Michigan-Detroit

Transportation HELP

I have been searching for transportation and the prices are just crazy!!!
Limos are so expensive these days.. and between our chapel and reception hall is about 45 mins apart.

Who do you recommend for transportation?

Honestly.. looking for about 1 hour!!! and it needs to be big enough for 12 people.

Need transportation from Shelby Township to Warren.

Another question.. if I do go with a package.. would it be rude to ask the wedding party to chip in to pay for it? On top of their tuxedos, dresses, hair.. etc.? I find it a bit rude.. but I wanted input.

Or should we nix the whole thing and use our own vehicles?

Re: Transportation HELP

• We used the Night Move. Not sure if they have limos, but they do have limo busses. Ours was something like $375 for 3 hours, but they might be able to do less time - can't recall if they have minimums.

I do think it's rude to have the WP chip in. If someone asked me to do that, I'd say "never mind, I'll just drive my car and follow you."

Items for sale & Detroit vendor Reviews:
    www.detroitwedding.weebly.com
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited January 2013
    OK, it's hard to follow your post, but here's my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong).

You want one way transportation from Shelby Township to Warren, taking about an hour. Are you stopping to take pictures, or just having them pick you up at the chapel and drive you to the reception hall?

What I described above, a one way trip, is called a "transfer" in the limo world. I know because I hired Lavda's limos in Warren to drive about 8 of us from my home in Warren to the chapel in Livonia. About the same distance and time. I don't recall the exact price, but when you start talking in the "limo lingo", it tends to be much cheaper. We also hired a small sedan to pick up my 80 y/o parents in Livonia and drive them home to their house in Clinton Twp. These were 2 separate arrangements, each one way. I think the total bill was around $300. The limo that we went in was advertised to seat 10-12, but it would have been VERY tight. Lavda's has a lot of vehicles available, and one way trips are a lot less. They are on 12 Mile Rd west of Van Dyke

Also, I agree with the above post, it would be considered poor etiquette to ask the wedding party who has already bought clothes, etc, to pitch in for the limo. It's ok for the bachelor or bachelorette parties, because those are being thrown in your honor, planned by them. I hired makeup and hair people to come to my home on my wedding day, and informed my bridesmaids if they wanted anything done, they'd be paying........that's beautification, not transportation. If I could have offered to pay, I would have, but they understood. I did cover the limo ride for all, however.

Good luck.
  • Yes.. Im just looking for one way transportation.

And yes I agree that it is rude.. but I was just looking for other opinions.

Thank you for your opinions!!!
  • Sorry, I don't have much to add because I have the same problem but are you getting married at Hope Chapel? Thats where we are having our ceremony. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_transportation-help-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:88Discussion:7f846d79-ad45-41c2-985f-a5cebbdf42fbPost:3b43d111-e2b8-4bb4-8ead-eb218ac1a675">Re: Transportation HELP</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sorry, I don't have much to add because I have the same problem but are you getting married at Hope Chapel? Thats where we are having our ceremony. 
    Posted by kayleern2008[/QUOTE]

Yes I am.. in July.
    We booked the Heritage garden for pictures before the ceremony as well.
    Are you going to decorate it? Im undecided!!! We are crunched on time and with not being about to get in before 4pm to decorate.. that if I did choose to decorate that it would push the ceremony time back..(bc im a perfectionist) So IDK what to do about decorating.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_transportation-help-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:88Discussion:7f846d79-ad45-41c2-985f-a5cebbdf42fbPost:5bac8506-9e18-412c-a487-02f03ab33b9c">Re: Transportation HELP</a>:
    [QUOTE]OK, it's hard to follow your post, but here's my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong). You want one way transportation from Shelby Township to Warren, taking about an hour. Are you stopping to take pictures, or just having them pick you up at the chapel and drive you to the reception hall? What I described above, a one way trip, is called a "transfer" in the limo world. I know because I hired Lavda's limos in Warren to drive about 8 of us from my home in Warren to the chapel in Livonia. About the same distance and time. I don't recall the exact price, but when you start talking in the "limo lingo", it tends to be much cheaper. We also hired a small sedan to pick up my 80 y/o parents in Livonia and drive them home to their house in Clinton Twp. These were 2 separate arrangements, each one way. I think the total bill was around $300. The limo that we went in was advertised to seat 10-12, but it would have been VERY tight. Lavda's has a lot of vehicles available, and one way trips are a lot less. They are on 12 Mile Rd west of Van Dyke Also, I agree with the above post, it would be considered poor etiquette to ask the wedding party who has already bought clothes, etc, to pitch in for the limo. It's ok for the bachelor or bachelorette parties, because those are being thrown in your honor, planned by them. I hired makeup and hair people to come to my home on my wedding day, and informed my bridesmaids if they wanted anything done, they'd be paying........that's beautification, not transportation. If I could have offered to pay, I would have, but they understood. I did cover the limo ride for all, however. Good luck.
    Posted by Sue-n-Kevin[/QUOTE]

Sorry.. I have so much going through my mind all at once. lol.
    Yes looking for one way transportation. And no.. taking pictures before & after the ceremony in the same place. What kind of limo did you book?
  • I used First Student Charter Bus - the school bus easily fit over 20 people and it was significantly cheaper than using a limo or party bus.

Worth checking out, it might not be fancy but it's economical (and I thought it looked cool in some of our pics)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards