Michigan-Detroit
Options

Waiting Time

What are you having your guests do while they wait during the time between after the ceremony and before the reception? I'm thinking about more like the ones that don't live close.

I'm having a 1:00 ceremony at a Catholic church and probably a 5:00 or 6:00 pm reception.

Thanks!
Jenny
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Waiting Time

• Options
    larzhopelarzhope member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    they figure it out.  a gap isn't really ideal, but if you can't do a later ceremony they'll come up with something. I was raised Catholic and pretty much every wedding I've been to has had a sizable gap.  We've always went over to a family member's house or went shopping or something.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ditto Larz. They'll figure it out. Some other boards don't like gaps, but it's normal for every wedding I've ever been to. Ours is a Catholic ceremony at 1:30 with the cocktail hour starting at 5. If you have a lot of OOT guests, you can include a "things to do" list with the program, but personally, I think that's a waste of time. I usually just find a bar or nearby mall and wait out the time with friends.
  • Options
    crhein26crhein26 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto previous posts.  You have a wedding and reception to plan.  You can't possibly figure out what people can do in between them.  They will figure it out.  They are adults, it's not like you are sending a kid outside to play in the street!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Brian and Cori 11-19-11
  • Options
    emarston1emarston1 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If your guests are out of town, they may just go back to their hotel room.  Ditto PP about gaps.  They aren't ideal but sometimes they just happen.  Your guests will figure it out.
  • Options
    Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with the prior posts. We went to a wedding in Bay City a few years back, and I think the gap was 3-4 hrs. We just went back to the hotel.

Recently we went to another one, and the gap wasn't so long, maybe an hour. We left the chapel and drove to the banquet hall, and it was NOT OPEN. We ended up going to a local bar, both of us sitting there in our wedding finery, with the local bar patrons. THAT was funny, LOL.

So, a longer gap is probably better. If you are concerned, make sure to put the time the banquet venue opens in your programs and people at least know not to show up too early.
  • Options
    sheshedukeshesheduke member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have a Gap too my ceremony starts at 3 and reception starts at 6. Hopefully people wont mind too much but I am not going to try to figure out what they will do. We don't have many OOT guests and those that are from OOT are staying with local family members so hopefully it will all work out.
  • Options
    Meegles4Meegles4 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I'll have a gap of about 3 hours, maybe slightly less. We will have a decent amount of OOTs. The wedding is in Detroit, and the ceremony is right next to the hotels, so I imagine people will go back there. We've also talked about offering a small tour of the city, but that's TBD.

I think providing people with a list of things to do that are within easy walking/driving distance is fine.
    Items for sale & Detroit vendor Reviews:
    www.detroitwedding.weebly.com
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have a gap as well. I'm getting married at the Troy Historical Museum and Village. We get the property from 1-4 with the ceremony starting at 2. Most likely the Reception will start at 5. The guests are allowed to visit the museum and the grounds of the village till 4. After that, I can't help. I'm too busy trying to figure our own stuff out instead of being worried about what they should do.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards