Michigan-Detroit

NWR: Anyone been to saugatuck Mi?

So FI and I are in need of a little get away. There has been some major drama in the wedding lately, and while it all worked out...we feel like we need a weekend away from wedding planning and the stress to just enjoy each other. I keep hearing great things about the saugatuck area. Its only a few hrs drive and its off season right now, so pretty cheap to stay there too.

Anyone been?
Daisypath Wedding tickers
200image 167image 32image 1image RSVP Date: May 1st

Re: NWR: Anyone been to saugatuck Mi?

• Ooooh, I have, and I LOVE IT!

I lived in Massachusetts for 6 years, and went to Saugatuck after moving back to Michigan. Saugatuck reminds me so much of a small, seaside town in New England. Very "artsy", lots of cool shops, while I didn't go to the beaches, I did see the marinas and it was really pretty.

A few years ago I went to Petoskey for a work function, and compared it to Saugatuck.

There is a great online pdf here of maps & interests from www.saugatuck.com

http://www.saugatuck.com/Book/images/2011_SVG.pdf

I used www.tripadvisor.com to plan almost all of my CA honeymoon, and this is their Saugatuck page, with top rated hotels, B&B's, etc.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g42683-Saugatuck_Allegan_County_Michigan-Vacations.html

I can totally relate to wanting to get away from wedding planning, LOL. IMO you can't go wrong with Saugatuck.
  • Yes I've been there.  I went in the summer though so I'm not sure how it would compare.

It's very close to Holland though which would make it very easy to go see the tulips that are already blooming apparently.

Otherwise I'm not sure how it would compare.  We spent a lot of time at the lake and it's way too cold for that. (The water that is).

General run down: It's a very nice little town with a lot of touristy shops that are fun to go and browse through.  Could be very nice to go and see them without a ton of people all over the place!

If you need a getaway I think it could be a good one if you're just going to get away!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • I love it there! So peaceful! If you do head there, go to Holland for a few hours. The downtown there is really nice. I wouldn't mind moving there eventually.  :) 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I love Saugatuck! Like Sue said, there are a ton of artsy shops, and everything is right downtown. I often spend hours wandering around. It is very New England-ish, right down to the old-fashioned ice cream shops. There are white picket fences everywhere.

We always eat at The Butler. It's right on the water, and they have really good food.

• Dan and I were thinking of this area for a getaway last year but it didn't happen.  Now I want it to happen THIS YEAR!
  • Yay! Im pretty sure we are gonn go. I know alot of the tourist stuff wont be open, but really...we just want to relax. So thats fine. Walking around the shops and down on the beach sound amazing to me right now. Plus I found a jacuzzi room for $85!
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
    200image 167image 32image 1image RSVP Date: May 1st
  • I went to college in Holland (right near Saugatuck) the whole area is gorgeous! you definitely can't go wrong!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards