Michigan-Detroit
Options

HELP! Looking for venue that meets special needs:

I have been tirelessly searching for a vendor that has everything or close to everything to meet our special requirements.

1. FFIL is invalid in wheelchair, so he needs to be able to get to where we       are.
2. We want our good friends, a local detroit band The Howling Diablos to         have a place to plug in and play, preferrably later than 10 p.m. we are       party people and so are our friends, and we usually don't even get STARTED till 10:)
3. We have an average guest list of atleast 150 ppl
4. We can't afford more than $35 to $40 max per person, although $30             would be magnificent
5. We are huge out doors people, and a huge part of our life is a sport that       all our friends participate in, and we'd like to include it. Its calle FOWLING     (pronounced like bowling with an F), and Its set up similar to                         horseshoes. Combines horseshoes, bowling, and football. you and a           partner  throw a football at bowling pins alternating turns with the                 opposite team.  Anyway, we own a fowling lane and would like to have     it be available for guests to play. Imagine something similar to                         cornhole, only like 1,000 times better  and more fun! you can actually           check it out on www.whatsfowling.com. whew, that was a mouthfull!

We aren't picky about the food, although we both love sushi and I used to be a sushi chef, so we'd like to somehow include it maybe for cocktail hour. We would be down with supplying our own alcohol, a keg and a some cases of wine, and maybe having a cash bar for liquor. Is this tacky? Also, we are way layed back, and very artistic diy personalities. So making compromises on most things is not a big deal for us. We are totally down with a friday night wedding, however, my not so into doing a sunday wedding. My parents have already started suggesting we do a sunday brunch like they did, but can you imagine the howling diablos playing on a sunday after noon? I think not! It's just not us to do it early. 

We are open on dates anywhere from late april through the end of august next year. Any thoughts? We like tents, but having it in someones back yard is gonna be a problem with parking considering how many people we are intending on inviting... 
HELP!!!

Re: HELP! Looking for venue that meets special needs:

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow, that's certainly a tough one.  I don't want to be a downer, but you may have to make some compromises on everything you want. I'd suggest looking for a golf course type place, because that's the only thing I can think of to support your indoor (live band) and outdoor (fowling) requirements. Cherry Creek has menu items in your price range, but the bar is as much as the dinner. 

As far as a cash bar, I've seen girls completely get slammed for suggesting that on the Knot, so I would say the general consensus is that it is tacky. Mostly the rationale is that you're hosting a party, and that it's rude to ask people to pay at your party. 

For sushi, because it's so expensive at venues, I'd suggest you make the rice krispies candy version and do it as a favor or something instead of trying to actually serve it at the wedding.  It will help you get your taste across without racking up your budget.  Here is a DIY tutorial:
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the response. Obviously it would be quite extraordinary to have all these conditions met, and I am not a lunatic so I know I'll have to compromise. I agree with the bar. I would atleast have beer and wine available. We are on the hunt! btw, we are In southfield. I forgot to put that. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_looking-venue-meets-special-needs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:88Discussion:94e3d7b5-f07d-4a24-b0f5-1e74c9897c75Post:b02310a1-317a-4644-8e34-01c387949e68">HELP! Looking for venue that meets special needs:</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have been tirelessly searching for a vendor that has everything or close to everything to meet our special requirements. 1. FFIL is invalid in wheelchair, so he needs to be able to get to where we       are. 2. We want our good friends, a local detroit band The Howling Diablos to         have a place to plug in and play, preferrably later than 10 p.m. we are       party people and so are our friends, and we usually don't even get STARTED till 10:) 3. We have an average guest list of atleast 150 ppl 4. We can't afford more than $35 to $40 max per person, although $30             would be magnificent 5. We are huge out doors people, and a huge part of our life is a sport that       all our friends participate in, and we'd like to include it. Its calle FOWLING     (pronounced like bowling with an F), and Its set up similar to                         horseshoes. Combines horseshoes, bowling, and football. you and a           partner  throw a football at bowling pins alternating turns with the                 opposite team.  Anyway, we own a fowling lane and would like to have     it be available for guests to play. Imagine something similar to                         cornhole, only like 1,000 times better  and more fun! you can actually           check it out on <a href="http://www.whatsfowling.com" rel='nofollow'>www.whatsfowling.com</a> . whew, that was a mouthfull! We aren't picky about the food, although we both love sushi and I used to be a sushi chef, so we'd like to somehow include it maybe for cocktail hour. We would be down with supplying our own alcohol, a keg and a some cases of wine, and maybe having a cash bar for liquor. Is this tacky? Also, we are way layed back, and very artistic diy personalities. So making compromises on most things is not a big deal for us. We are totally down with a friday night wedding, however, my not so into doing a sunday wedding. My parents have already started suggesting we do a sunday brunch like they did, but can you imagine the howling diablos playing on a sunday after noon? I think not! It's just not us to do it early.  We are open on dates anywhere from late april through the end of august next year. Any thoughts? We like tents, but having it in someones back yard is gonna be a problem with parking considering how many people we are intending on inviting...  HELP!!!
    Posted by b4siren[/QUOTE]

Wow that is quite a list.  Try the metroparks.  They let you bring in your own alcohol.  Stony creek has a tent with electricity.  The caterer they use is pretty inexpensive...but I am not sure about them doing sushi.  You could set up your game outside the tent and I am pretty sure that there is a paved walkway going to the tent and if not its flat.  Your band can play until 11:45 pm or something like that.

Its going to be really hard to find a place that meets all of those wants.

HTH  Good luck.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    OMG YOU KNOW THE HOWLING DIABLOS!!? That's my friend's uncle's band... haha soooo random. so very very random. small world!

Anyway, Oak Arbor in Rochester (where we're having our ceremony and reception) is accomodating - they are wheelchair accessible, you may bring in your own alcohol because they do not have a liquor license, and you can find your own caterer (who can serve the alcohol for you if they have a liquor license) within your price range. I'm not sure about the ability to fowling - that's why a park may be best for your situation - but I haven't looked outside too much. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I know it would be crazy to think we could have it all, but what I'm really looking for is some suggestions that meet more than one of the criteria on the list. I know its a tall order, and I'm sure not having sushi or not having fowling would be fine. I guess I just am imagining it in my head, and trying to use jedi powers to bring it to fruition:)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Has anyone heard of Vintage House in Utica? It has decent reviews and it seems to be fairly inclusive. On the website they say all this is included in the price. and they have an out door area. it would be about $35 per person on a friday for banquet service for 2 choices including prime rib  Guaranteed PricesRound Table SeatingWedding Cake cut, served, and/or wrappedHandicapped accessibleChampagne toast for head table (for weddings and anniversaries)Professional waitstaff for entire partyWhite linen tablecloths and white or colored napkinsBeautiful lobby with artium, crystal chandeliers, and baby grand pianoSecurity and well-lighted parking lotHard Wood dance floorCoat check room availableChair covers included on all wedding parties In accompaniment to your meal you will also enjoy… fresh garden salad with house dressing warm rolls and butter seasonal fruit platter fresh vegetable and dip platter assorted relish platter imported cheeses and crackers three chef select saladsServices also include: 6 hour open standard bar and beverage service chair covers with your choice of sash color champagne toast for head table cake cutting, wrapping or servin                                   your choice of color linen napkins
    sorry its redundant, just cut and pasted it. 
  • Options
    Meegles4Meegles4 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I second the idea of a Metropark. My only thing there is I don't know how handicap-accessible they are.

Otherwise, I'd hope most halls are handicap accessible. Some may let you go until 1 a.m. for an extra fee if you're trying to extend the evening. The Grosse Pointe War Memorial had an indoor/outdoor space and the view overlooked the lake. You could also bring in your own alcohol. But, their catering may be out of your budget.

As for the sushi thing...since you used to be a chef, could you make your own to save on costs of having a caterer do it?

As for the bar, cash bars are tacky. But only having a keg and some wine is fine. As long as you don't make guests pull out their wallets, you're good.

Good luck. Come back and let us know what you end up with!
    Items for sale & Detroit vendor Reviews:
    www.detroitwedding.weebly.com
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Mrs0toBeMrs0toBe member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My brother's Friday night wedding reception was at Vintage House in 1996.  It was wonderful!  I haven't been in recently though.

I do remember loving the food - and the dance floor was huge!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I want to clarify: I never intended on having just a cash bar, what I meant was to have beer and wine available, and have a cash liquor bar in addition. I would never expect guests to have to pay to have any alcohol:) I did indeed look up Stoney Creek, and it looks awesome, the only drawback is having all guests have to pay $5 per car for parking. I think we would def end up paying for everyone. Also, I just stumbled upon The Vintage House, and of course, it look alsmost too good to be true. Has anyone had any experience with them? I have to consider my stepmom and what she will like since she is contributing, and she is a little hard to please. I am seriously considering using the FOWLING warehouse where all the fowling leagues are held. It is not in the most favorable of locations though, I know it would be dirt cheap. Its an old toy warehouse in detroit, around 6 and Van Dyke. It does have all the space, a huge round tiki bar, a great sound system, plenty of parking, adequate bathroom facilities, but I would have to really really deck it out. I think they have long square banquet tables too. Its an upstairs space, and below there are students from CCS renting out the spaces. They are all artists, so I could get them involved with decorating. But, I would have to hire a caterer, bring my own liquor, and there really isnt a kitchen. Hmmm... Thoughts? you can see pics of the warehouse on whatsfowling.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards