Michigan-Detroit
Options

Magazine Story Alert: Help Advise Fellow Michigan Brides!

Hi ladies! We're working on a story for The Knot Michigan magazine, featuring real advice from real local brides. And I'd love to hear your input!

What's one great piece of advice you can share with future Knotties planning their Michigan wedding? Anything locally relevant to know (or to watch out for)? Any secrets you've stashed along the way? Or a great piece of advice that's been shared with you?  Anything you think will help out your fellow Michigan brides, we'd love to hear it. 

Thanks!

Susan
Weddings Editor

Re: Magazine Story Alert: Help Advise Fellow Michigan Brides!

• Options
    Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Take in every moment. We got engaged in December and married the following November. The time flew by and the day of especially went by fast. We kept telling ourselves to step back and let everything sink in. Now that the wedding is over, I miss planning. We had a lot of fun coming up with ideas and doing all the DIY projects. I really wouldn't want to plan a wedding for more than a year but I wish it wasn't over yet!

I think taking everything in really helped calm my nerves on the day of, because I was too busy watching what was going on around me rather than get anxious about what was going to happen later in the day. Watch your bridesmaids get ready, have the groom take an hour or so the day of to just hang out with the guys. Dance with everyone. I'm pretty sure I danced to every song at our reception, my feet hurt for a week after, but it was worth every second of it. Just enjoy the day!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Don't let others make you feel ridiculous by planning the wedding quickly.  Sometimes I've felt like others thought I was crazy because I had most of my vendors booked within the first couple months of being engaged.  But you know what?  I got all the vendors I wanted and didn't have to worry about them being booked because I waited too long.  It's your wedding, be excited and do things how and when YOU want to do them!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    For plus size girls, don't stress out, there ARE dress shops (especially in Michigan) that carry samples you can try on!

I can't recommend enough Bombshell Bridal Boutique in Saint Clair Shores (clicky), Alfred Angelo also had a wide selection.
  • Options
    bruna29bruna29 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would tell future Michigan brides to surround themselves with supportive people (either friends or family members). Weddings can cause a lot of drama with everyone putting their own ideas in, so having a strong support system really makes the whole process easier.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Great advice all, thanks! 

Mtishawt:  Would you mind if I asked where you bought your bridal gown?  Did you use a local bridal salon in Michigan?  You can PM me if you'd like.  Thanks again!

Susan
  • Options
    Hi again, everyone! Happy holidays.

We're digging for a couple more pieces of advice, specifically regarding cakes and flowers.  Any great tips on finding a cake baker or florist?  The things you've found to be helpful?  The things you should watch out for?  Who have you found locally that has been a great asset to your wedding?

Thanks again for all your feedback!

Susan Waits
    Weddings Editor
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards