Michigan-Detroit
Options

Future GTG Suggestion

Ok, so I am pretty much not going to be avail to attend anything happening in May or even June, however I came across this:

http://slowsbarbq.com/menu.php?menu=1

Slow's Bar-B-Que - I have heard soooo much about it! I wanna go!

Okay, so Yes, it is in Detroit (we are Detroit knotties!) and YES, it is faarrr from most. Even from me!  but carpool is an option. I live in Farmington Hills, so it's far from me as well. But for the past 1.5 years that I have been a Detroit knottie, I have yet to see a GTG held in "DETROIT". So can we pretty please have a GTG in downtown Detroit soon? At least one! We can even go to a festival at Hart Plaza this summer!
 Something different..pretty please? Anybody with me? Or against me? LOL

P.S. I know Detroit gets a bad rap, but downtown REALLY has some great places. People shouldn't judge and at least give it a try so people can form their own opinions. So think about it! :)

Bran

Re: Future GTG Suggestion

• Options
    amyn1919amyn1919 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i am with you!!! i've always wanted to go to Slows.i've heard so many great things about it...and i love Detroit!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ditto! FI and I always talk about going down there....
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    FI and I have been talking about going to Slo's for nearly 2 years now.  I'd be totally up for that!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh now, Slow's is gooood! Hello plate of pulled pork. It is in kind of a "lonely" area of the D, but it's worth it. Always a line/wait to get in (not sure if they take reservations for groups.)
    June 19, 2010
    Photobucket Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    All I can say is H*LL YEA! We'll have to look into it - maybe for July?
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Brandi, I totally agree with going downtown. I've heard great things about Slow's as well, and wanted to go. July would be awesome too. The weekends of 7/20-11 and 7/24-25 the Tigers are at home. Maybe combine both?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    OMG SLOWS!  yes...it was one of the best meals I've ever had.  And I agree a downtown GTG would be fun.  It is kinda far from the rest of d-town and from most everyone, but carpools would be nice.  I think adding something else fun downtown would also be good!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    yayy!! So we will shoot for July. August!!! Soo awesome!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I went there and it is very expensive!!! I didn't think it was amazing. I like Famous Dave's better.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm all for it! Almost all the GTGs are far for me, so no biggie!
  • Options
    genahubbardgenahubbard member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm in~I  <3 Detroit & think hanging out is fun.
    I don't know if festival time at Hart Plaza would be good or not 'cause the parking is BANOODLES!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    gena - parking isn't a biotch to me becasue I have the PERFCET place that I park every year..easy access to the freeway, and out of all the way of the traffic. I been going since I was born, so I know my way around down there pretty well..lol

$2.75 mac and cheese looks pretty affordable to me...and so does the cheap wings.! yummy. can't wait to at least try it out for my own opinion.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I just looked at the menu and the prices are very comparable to Famous Dave's...maybe $2 more for some of the bigger items (like ribs).  The sandwiches are the same price though.   
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am SUPER DOWN!!!! I am there with effin bells on!!!
    cjae2 Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ooohhhh...I'd be all over that. I've always wanted to go to Slow's. Can they accomodate big groups?
  • Options
    cwimer6154cwimer6154 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I LOVE Slow's BBQ...been there several times and have always had a delicious meal! The mac-n-cheese is amazing! There is absolutely always a wait though.  And yes they do take reservations for parties over 6 people (we just went there in February for my b-day with a group).  I think a Detroit GTG would be a fantastic idea. 
  • Options
    sunkissed212sunkissed212 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like Famous Daves...on a scale of 1-10 I give it a solid 7. But Slows is easily a 13.5.  I'm all for it!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    TTC #1 since 8/2010...2 years, 6 IUI's and 1 m/c later...
    08/2012 IVF #1, 2 5-day blasts transferred 8/19 = BFP! Beta 1 (8/28)=241, Beta 2 (8/30)=457, Beta 3 (9/5)=3,813, u/s 9/13=Twins!, u/s 9/21=Surprise...there's one more! TRIPLETS!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ok - this is decided for either the July or August GTG.

Brandi - Fabulous idea, you get an A+++++++
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Fair warning, Brian might stowaway in my trunk if he knows I'm going out for slow-cooked BBQ.  He lives and breathes for it.  I sure hope you don't mind a guy being there...I could make him wear a wig.  LOL!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You know Taryn, I actually like the idea of doing a 'couples' GTG - it'd be nice to meet the FI/DH of my knotties.

And I like the idea of a Tiger's game too.....let's think about this more because if we get a good sized group that can committ I'll look into group seats for the game and we'll figure out carpooling so everyone doesn't have to pay to park.
  • Options
    sunkissed212sunkissed212 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Brandi, Taryn and Erin all get A+++++'s (because I said so)   Wink
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    TTC #1 since 8/2010...2 years, 6 IUI's and 1 m/c later...
    08/2012 IVF #1, 2 5-day blasts transferred 8/19 = BFP! Beta 1 (8/28)=241, Beta 2 (8/30)=457, Beta 3 (9/5)=3,813, u/s 9/13=Twins!, u/s 9/21=Surprise...there's one more! TRIPLETS!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would love to do a couples GTG too...if others wanted to. :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Taryn, I think a Tiger's game and BBQ would be an awesome GTG and I'd feel a bit guilty NOT including Dan.

Ok so I'm very excited about this and looked into group tickets lol. We'd get ourgroup name on displayed on the scoreboard! The only thing is we'd have to put down a deposit which I'm willing to do but people HAVE to be serious about coming and paying me back because I don't want to get screwed over. I know a lot of times a good 5+ people who say they are coming to a GTG don't show.

I'd like to start getting this organized sooner rather than later if people are serious so we can actually get decent seats and all be together. Methinks a poll is coming lol.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hey....I also might be able to get group tickets for a Tigers game. I know I can get 8 as I have in the past, I could get more, I'm sure. The sooner I know, if you want me to look into it, the better. I'm alllll for it! Allyn would love to come & squee with all of the girls! hahaha If Slows takes reservations for groups...that would be so awesome.
    The only weekend I'm not available is August 6,7,8.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    LOL...I want to squee with Allyn.  He was a riot at the wedding!

We are NOT available July 16, 17, 18 and August 6, 7, 8.  

Brian will be working a random Saturday or two in there as well (he works rotating Saturdays), but the schedule isn't posted yet so I don't know which one(s).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would love to do a couples GTG.  Meeting people in Michigan is hard and we'd love to meet more people!

I'm in for Slow's too (FI will be jealous), he loves BBQ.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't eat meat -but I'll come for some sides. That's right down the street from where I have dance class too - so I should be able to swing both! Count me in.. And I LOVE, LOVE Detroit - we're having EVERYTHING within the city limits!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Photobucket Visit Detroit.Weddings.com

I'm a guest blogger on 12Kwedding.com
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Yes to ALL!  I'm a vegetarian, probably won't do the pull pork sandwich, but mac 'n' cheese would be fabulous!  I would love to do a couples thing, if I can convince the fi that there will be other guys there too!  I think he's a bit fearful of what the GTGs really are.  I try to come up with creative things that we "really" do to keep the mystery...(totally kidding).

Tiger's Game too!  Fun!  We're going on our honeymoon in mid-July, but other than that, hope we do it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards