the second half was a bit easier to understand.  The prof noticed that Bri was struggling so he offered to do 1-on-1 tutoring sessions once a week (gotta love profs like that!!!).

The second half of the class was a bit better.  Bri got 90%-100% on all of the homework assignments.  But...homework assignments are only worth 25% of the overall grade. :(  Going into the final exam, he figured the best he could hope for in the class was a C...anything lower is a required re-take of the class (Bri's nightmare!!).

Well, he just got his grade back...he got a C+!!!!  AND...the prof said if he comes in for one more 1-on-1 session and goes through some more sample problems, he will bump Bri's final grade to a B!  I am SOOOOOOOO happy!  This past semester truly killed Bri's self-esteem.  I'm incredibly thankful it's over and done and he can move onto classes he excels at!

Thanks for reading...now back to our regularly scheduled wedding talk... :)
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: AWing a day early

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Yay - I'm so glad he's worked through it and it sounds like he's got an excellent prof who cares about his success.

I can sympathize after surviving the brutal accounting course this semester (defintely not my strong suite) it can kill your confidence as you question whether you belong in the program.

Now he can look back and feel good about pushing through a difficult class and succeeding!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_awing-day-early?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:88Discussion:6dc1e280-af5d-4514-8ea0-f1ebeffb3505Post:04421a22-d985-4cce-a5e9-e583d7a1bb50">Re: AWing a day early</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yay - I'm so glad he's worked through it and it sounds like he's got an excellent prof who cares about his success. <strong>I can sympathize after surviving the brutal accounting course this semester (defintely not my strong suite) it can kill your confidence as you question whether you belong in the program. Now he can look back and feel good about pushing through a difficult class and succeeding!</strong>
    Posted by Booger+Bear[/QUOTE]

Exactly!!  I knew you'd understand. :)  Did you get your final grade back for Accounting?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Not yet - took the final on Monday night he said he'd be grading this week so hopefully today or tomorrow.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That is awesome! I too, can understand where he is coming from. Masters programs are very difficult. Congrats to him for toughing it out and working on his grades!
  • Options
    GwenwhyfareGwenwhyfare member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't know what it's like to go through that kind of a course, but I can sympathize with his feeling down about it. That's awesome that you encouraged him to keep going and not give up. Congrats to Brian!
    There is no death. Only a change of worlds
    life | home
  • Options
    sunkissed212sunkissed212 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yay!!!! It's so frustrating to take a class in something that you're really not familiar with. I'm so glad that he listened to his super smart wifey and stuck it out and worked extra hard to make it through. His hard work and dedicaiton has paid off in a big way and what a relief to get that out of the way!  Congrats to him and I think that you guys should definitely go out for sushi to celebrate!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    TTC #1 since 8/2010...2 years, 6 IUI's and 1 m/c later...
    08/2012 IVF #1, 2 5-day blasts transferred 8/19 = BFP! Beta 1 (8/28)=241, Beta 2 (8/30)=457, Beta 3 (9/5)=3,813, u/s 9/13=Twins!, u/s 9/21=Surprise...there's one more! TRIPLETS!
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards