Michigan-Detroit

Wedding planner? Worth it?

I'm thinking about hiring a planner to help me find vendors and organize day of events. I'd really appreciate feedback from those who have or have not had one. I'm on a pretty tight budget and I'm wondering if it's worth it. If it is, who did your wedding?

TIA!!!

Re: Wedding planner? Worth it?

• I didn't vote because I didn't hire a planner but I did hire a DOC and it was worth every penny!
  • Like Liz, I just had a "day of coordinator" not a full blown planner. I highly recommend finding someone to help you on the day of your wedding, especially if you are coordinating multiple vendors (ie venue with separate caterer, bartender). If you have a lot of DIY items it's also helpful because they can set it up for you, not family and friends.

You already mentioned your budget is tight. A planner will not be cheap. I found all the vendors I needed by recommendations here on the Knot or by googling, or by reading vendor reviews on the Knot or other local wedding sites.

• I am my own. I looked only into DOC, but due to my budget... it couldnt swing it. I am, however, having my aunt help out with getting the reception hall together.

Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • How much was everyone's DOC?
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Most of the DOC's in this area run $300-$600, depending on the package you want. The packages are generally dictated by how long (hours) they are on site, and how much support/recommendations you want.

Check the thread at the top of the board with the pushpin that says "vendors".......costs and reviews are there. Keep in mind the costs displayed were when WE secured them, many 1-2 years or more ago.
  • We just recently decided to hire a coordinator since we just decided to move the wedding up to this summer and I know being a full time student I just cant do it all myself. We are having her work with us on vendors, organize our budget and style, and for help on the day of. Looks like it's going to run us about $1100-1300 but imo its totally worth it so that I am not completely stressed for the next 4-5 months.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We have a planner but he is acting more like a DOC due to our long engagement and my control issues.  He did help us find some of our vendors though.  He will be super helpful day of since we cannot even get into the venue until three hours before start time.  I will be to busy with hair, make-up and getting dressed to worry about my vendors and making sure everything is set up.  He is costing us between $1700-$2000.  
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited February 2012
    I agree with PP that a DOC or planner is worth it.  We hired a partial-planning team that covered the last 8 weeks up to the weIl as doing the day-of.  It turned out to be a god-send because my dad got sick and they ended up finishing all of my DIY items, doing my shopping, finding vendors, and then organizing everything the day of.   It was the best investment in our wedding other than the photographer.  

If you're on a tight budget a DOC will help everything on the day of go smoothly.  Believe me, you're going to want that peace of mind on the wedding day :)

Our wedding planners were Daphne and Rajul at Blissful Weddings & Events http://www.blissfulweddingsandevents.com/
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Thanks everyone for the feedback. It is much appreciated :)
  • I just met with a DOC yesterday (Tammara of Grand Jour Events) - for $350 I am going to be getting 6 hours of wedding day coverage (3 hours set-up before the wedding and then 3 hours into the wedding) for over 150 people. TOTALLY seems worth it. She had excellent reviews and the ladies on this board had nothing but good things to say about her, so I'm excited and absolutely going to hire her!
  • I can't say because I haven't hired one yet since we're only planning on getting a DOC but my friend Kirsten hired one for her wedding (I mentioned this briefly in another post) and loved it. She went with The Party Stylist-which is who we think we're going with if they have our date open when we book. On their website it says DOC is $400 for all day coverage which I like better than some of the other ones who charge per hour or don't stay through the whole thing since you never know when something will go wrong.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards